This is not a stuffed squid recipe like many of our other soup recipes with squid but it is too good not to include on here. Oh yes, Spanish squid soup is one of the best soups I know, and it’s worth learning the recipe.
The recipe features squid of course, and also potatoes, onion and tomato. Aromatic flavor comes from the chilies, thyme, garlic and balsamic vinegar. The green beans are optional but they look attractively colorful so if you want to use them then just throw them in after topping and tailing them.
The Spanish squid soup recipe is very simple to prepare. Once all the ingredients are in there you need to let it simmer for 3 or 4 hours so the flavors can really meld, and so the squid can tenderize. Just imagine how wonderful this is going to smell while it’s cooking!
Try serving this with warmed crusty bread, since that is how it would be served in Spain. You will know when it is ready. The squid will be tender not chewy, so just taste a bit and see how it is. If it is not tender enough, give it more time. You need to ensure the squid in this Spanish squid soup is perfect.
Spanish Squid Soup: Spicing Things Up
It is up to you how much chili you add. In fact you can leave it out altogether if you wish, or use sweet bell pepper instead for a milder result. This is a wonderful way of using squid and if you want a tasty Spanish squid recipe but do not mind it not being stuffed then why not try this?
Because of the extended cooking time it’s not the kind of dish you can decide to make 10 minutes before eating, but begin it after lunch then let it simmer gently until dinner time. You will be very glad you chose to make this Spanish squid soup because the taste is magical.Print
Spanish Squid Soup with Potatoes
Enjoy the typical Mediterranean flavors in this squid soup and enjoy squid the way the Spanish do. Hearty and delicious, this makes a very special dinner or supper, and presents the squid tender and juicy.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1 lb 2 oz (500g) squid
- 1 chopped red onion
- 14oz (400g) can tomatoes
- 4 oz (100g) green beans (optional)
- 1 chopped red or green chili pepper
- Water, as needed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 lb (450g) potatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chop the squid into rings.
- Sweat the onion in the oil for 12 minutes or until tender.
- Add the squid, tomatoes, thyme, garlic and vegetable stock powder, as well as the balsamic vinegar.
- Stir the mixture well.
- Fill the can from the tomatoes with water and add that to the pot along with the chilies.
- Bring the soup gently to a boil and simmer with the lid on over a very low heat for 3 or 4 hours, or until the squid is soft.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into small 1/2 inch (1 cm) cubes.
- Add to the soup with the beans (if using) and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Mash the potatoes into the soup roughly.
- Add some black pepper to taste.
- Serve in warmed bowls with crusty bread on the side.
Photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net