Best Stuffed Squid Recipe with Sauce
I love making stuffed squid and I enjoy trying out new recipes, but this is the one I usually made because my husband is crazy about it. Use big squid tubes to make this recipe and only fill them two-thirds full so the filling does not expand and come out. This is, in my opinion, the best stuffed squid recipe with sauce. I love the texture, the flavor… everything!
You will need to clean the squid first, unless you are using the cleaned type. I usually get ready-cleaned ones, and I can get a package of 5 frozen ones from the Chinese store. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and they are great.
When cooking the squid, cook them until they are tender. This means a knife should slip through easily. Squid needs to be cooked either for a very short time (like a minute) or for a long time (like 45 minutes) because it relaxes then toughens then relaxes again. Squid should never be chewy!
Such a Tasty Filling Idea
I love the filling in this best stuffed squid recipe with sauce recipe because it is flavorful without being too rich and it complements the squid itself. I usually get squid tubes and baby squids separately and thaw them together but you might have a squid with attached tentacles, so just use what you have.
This best stuffed squid recipe with sauce recipe takes just over an hour to make from scratch so start it in plenty of time. You will need to flip the squid a few times while it is braising but otherwise you do not have to watch it all the time. Serve this with a fruity red wine, something Italian if you can get it.
Although it is best to ensure the squid is covered with the sauce when cooking, I find my squid is a little too big and my pan is a bit too wide, so I just ladle the sauce over the top and flip the squid often. It still comes out very tender!
How to Present the Best Stuffed Squid Recipe with Sauce
I like to slice finished stuffed squid into 4 or 5 slices. The filling sets (thanks largely to the egg, cheese and breadcrumbs) so don’t worry that it is going to ooze out when you cut the squid because it shouldn’t. Even if it does a little bit don’t worry. It will just offer a homemade charm that frozen stuffed squid (is there such a thing?) could not possible have.
I like to contrast the squid with a nice fresh salad. Pick out some salad greens and add those to the plate with cucumber slices and a creamy dressing, or whatever you personally like. Another option is a cooked side dish such as green beans or asparagus.
- 2 cleaned big squid tubes
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 finely chopped squid tentacles
- 2 oz (60g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 oz (30g) grated parmesan
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 3 anchovy filets in oil
- 14 oz (400g) polpa di pomodoro (tomato pulp or passata)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stuffed squid tubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves and some sprigs to garnish, if liked
- For the filling, heat the oil in a skillet and fry the tentacles for a minute.
- Drain and put in a bowl with breadcrumbs, garlic, parmesan, pine nuts, egg and parsley,
- Add salt and black pepper and toss to combine.
- Divide the stuffing mixture between the squid tubes, leaving some room at the top, and secure with a cocktail stick.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a skillet, add the stuffed squid and cook gently for 12 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and anchovies, and cook more, stirring until the anchovies have nearly dissolved into the oil.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until the squid is tender.
- Cut the squid tubes to ½ inch (1 cm) thick pieces to serve.
- Spread a spoonful of sauce on a plate then arrange cut squid pieces on top and garnish with oregano sprigs if liked.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Refreshing Orange Mint TeaAlthough this is called orange mint tea there is no actual tea in there, so it is more than an infusion. The mint leaves are steeped in the mixture though, like tea would be. Feel free to swap the sugar for honey or sweetener in this orange mint tea if you wish, and you can also serve it hot or warm, although it is especially good served cold. If you are growing your own fresh mint, take the opportunity to make this wonderfully refreshing tea with it. After dissolving the honey or sugar in the orange mint tea, you may cool it and freeze it for future use if you want. It freezes just fine. Else just serve it with plenty of ice. This is a .....
- Vintage 1970s Kitchen Ideas and Accessories1970s kitchen ideas are considered to be retro, and many people are choosing this style for their kitchens today. Retro is a style that can be difficult to determine; however, many designers consider the 1960s and 1970s to be the perfect retro era. Introducing Retro Vintage Kitchen Style Kitchens are the perfect place to use retro items, and you can enhance the room wonderfully using fewer accessories than you might think you need. It is not hard to find such pieces either, even though the seventies were 40 years ago. You can also get reproduction pieces in the iconic 70s design rather than vintage ones, depending what you prefer. Pick out .....
- Chicken Fajitas RecipeHere in this excellent chicken fajitas recipe, we are pairing spiced chicken with delicious veggies, soft tortillas and whichever condiments you want to add. It makes a lovely dinner for any occasion. Although a lot of people assume fajitas are Mexican they are actually Tex-Mex. The word ‘fajita’ refers to barbequed meat which is served on a tortilla. Onions and bell peppers usually feature in these recipes, along with lettuce, sour cream, salsa or pico de gallo, tomato, and/or guacamole. Skirt steak is the original meat used to make a chicken fajitas recipe, and this tough cut of beef which is amazing when slow cooked has soared .....
- The Secret of Crispy Sweet Potato FriesSweet potato fries are always good and they pair well with many a snack – with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries. I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries but what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer and I am sharing my recipe with you below. Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes .....
- Easy Eggs BenedictEasy eggs Benedict is one of the most amazing breakfast recipes ever. A toasted English muffin is topped with Canadian bacon, poached egg and finally homemade Hollandaise sauce for a rich, creamy and mouthwatering eat. There are plenty of recipes online for diet versions of this dish but in my opinion nothing beats the real thing, so save this for a special occasion like your Christmas morning breakfast, or make it for someone’s birthday if you are concerned about the fat/calories or whatever. Made this way, you are sure to end up with the most mouthwatering version of the dish – the original version. If you are making this for vegetarians, .....
- Spicy Potato CakesSpicy potato cakes go beautifully with any poultry, meat or fish dish, as an alternative to hash brown, boiled or mashed potatoes, or even rice, pasta or other starchy sides. Something else you can do with these spicy potato cakes is serve them for breakfast, perhaps with fried eggs, mushrooms and a sausage or some bacon strips. They are also nice served as a snack with sour cream on top. The spicy potato cakes recipe is Indian influenced, and a lot of Indian dishes feature spices. Adding spices to something doesn’t mean the taste has to be fiery hot. Instead you can add a fragrant, aromatic touch by carefully selecting which spices .....
- Easy Lamb Shanks with Garlic and HerbsLamb shanks are always good although they tend to be more expensive nowadays than before. Go back a few years and the price was much lower, the reason being well-known chefs are beginning to serve lamb shank recipes in their restaurants, pushing up the price. This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe is reminiscent of classic lamb shank dishes. Never mind about the price being more than it was. Lamb shanks are not prohibitively expensive, they make a great dish, they are easy to cook and the meat, when cooked properly, is falling-apart tender and oh so flavorful. I like to cook easy lamb shanks with garlic often and I tend to cook them in the .....
- Authentic Spanish Omelet RecipeSpanish omelet, or tortilla espanola as it is also known, is a combination of potatoes and eggs, giving you not only a ton of flavor, but also a protein and energy boost. You can eat a Spanish omelet recipe hot, chilled or at room temperature. I Love This Spanish Omelet Recipe! When I lived in the Canaries and mainland Spain, a Spanish omelet recipe was one of my favorite tapas, and sometimes I would indulge in a Spanish omelet sandwich in crusty bread with aioli (garlic mayonnaise) and a touch of ketchup too. Oh – and a slice of cheese. Now that was a real treat! The main ingredients you need to make tortilla espanola are eggs and .....
- Octopus and Squid Stir FryLast night I decided to make seafood so I grabbed some raw squid (calamari) tubes and also 2 cooked octopus legs. I had an idea of how to cook them but wasn’t sure how to reheat the octopus without it going tough. I really wanted an octopus and squid stir fry though, so I went ahead with it. On the package it said to give it a couple of minutes in the microwave but I wasn’t keen on that idea. Instead I prepared a stir-fry type dish with the squid, then added the octopus at the end and just stirred it into the rest of the mixture until it was warmed through. It came out really well and octopus and squid stir fry is something I .....
- Watermelon Mint Detox WaterDetox water recipes are all the rage these days, and little wonder when the concept is basically about making plain water delicious so you want to drink plenty of it. Water is absolutely essential but a lot of people struggle to drink enough of it. Once you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated and in need of this watermelon mint detox water or something similar. The obvious answer to this problem is flavoring regular water (tap water, bottled water, filtered water, whatever you like) with fruit, perhaps adding some kind of fresh herbs or spice to boost the flavor further. This recipe is one of my favorites. We are incorporating watermelon .....