Seafood chowder soup is always wonderful this time of year when it’s chilly outside and you crave something warming and comforting. This deliciously creamy seafood chowder recipe will have you feeling like you are eating right there on the coast. With tasty ingredients like scallops, shrimp, crab and calamari, this chowder really delivers on the seafood flavor.
Of course, you can substitute whatever you have on hand; a flaky whitefish like haddock would work well, as would octopus, mussels, or even lobster. This chowder is adaptable, so go for easy scallop chowder, the best clam chowder or even lobster chowder, changing the seafood to match your palate.
Seafood Chowder is Great for the Winter
It has to be said this is an ideal winter soup. Boasting a hearty, thick texture with lots of solid ingredients that you can enjoy, it’s certainly a satisfying choice.
While some home cooks might be intimidated by a chowder recipe, this one is very simple to prepare. It’s versatile too and I can’t think of any kind of seafood or shellfish or even fish which wouldn’t go, so long as you chop the seafood up before adding it. That way, everything is bite-sized.
Before you know it, you can serve your family restaurant-quality soup like this. Serve it up with some thick slices of crusty bread or you could even serve it in a bread bowl. If you want to lighten it up, have a small side salad to help cut the richness.
Seafood Chowder Leftovers
Seafood chowder leftovers are great the next day, so consider making a double batch. The flavors get more time overnight to blend together, giving the soup a true taste of the sea. By all means, go with your favorite seafood varieties or go with what is on sale. This chowder is just as good with only shrimp as it is with the selection posted in the recipe.
Don’t miss out on this delicious recipe just because of your budget. Serve this clam, lobster or shrimp chowder during the holidays, for an everyday dinner, or when you have seafood-loving guests over. It’s so good you’re going to want to make it a permanent part of your meal rotation.Print
Seafood Chowder Soup Recipe
Succulent shrimp, calamari, scallops, crab, and clams are showcased in this rich and creamy seafood chowder recipe. This recipe includes garlic, cream cheese and parsley as well, for a perfect result. Feel free to use whatever fish and/or shellfish and seafood you want.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove
- 1½ (375ml) cups whole milk
- 8 oz (400g) cream cheese
- 15¼ ounce (425g) can whole kernel corn (don’t drain)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 28-ounce (830ml) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Handful of chopped green onions (green onions)
- 1½ cups (210g) chopped potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ pound (225g) shrimp
- ½ pound (225g) calamari tubes
- ½ pound (225g) crabmeat
- ½ pound (225g) bay scallops
- ½ pound (225g) chopped clams
- Heat a third of the milk with the cream cheese and garlic in a large pot over a low heat.
- Stir and cook until well blended.
- Add the soup, green onions, canned corn with liquid, parsley, potatoes, and rest of the milk.
- Stir to mix well.
- Season with black pepper and cayenne.
- Let simmer for 25 minutes but don’t let it boil.
- Add the crab, shrimp, scallops, calamari, and clams to the mixture.
- Let the chowder cook for another 10 minutes or until the seafood is cooked (it will look opaque).
- Serve hot, with crusty bread if liked.
- Enjoy this tasty seafood chowder on a cold, blustery day because it will warm you to the core.
- This thick soup is easily a meal in its own right, but you could also serve it with crusty bread or a green salad.
- It’s a rich soup. You can use low fat options for many of the ingredients to take the calories down if you want to.
- Enjoy this chowder on your own, with someone special, or serve it at your next family gathering.
Keywords: seafood chowder, scallop chowder, shrimp chowder, best clam chowder, shrimp corn chowder, shrimp and corn chowder, lobster chowder, creamy seafood chowder, seafood chowder recipe