This lamb curry with sweet potato recipe uses ground lamb rather than stewing lamb, and also includes sweet potato and peas, if you like, along with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and curry powder to season it and add the flavors. This is a winter warmer and something lovely to enjoy on a chilly evening, to make a change from the beef or chicken curry recipes you usually prepare.
An easy curry recipe to make, this lamb curry with sweet potato dish is sure to appeal to all the family, and if you wish to tweak it, for example by swapping the sweet potato for pumpkin, the peas for garbanzo beans, or hot curry powder instead of the mild kind, go ahead and you can really make this recipe your own.
I have made this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato a few times and really love it. It is good with rice or you could serve it with paratha or naan, or another Indian bread variety. The savory flavor of the lamb is incredible with the sweet potato, contrasting wonderfully, and there are various textures to enjoy in this dish too.
Lamb Curry with Sweet Potatoes: Easy One-Pot Curry
What makes this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato dish easy is the fact the curry is made in one pot, so once you have gathered your ingredients together, just add them to the pot in the correct order, following the steps in our recipe, and your reward will be a fragrant, amazing curry that you will really enjoy to the max.
I love making this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato recipe, tweaking the flavors sometimes. Lamb has such a wonderful flavor, and it makes a change from other meats.
Other ground lamb dishes I love include moussaka, Lebanese meatballs and shepherd’s pie – yum! Stock up on ground lamb if you spot some in the grocery store or butcher’s because it freezes well. Just thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before using it in this lamb coconut curry recipe or a similar dish.
Lamb Curry with Sweet Potato and Coconut
Lamb, sweet potato and seasonings combine to make this mouthwatering curry. Served with rice or Indian bread, lamb curry with sweet potato makes a colorful, meaty and warming dinner for the whole family.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian
- 1/2 cup (75g) thawed baby peas
- 14 oz (400g) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 1/2 lbs (680g) lean ground lamb
- 1 cup (235 ml) low-sodium chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1/3 cup (15g) chopped fresh cilantro or mint leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1/2 lb (225g) peeled, diced sweet potato
- Salt and black pepper
- Hot sauce, to serve
- Heat the oil in a big skillet until it starts to shimmer, then add the garlic, ginger and onion.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until a bit tender.
- Add the lamb and cook for 10 minutes or until just browning, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the sweet potato and curry powder, then cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, then season with some salt and black pepper.
- Partially cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potato is soft.
- Stir in the peas and cook, stirring, for a minute or until they are hot.
- Stir in the cilantro or mint.
- Serve with rice or Indian bread, with hot sauce on the side.
- If you want to make this ahead, refrigerate it overnight then simply reheat gently before serving