This is a rich and tasty chocolate walnut cake featuring all the best sweet flavors that go amazingly together. Chocolate cake is good, as is walnut cake, but combine the two and – bam! You have an incredible cake boasting the rich taste of chocolate and the distinctive crunch of walnut in every mouthful. This cake is easy to prepare and decorating it with the ganache is a breeze.
To make this flavorful cake you are going to need butter, chocolate, cocoa, coffee, eggs, sugar and walnuts. The frosting uses cream and dark chocolate along with some more walnuts to garnish the finished cake.
When to Make this Chocolate Walnut Cake
This chocolate walnut cake is suitable for all kinds of special occasions, such as a birthday or christening, or you might want to make it if you’re in charge of the dessert part of a potluck buffet or simply because you want to try a brand new cake recipe.
Chocolate walnut cake recipes vary but this one is particularly straightforward so you should find it very easy. It’s best if you have a mixer and microwave, but you can still make it (just with a bit more elbow grease) even if not.Print
Delectable Chocolate Walnut Cake
Chocolate and walnuts pair in this rich and delicious cake recipe. Serve this at a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary. The sweet chocolate and crunchy walnuts are amazing together.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Cake
- 3½ oz (100g) unsalted butter
- 12¼ oz (350g) 70% dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 heaped teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in tiny amount of boiling water
- 6 eggs
- 9 oz (250g) white sugar
- 3½ oz (100g) chopped walnuts
- 1 oz (30g) fine-ground walnuts
For the Ganache Frosting
- 7 fl oz (200ml) heavy whipping cream
- 7 oz (200g) dark chocolate
- 8 walnut halves
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees F).
- Butter and line an 8-inch (20cm) spring-form cake pan.
- Break the chocolate into pieces then melt it with the butter in the microwave.
- It’s best to do this in 30-second bursts, stirring often, but if you prefer you can do it over a pan of simmering water.
- Combine the coffee and cocoa into the chocolate, then stir well.
- Put the eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high for 5 minutes or until it is thick and creamy.
- Fold the walnuts (chopped and ground) into the batter and then fold in the chocolate mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a cake pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- The cake is done when it is dry.
- Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar so the cake can cool completely in the pan in the oven.
- Take the cake out of the pan and put it on a wire tray.
- Break the rest of the chocolate into pieces.
- Heat the cream in a glass jug in the microwave or in a small pan until you see tiny bubbles.
- Don’t let it boil.
- Stir the cream into it and keep stirring until all the chocolate has melted into the ganache.
- A small balloon whisk and a gentle stirring motion are what you need here.
- Let the mixture cool for half an hour or until cool but still liquid.
- Spread a thin layer of ganache over the cake then chill it for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Spread the rest of the ganache over the cake and smooth it with a palette knife.
- Decorate the cake with the walnut halves.
Photo by: KEKO64, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net