Duck legs are much simpler to cook than duck breast, although that is not difficult either. Moreover they are nearly impossible to overcook because of the fat content keeping them succulent. All you need for the following easy roasted duck legs recipe are duck legs, thyme, salt and pepper, although you can also cook potatoes in the oven with the duck if you wish.
Adding Potatoes to Your Easy Roasted Duck Legs
If you do want to cook potatoes with the duck, simply peel and chop or slice potatoes and arrange them around the duck in the oven, then they can cook together. The reason I usually roast the potatoes is because the fat coming out of the duck cooks them and crisps them up fantastically.
What to Serve with Easy Roasted Duck Legs
Alternatively this duck is fantastic with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable, such as broccoli, green beans, spinach, snow peas, or even mixed veggies. Leftover meat can be frozen for up to 3 months and thawed overnight in the refrigerator, then used cold or gently reheated.
The exact cooking time for your easy roasted duck legs depends on what kind of potatoes you are using (if any) and how small you cut them. It also depends on your oven so this might take an hour, it might take two, or maybe somewhere in between.
This is a low carb duck recipe if you do not serve potatoes with it and it is perfect if you are low carb eating but getting tired of beef and chicken. Duck always makes a wonderful change and the flavor is unique and incredibly good.Print
Tasty Easy Roasted Duck Legs
Duck legs are naturally succulent and juicy, and roasting them in the dry heat of the oven seals in their flavor, locks in the juices, and crisps up the skin beautifully. You will find this recipe really easy.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Entree
- 2 duck legs
- 1 lb (450g) potatoes (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat a roasting pan on the stove and sear the duck skin side down until some oil comes out of it.
- Turn the duck legs over so they are skin side up and remove the pan from the heat.
- Chop the potatoes into slices or small cubes if you are using them, and arrange them around the duck legs in the roasting dish.
- Add some sprigs of thyme, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Roast for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, turning the potatoes (if using) occasionally.
- When the duck is done and the potatoes are crispy and tender, serve hot.