Rice stuffed zucchini is quick and easy. Try this version! It’s a great recipe for stuffed zucchini, or stuffed courgette if that’s what it’s known as in your neck of the woods. You can cut your zucchini in to ‘boats’ or lengthwise strips or into wide slices. Perhaps you can get mini zucchini, or 8-ball zucchini, in which case one of those makes one serving.
For the filling we are using rice, vegetables and walnuts, along with some garlic, thyme and cheese for added flavor. Feel free to tweak any of the ingredients in this rice stuffed zucchini . Pecans would work in place of the walnuts, or you could sub parsley, basil or even mixed dried herbs for the thyme.
First we are going to take the pulp out of the zucchini and just leave ½-inch or so on the skin. Then the vegetables are sauted and combined with the aromatic ingredients. Add in the zucchini pulp and rice, and spoon this mixture into your prepared zucchini pieces. You can then bake them in the oven, covered with foil so they don’t burn or dry out.
Take the foil off at the end for a while so the cheese on top can melt and turn golden brown. When the cheese is golden brown and bubbling, the rice stuffed zucchini is ready to serve.
Rice Stuffed Zucchini – How to Serve It
This rice stuffed zucchini makes a nice main dish for a vegetarian or you could serve one slice alongside meat for a carnivore. Either way, the flavor will be great, and this goes with any kind of side dish, or as a side dish for some kind of meat, poultry or seafood entrée. Once you have made this, you might like to swap some of the ingredients to make it the next time.
Honestly, all kinds of filling ingredients work here – mushrooms, spinach, fresh herbs, any kind of nuts, raisins – just add whatever you like and make the rice stuffed zucchini recipe your own. If you want to serve this as a main dish, feel free to add some chopped cooked ham, chicken or shrimp into the mix. Add it when you add the rice to the pan.
Veggie Rice Stuffed Zucchini with Nuts
Zucchini is stuffed with rice, nuts and vegetables, and flavored with garlic and herbs. This makes a wonderful entree or you can just serve one or two pieces as a side dish. This is so healthy and tasty.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- 2 large zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 peeled, seeded, chopped tomato
- 7 oz (200g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 7 oz (200g) corn kernels
- 2 cups (360g) cooked rice
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups (225g) shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Cut each zucchini in to several pieces depending on their size.
- You can either cut them into slices like in the photo or else cut them in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the pulp and roughly chop it.
- Sauté the onions with the bell pepper and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini pulp and walnuts.
- Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, tomato, corn, thyme, and some salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stuff the zucchini pieces with the rice mixture, then add the cheese on top.
- Arrange them in a baking dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Discard the foil and bake the zucchini for another 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Photo by: Apolonia, at FreeDigitalPhotos.net