Coffee might sound like a strange ingredient to combine with beef, but it does lend this crockpot coffee braised beef dish a very rich and tasty flavor which complements the meaty beef taste. This recipe can be made in the crockpot and you don’t need many ingredients for it.
To make this crockpot coffee braised beef you will need a boneless beef chuck roast weighing about 3 pounds, or slightly over, along with coffee and garlic. Throw in some water, cornstarch, salt and pepper, and those are the only ingredients you need.
Just add your crockpot coffee braised beef ingredients to the crockpot then you can use the cooking liquid to make a tasty gravy which goes over it. I love this with mashed potatoes and vegetables, perhaps carrots and parsnips, or something green like green beans or broccoli (if I were a fan of peas I might choose those). It would also be nice with roasted potatoes.
This recipe serves 12 so if you have leftovers you could use them to make tasty sandwiches. You will need a 4-quart slow cooker to make this coffee roast beef recipe. Just pop the lid on and count on about 8 to 10 hours for a tender result. If you’re in a rush try 4 to 5 hours on high.
How to Tell When Crockpot Coffee Braised Beef is Done
You will be able to tell when it’s ready because the meat will be very tender, but try not to lift the lid until the end of the cooking time because then you let all the heat out of the crockpot and it takes quite a while to build it up again. Giving it an extra hour or 2 isn’t going to do the meat any harm, so don’t worry about overcooking it. It just gets more tender in there!Print
Crockpot Coffee Braised Beef Roast
Beef roast is paired with garlic and coffee to make this exquisite slow cooker recipe. It is really easy to put together and the tender meat is wonderful with mashed potatoes and your favorite veggies.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours 10 mins
- Total Time: 8 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Entree
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 – 3 1/2 lbs or 1.4 to 1.6 kg)
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold water
- 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) strong brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine the garlic, salt and pepper, and rub it over the beef.
- Put it in a 4-quart crockpot and pour the coffee over it.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 hours on low or until tender.
- Put the cooked meat on a serving platter and keep it warm under aluminum foil.
- Skim the fat off the cooking juices and put the rest in a small pan.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Combine the water and cornstarch in a cup.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture gradually into the cooking juices.
- Bring it to a boil then cook, stirring, for 1 or 2 minutes, or until thick.
- Slice and serve the meat with the gravy over it.
- Serving Size: 1/12 of the Recipe:
- Calories: 199
- Sodium: 342mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 74mg