This pumpkin empanada recipe is easy to follow and the pumpkin filling is delicately spiced. You can omit the cinnamon, ginger, and cloves from the pumpkin mixture if you want to but they do go well with it and bring out the natural sweetness of the pumpkin. There are lots of Mexican recipes using pumpkin actually but this one has to be one of the very best.
Keep an eye on the empanadas while they bake because they can burn quickly. If you are a fan of authentic Mexican recipes want to know how to make pumpkin empanadas the traditional way, this is the perfect recipe. You can serve them hot or cold, with ice cream, cream or just by themselves, the way the Mexicans eat them.
Pumpkin Empanada Recipe Alternatives
These empanadas are always good but Mexico is home to far more delicious dessert recipes than just this one. So if you want to try other Mexican desserts try Mexican fruit, these, or consider this chocolate cake with walnuts
Traditional Empanadas with Pumpkin
So, how do you make pumpkin empanadas the traditional way? This recipe is very close to it and the results are authentic. If you have tried pumpkin empanadas from a Mexican bakery, you will recognize the wonderful flavor in this homemade version.
Both the pastry and the pumpkin filling contain both sweet and savory ingredients. This pumpkin empanada recipe makes little treats which are probably more sweet than savory but it is a good blend.Print
Pumpkin Empanada Recipe
These sweet treats are ideal for the fall. Pumpkin is such a fall favorite, as are apples. Bring a touch of autumn to your dinner table as well as the sweet appeal of pumpkin and a south of the border taste.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
For the Empanada Dough:
- ¾ cup (200g) lard or vegetable shortening
- 3 cups (385g) flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
For the Filling:
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 15 oz (425g) canned pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Combine the filling ingredients and set this mixture to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Mix together the sugar, water, yeast, salt, cinnamon and baking powder and blend in half the flour with an electric mixer.
- Add the shortening and mix well.
- Blend in the rest of the flour.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts, then each of those parts into 4 dough balls. You will end up with 16 dough balls.
- Flatten the dough balls between your palms and roll them out on a floured surface to get 1/8-inch thick 4-inch diameter circles.
- Put 1 ½ tablespoons of pumpkin filling in the middle of each dough circle, fold them over and seal the edges on both sides by pressing down with a moist fork.
- Bake the empanadas on a greased cookie sheet for 18 to 20 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Pour a little powdered sugar over the empanadas and use the rest to garnish the serving plates.
Spiced pumpkin empanadas are really flavorful and they are also very easy to make. Because you are using canned pumpkin for the filling, you are not limited to the months when fresh pumpkin is in season.
You can make these little treats at any time. Kids love these sweet empanadas but so will the adults. If you wanted to learn how to make pumpkin empanadas, this is a very good recipe because it is easy to follow and the sweet and savory blend works really well.
Keywords: pumpkin empanada, fruit empanada, dessert empanada