As much as I love salad (and I really do!) I do find myself getting bored with the same old salad recipes over and over. That’s why finding a new recipe or learning a new salad tip or trick is always so great. Take this taco salad for example. Not only can you expect the flavorful flavors of Mexico, but you also get a crunchy taco bowl to serve the salad in. I love to present my taco salad in tortilla bowls because it looks so impressive but is actually easy!
Tortilla bowls are very easy to make and you can do them in the oven. Use cooking spray and you add only a few calories to the tortillas themselves. You can serve any kind of salad in these tortilla bowls but Mexican or Tex-Mex ones are the obvious choices.
Feel free to tweak the recipe, changing any ingredients you want. All kinds of things work when making salad, so go for plenty of flavor add texture in there, and create a real masterpiece for everyone at the table to enjoy. This easy taco salad recipe has a gourmet look because of the tortilla bowl, making it a candidate for a dinner party.
What are you going to put in your taco salad in tortilla bowls? Well, good ingredients to use for your taco salad include lettuce and tomatoes, which are staples, Then you have black olives or black beans and shredded or grated cheese for a splash of colors. Also consider something crunchy like pumpkin seeds.
Shredded pork, beef or chicken, or some shrimp works well in the salad, or simply make it vegetarian. Garnish the taco salad in tortilla bowls with cilantro sprigs.
Can You Make Taco Salad in Tortilla Bowls Ahead?
Yes you can! If you want to make the tortilla bowls in advance, do so, then put them in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 2 days. The following recipe makes 6 so you can halve it if you want, or else just make all 6.
Any used tortilla bowls can be broken into ‘chips’ and served with a dip. You’re going to love this taco salad in tortilla bowls!Print
Tasty Taco Salad in Tortilla Bowls
Tortilla bowls are made by baking tortillas. They are then filled with a delicious Mexican salad recipe which you can tweak to your heart’s content. This recipe is colorful, crunchy and so tasty.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mexican
For the Tortilla Bowls
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup (60g) grated cheese
For the Salad:
- 6 cups (300g) mixed salad leaves
- 1 chopped green onion
- 2/3 cup (120g) shredded cheese
- 7 oz (200g) can drained, rinsed black beans
- 2 diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup creamy dressing (your choice), to serve
- Avocado slices rubbed with lime juice
- Sliced black or green olives
- Pumpkin seeds
- Roasted peppers
- Shredded meat
- Cooked ground beef or pork
- Crispy crumbled bacon
- Anything else you fancy!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Spritz the inside of 6 oven-proof bowls with cooking spray then press a tortilla inside each one.
- Put the bowls on baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle a little cheese in each one then return to the oven for another 2 or 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the tortillas in the bowls for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Fill them with salad leaves, green onion, cheese, black beans, and tomatoes.
- Add any other ingredients you want, then garnish with cilantro sprigs if liked.
- Serve with a creamy avocado dressing, ranch dressing or any other dressing you want.