Chicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully.
What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken
We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and sherry, plus potatoes (or, if you prefer, use half potatoes and half carrots).
You can tweak the ingredients for Spanish paprika chicken if you wish, if you don’t have something or want to throw something else in there. The chicken stock can be switched for mushroom or vegetable stock. You can also throw in some button mushrooms or bell pepper strips which need to be used up. Any of those would be fine.
Sherry in Spanish Paprika Chicken
Although the sherry is really tasty in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe, and the alcohol will cook off during cooking just leaving the flavor behind, if you really don’t want to use it, just use extra chicken stock instead.
This Spanish paprika chicken is a nice one-pot meal which you might choose to make on a busy weeknight or even on a lazy weekend evening for the family.
It includes chicken, vegetables and a tasty sauce, so you don’t need to make side dishes too if you don’t want to. This is hearty and delicious enough to satisfy everyone’s belly.
This Spanish paprika chicken recipe may be frozen, so you can make double or triple if you have a big enough pot (or two) or else serve it right away, piping hot, to put a smile on everyone’s face. Try some traditional tapas as an appetizer.Print
One-Pot Paprika Chicken
This unusual recipe has Spanish influences and it combines juicy chicken with potatoes, and a spicy sauce to make a wonderful one-pot meal. Spanish paprika chicken offers fresh, wonderful flavors in every mouthful.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, each cut into 4 pieces
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1 diced yellow onion (or 1/2 diced yellow onion and 2 diced green ones)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomato paste
- 1 lb 2 oz (500g) peeled, diced floury potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 11 fl oz (300 ml) chicken stock
- 3 ½ fl oz (100 ml) medium-dry Amontillado sherry
- 4 tablespoon sour cream
- Handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a pot over a moderate heat.
- Season the chicken and add it to the pot.
- Fry for 4 minutes or until browned all over.
- Transfer to a chopping board.
- Heat the other 2 tablespoons of oil in the pan.
- Fry the onion for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sundried tomato paste, potatoes and mustard to the pan.
- Cook for a minute.
- Stir in the sherry, stock, vinegar and paprika.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook it for 2 minutes.
- Put the chicken back in the pan, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off the lid.
- Simmer for another 8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the chicken and potatoes are tender.
- You can freeze it now for up to a month or check the seasoning, then serve in bowls with sour cream and parsley.
- If you want to swap some of the potatoes for carrots, go ahead
Keywords: spanish paprika chicken, chicken with paprika, spanish chicken recipe
Photo by Stu_Spivack, on Flickr