Lasagna soup without noodles. Is your mouth watering yet? Yes it is possible, so read on! This is a delicious dish and it’s absolutely perfect for fall or winter. Everything you love about lasagna you’re going to love about this lasagna inspired soup. It’s like a mouthwatering bowl of comfort food which you’re going to love, spoonful by spoonful! Like a hug in a bowl.
If you’re avoiding the lasagna noodles though, that’s fine as this recipe doesn’t have any. Now, if you’re avoiding noodles because you’re gluten free, you can use gluten free noodles. Just add them at the end and simmer gently until they’re done.
If you’re skipping pasta because you’re keto, you can make a keto lasagna soup without using noodles. Either use something like palmini (lasagna “noodles” made from artichokes) or use gluten free noodles or low carb tortillas or else just omit them altogether. Your lasagna soup without noodles is going to be delicious whichever option you choose!
If You’re Using Lasagna Noodles
Now, if you do wish to include noodles and you just round this no noodles lasagna soup recipe by accident, simply add them at the end and cook until tender. Another idea is to use tortelloni noodles or actually any kind of pasta you want.
As it’s a soup recipe you’ll want to use pasta shapes rather than, say, spaghetti which is hard eat in soup form – at last without splashing soup all over your top!
Serve this with your preferred toppings and sides. It already comes with a ricotta cheese topping which might be enough as it is. Or else anything you like to top your classic lasagna recipe with, for instance a sprig of fresh basil, is also perfect here.
Serve this soup with your preferred bread (gluten free bread or regular) and maybe a side salad if you want to make it a more substantial meal.Print
Lasagna Soup without Noodles
This delicious soup is based on lasagna, one of the best Italian dishes ever! However, if you don’t want to use noodles for whatever reason, that’s absolutely do-able. This recipe boasts everything you love about lasagna… but just in soup form!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 pounds (1 kg) Italian sausage
- 4 cups (2 liters) beef broth or beef stock
- 1 diced large yellow onion
- 30 ounces (800g) canned diced tomatoes
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 15 ounces (400g) tomato sauce (tomato puree or passata)
For the Cheese Topping:
- 16 ounces (1/2 kg) ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup (120g) shredded parmesan
- 1 cup (120g) shredded mozzarella
- Heat a big pot over a moderately high heat and add the sausage, then cook for 10 minutes or until browned. Drain off the grease.
- Add the onion to the drained meat and cook for 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn down the heat a bit and add the broth or stock, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
- Add the bay leaves, Italian seasoning and black pepper, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then discard the bay leaves and serve with some of the cheese topping on top.
- If you DO want to include lasagna noodles, add 2 cups (2 big handfuls) of lasagna noodles broken into pieces and simmer for 15 minutes or until they’re tender (if you’re using fresh pasta it’ll take less time).
- Feel free to spice things up with spicy Italian sausage if you like.
Keywords: italian, lasagna, soup