This pico de gallo recipe is the same dish that is made in thousands of Mexican households every day. It’s a beautiful and aromatic Mexican condiment, which is served with fajitas or tacos, as well as with nachos, tortillas and even with Mexican salad recipes.
This is the basic pico de gallo recipe but you can adjust the chili level if you want to. This condiment can be compared to a salsa but it is less liquid, which means you, can eat it with a toothpick or with your fingers. It is made with salad vegetables, chili, and lime juice for a fresh flavor. The onion and tomatoes form the base of this recipe and the other ingredients add flavor to it.
This condiment is just as versatile as salsa and you might prefer this on sandwiches because it will not make them soggy like salsa will if you make the sandwiches in advance.
Pico de gallo is best eaten the same day but it does keep for a day in the refrigerator if you have any left over. Feel free to use more cilantro if you like the flavor because it goes so nicely with the fresh-flavored ingredients in this south of the border recipe.
What to Serve with It
You are sure to find a lot of dishes to serve this with, and not just Mexican ones either. Because this is basically a combination of fresh salad ingredients, spiced with lime and jalapeño, you will find it goes nicely with pretty much everything.
This includes snacks from a cheese salad sandwich to a deli meat platter or you could even serve some alongside a baked potato or some grilled fish.
A food processor is very useful for making this. Even though you can finely dice the ingredients by hand, using a food processor takes a few seconds rather than a few minutes, and saves lots of time, especially if you plan on making lots of pico at once.
Make sure you don’t over-mix the ingredients though, else you’ll end up with smooth salsa, instead of this chunky dip!Print
Pico de Gallo Recipe | Tasty Pico de Gallo Salsa
Freshness is the word that springs to mind when you taste this tomato, onion, cilantro, lime, and jalapeño dish. This colorful recipe goes perfectly with pretty much any Mexican food.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 or 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander) leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- This appetizing and colorful Mexican food recipe looks really good in the picture and you can see how the colors and textures go together.
- Use good quality onions, ripe tomatoes, and this pico de gallo will have a perfect flavor. This pico de gallo is similar to the dip you sometimes get with poppadoms in Indian restaurants, although that would not have the lime juice or cilantro in it, which are so typically Mexican.
- Pico de gallo is very popular in Mexico because it goes with so many dishes and because it is so quick and easy to put together.
Keywords: pico de gallo salsa, chunky homemade salsa, pickle de gallo, pico recipe