This delicious and healthy chicken taco soup recipe features chicken, cheese, black beans, garlic, rice, jalapeños, and more. For a real taste of Mexico, you can’t go wrong with this easy Mexican soup. This is quite a nutritious recipe because it is low in fat, yet high in protein and vitamin content.
You can adapt some of the ingredients if you want to, omitting anything you are not keen on and maybe adding some extra vegetables. If you have anything to use up, such as mushrooms or bell pepper, feel free to add them.
The Appeal of Mexican Soup
Soup recipes are very popular in Mexico and that fact often surprises people whose ideas about authentic Mexican food recipes are based on what is available from their local Tex-Mex fast food joint.
Actually Mexicans love to use fresh produce in recipes, which is why the following recipe is so typically Mexican. Caldo de res is another favorite. The following taco soup with chicken recipe is satisfying enough for lunch or dinner. I like to make a big batch and enjoy it several days in a row! You can make taco soup crock pot style too by giving it about 8 hours on low or 4 on high.
This colorful chicken taco soup recipe is heaven in a bowl. It’s similar to restaurant-style chicken tortilla soup but boasts more fresh ingredients. The bright colors make it really tempting and the cilantro and dollop of sour cream (or crème fraiche, if you prefer) on top adds to its delicious south of the border appeal.
Keto Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
You can make this for a low carb diet by leaving out the corn, beans and rice, and adding some extra veggies instead. Enjoy it with some keto-friendly tortillas. I love avocado slices on top of mine.Print
Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
This rich, hearty Mexican soup features chicken, black beans, corn, tomatoes, cheese and more, for an authentic south of the border meal. You can serve extra tortillas on the side or simply serve this soup as is. The rice and chicken make it satisfying enough, without the need for side dishes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 quarts (2 liters) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2 big chicken breasts
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 14 oz (400g) can corn kernels
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ cup (15g) chopped cilantro (fresh coriander)
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14 oz (400g) can black beans or kidney beans
- 3 corn tortillas (or flour if you prefer)
- ½ cup (100g) uncooked white rice
- 2 de-seeded, finely diced jalapenos
- 1 cup (85g) shredded cheese (Cheddar or Mexican blend works)
- Small pot of sour cream
- Oil for frying, as needed
- Sauté the onions in a tablespoon of oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Pour in the water and broth.
- Stir in the rice and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the drained corn, drained black beans, jalapeno, and seasonings.
- Add ¾ of the cilantro.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Chop the chicken breasts and sauté them in oil in another pan until they are cooked.
- Shred the chicken and add it to the soup.
- Slice the tortillas into thin strips and fry them in oil until they are golden and crispy.
- Drain them on paper towels.
- Divide the soup between 6 bowls and add cheese and tortilla strips to each one.
- Garnish with the sour cream and remaining cilantro.
- Adjust the spices if you want it less spicy or more spicy
- This is good with avocado slices on top
Keywords: taco soup recipe, chicken taco soup recipe, Mexican soup recipes, Mexican soups, Mexican chicken soup