Best Stuffed Squid Recipe with Sauce
I love making stuffed squid and I enjoy trying out new recipes, but this is the one I usually made because my husband is crazy about it. Use big squid tubes to make this recipe and only fill them two-thirds full so the filling does not expand and come out. This is, in my opinion, the best stuffed squid recipe with sauce. I love the texture, the flavor… everything!
You will need to clean the squid first, unless you are using the cleaned type. I usually get ready-cleaned ones, and I can get a package of 5 frozen ones from the Chinese store. I thaw them overnight in the refrigerator and they are great.
When cooking the squid, cook them until they are tender. This means a knife should slip through easily. Squid needs to be cooked either for a very short time (like a minute) or for a long time (like 45 minutes) because it relaxes then toughens then relaxes again. Squid should never be chewy!
Such a Tasty Filling Idea
I love the filling in this best stuffed squid recipe with sauce recipe because it is flavorful without being too rich and it complements the squid itself. I usually get squid tubes and baby squids separately and thaw them together but you might have a squid with attached tentacles, so just use what you have.
This best stuffed squid recipe with sauce recipe takes just over an hour to make from scratch so start it in plenty of time. You will need to flip the squid a few times while it is braising but otherwise you do not have to watch it all the time. Serve this with a fruity red wine, something Italian if you can get it.
Although it is best to ensure the squid is covered with the sauce when cooking, I find my squid is a little too big and my pan is a bit too wide, so I just ladle the sauce over the top and flip the squid often. It still comes out very tender!
How to Present the Best Stuffed Squid Recipe with Sauce
I like to slice finished stuffed squid into 4 or 5 slices. The filling sets (thanks largely to the egg, cheese and breadcrumbs) so don’t worry that it is going to ooze out when you cut the squid because it shouldn’t. Even if it does a little bit don’t worry. It will just offer a homemade charm that frozen stuffed squid (is there such a thing?) could not possible have.
I like to contrast the squid with a nice fresh salad. Pick out some salad greens and add those to the plate with cucumber slices and a creamy dressing, or whatever you personally like. Another option is a cooked side dish such as green beans or asparagus.
- 2 cleaned big squid tubes
- Salt and black pepper, as needed
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 finely chopped squid tentacles
- 2 oz (60g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 oz (30g) grated parmesan
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 3 anchovy filets in oil
- 14 oz (400g) polpa di pomodoro (tomato pulp or passata)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stuffed squid tubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves and some sprigs to garnish, if liked
- For the filling, heat the oil in a skillet and fry the tentacles for a minute.
- Drain and put in a bowl with breadcrumbs, garlic, parmesan, pine nuts, egg and parsley,
- Add salt and black pepper and toss to combine.
- Divide the stuffing mixture between the squid tubes, leaving some room at the top, and secure with a cocktail stick.
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a skillet, add the stuffed squid and cook gently for 12 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and anchovies, and cook more, stirring until the anchovies have nearly dissolved into the oil.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until the squid is tender.
- Cut the squid tubes to ½ inch (1 cm) thick pieces to serve.
- Spread a spoonful of sauce on a plate then arrange cut squid pieces on top and garnish with oregano sprigs if liked.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée PotsThese are fantastic for Halloween, and suitable for the kids and grownups too. The desserts are served in little jars and you can tie some black ribbon around them to add that festive feel. Why not try this Halloween candy corn brûlée pots this Halloween? The recipe is made in stages. You will be making several layers, then assembling the Halloween candy crème brûlée pots at the end and using a kitchen torch to get the sugar topping nice and crispy. If you don’t have a kitchen torch just omit the last part. Halloween Candy Corn Brûlée pots Make Great Halloween Fare Halloween is a great time to experiment in the kitchen. You can rustle .....
- Unusual Japanese ToiletsJapanese toilets have become a popular addition to many bathrooms all over the world, as people are realizing these top-quality additions are perfect in every way. Unusual Japanese toilets are something worth finding out more about. They’re just intriguing! The toilets which you can find in Japan are typically more advanced than toilets which are manufactured anywhere else in the world. There are two main designs of the toilet commonly found in Japan – the squat toilet and the bidet toilet. The older style squat toilet is often seen in public toilets but this is not a style that appeals to average households who are more included .....
- The Most Famous British StartersBritish food is considered by some non-Brits to be boring or stodgy. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Great British starter recipes include such delights as prawn cocktail, brown Windsor soup, cheese and tomato tartlets, homemade pate and more. Learn more about famous British starters and you will be able to rustle up all manner of delicious fare. In Wales you might find Welsh rarebit on the menu, which is basically grilled cheese on toast, but beer and Worcestershire sauce are used in the traditional recipe. Scottish food varies as widely as Scotland itself does but Scottish soups like cock-a-leekie and Scotch broth usually go .....
- Steamed Wontons with TofuThis recipe combines tofu, cabbage and carrot with delicious seasonings like hoisin sauce, sesame oil and more, for sensational steamed wontons. Whether you are a vegetarian and therefore looking for vegetarian wontons, or whether you just like tofu, there is no doubt this steamed wontons with tofu recipe is fantastic. Tofu is really versatile and you can stir-fry it, bake it, grill it (the firm kind anyway) or use it in a vegetarian wonton recipe as a substitute for another kind of protein, and it will soak up all the other flavors in the dish, and offer a pleasing texture as well. Maybe you are wondering how to use a bamboo steamer and the .....
- Easy Wonton Recipes with PorkWontons are great when served as a snack or appetizer and if you have only ever eaten meat ones in a Chinese restaurant or had them from a takeout, you really are in store for a treat when you make your own easy wonton recipes with pork. Any home cook will be able to manage this recipe without too much effort although, like with most dishes, the more you make these, the easier the process will seem to become. Different Cooking Methods for Easy Wonton Recipes with Pork Deep-fry them for crispy, crunchy snacks, or steam or simmer them for a softer result. You could even poach them in your favorite broth for a wonderfully warming lunch or .....
- Traditional British AppetizersTraditional British Appetizers from all Over the UK It’s true that the UK is home to so many delicious traditional British appetizers. Whether you fancy reproducing the tasty dishes from English, Ireland, Scotland or Wales, there are lots of different recipes you can play around with, to make the most mouthwatering dishes for your friends or family. From classic English prawn cocktail to Scottish seafood dishes, Irish onion rings with Guinness or Welsh rarebit, there are traditional british appetizers for all occasions. These starter recipes, as they are known in the UK, or appetizers as they are known in the US, offer something for .....
- Authentic Chinese Wonton SoupTraditional Chinese food recipes are fascinating and following these will allow you to prepare the meal as it has been made and enjoyed for centuries. Every element of the authentic Chinese wonton soup recipe including the ingredients, preparation and serving suggestions are authentic. The original style of preparing and cooking the Chinese recipes are incredible, and will allow you to indulge in top quality Chinese foods, keeping things traditional at every stage. Ensuring that Chinese Food Recipes are Traditional You may enjoy Chinese food, but what you purchase in the local takeout or eat at a Chinese buffet is unlikely to be .....
- Ground Beef Wontons with Green OnionThese delicious ground beef wontons with green onion contain ground beef and green onions of course, along with soy sauce and more. You can either steam or simmer them, and you can even freeze them and cook them from frozen whenever you have a wonton craving! If you are wondering just how versatile wontons are the answer is… very! They can be steamed, boiled, baked or deep fried, and they can be filled with all kinds of wonderful fillings. Pork and shrimp make a typical filling, while other wonton recipes like Crab Rangoon wontons are also popular. Then there are beef recipes such as this one, and beef is both filling and rich-tasting, .....
- Lahmacun Turkish Pizza RecipeEveryone loves pizza but perhaps you are becoming a little bored with your usual pepperoni or meat feast option. In that case, it might be high time you try something brand new like our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe. Just about every cultures has its own take on pizza. It really is a global phenomenon. In Turkey, lahmacun is a typical dish, and it is basically a pizza base topped with meat and Turkish flavors. What Goes on Top of a Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe Also known as an Armenian pizza recipe, a lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is usually topped with either lamb or beef, along with minced veggies and herbs, including tomatoes, onions and .....
- Hot Honey and Lemon Drink for the FluNobody likes to be suffering with a cold or the flu but if you are unfortunate enough to have it, then the good news is there is a wonderful hot honey and lemon drink for the flu you can make yourself quickly and easily, which will help you feel better. All you need are honey and lemon to make this hot honey and lemon drink for the flu, as well as some hot water, so while the kettle is coming to a boil, you can squeeze some fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have any lemons then squeezy lemon juice will do at a pinch. You might also want to add some whiskey, brandy or your favorite liquor. Although this does not do much for your cold or .....