Classic Crackslaw Recipe
Perhaps you have read about the classic crackslaw recipe on a low carb forum or one of your friends has been raving about it but what is crack slaw and why is it called that?
Well, first things first, crackslaw is supposed to be addictive, which is how the name came about, but don’t worry, there is nothing illegal in it! It is addictive in a good way because it is a filling low-carb meal packed with nutritious ingredients.
What’s In a Classic Crackslaw Recipe?
This is an oriental inspired recipe featuring ground meat (or poultry or a vegetarian alternative) as well as cabbage or coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrot, usually). The dish is spiced up with ingredients like soy sauce, ginger, hot sauce and more.
It is impossible to describe just how good this dish is. You will need to make it for yourself to find out. I love it so much that I have experimented with different recipes so you can take your pick from the ones I have. All crack slaw recipes are great! And you can even make up your own classic crackslaw recipe.
Different Recipes for Crackslaw
Perhaps you want to make the classic Crackslaw that Atkins dieters all over the globe turn to when they crave comfort food without the carbs, or maybe you want to try this dish using ground chicken or even TVP instead of beef.
There are plenty of ways to make it so if you want to find out how to make crackslaw, keep reading for the classic recipe or experiment with some of the alternative ones.
Classic Crackslaw Recipe Tips
This dish is perfect for adapting and you can make all kinds of adaptations.
You will also find ways to give the dish a Greek or even Mexican slant, if you fancy using the ground meat and chopped veggies but you don’t want to use the Asian seasonings. You can do whatever you want with crack slaw – just tailor it to your requirements and make it perfect for your palate.
Whether you want your classic crackslaw recipe mild, spicy or somewhere in the middle, cabbage-loaded or leaning more towards other vegetables, sweet (artificial sweeteners in liquid form are carb-free, remember) or savory, there is a perfect crackslaw recipe for you, to satisfy your taste buds and leave your tummy feeling satisfied.
- 1 lb (450g) ground beef
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon or 1 sachet artificial sweetener
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 sliced green onions (spring onions, scallions)
- 14 oz (400g) coleslaw mix (or shredded white cabbage)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet and season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
- Drain off the fat if you wish.
- Heat up the sesame oil and sauté the garlic, onions and coleslaw mix or cabbage in there until the cabbage is cooked to the desired tenderness.
- Stir in the hot sauce, soy sauce, sugar or sweetener, vinegar and ginger.
- Add the ground beef back in and mix well to combine.
- Serve your classic crackslaw recipe with hot sauce on the table for people who like it extra spicy.
Classic Crackslaw Recipe Ingredients
You might kid yourself into thinking you are ‘cheating’ on your low carb diet because this tastes just as good as Chinese takeout, but honestly the carb count is really low, so you might as well enjoy the meal. And you can have a second bowlful if you want because you are just eating cabbage, carrots and some very carefully chosen seasonings to give you all the wonderful flavors you need to satisfy your tum!
So, first of all the hot sauce for your classic crackslaw recipe. I usually use Tabasco sauce because I live in Holland and that’s about all I can get! I use Amoy sesame oil, firstly for that reason and second because it’s tasty. White wine vinegar is great and works nicely, just regular white wine vinegar or another kind of wine vinegar. Try rice vinegar if you want.
So what about the soy sauce in a classic crackslaw recipe? Well I used to use Kikkoman soy sauce because it had a very rich, clean taste, but lately I have been using tamari which is wheat-free soy sauce and actually lower in carbs because it doesn’t have the small amount of wheat soy sauce has. Check the label when you’re using soy sauce because some are carby and that isn’t what you want to be putting into this.
By the way, if you like sashimi (Japanese style raw fish) then tamari is better for dipping anyway. I use ground ginger which tastes fine in the crackslaw. I also keep fresh ginger in the freezer, and that can be grated (from frozen) into the pot of crackslaw.
You Won’t Get Tired of a Classic Crackslaw Recipe
The more you make this low carb classic crackslaw recipe, the more you will wish to personalize it, not only to make it milder or spicier, more bitter or sweeter, but you will also want to get more creative with your ingredients, trying out different kinds of poultry and meat, even fish and seafood or vegetarian equivalents, and other vegetables.
Use the classic crackslaw recipe as the bare bones and then experiment to your heart’s content. I often reheat it for lunch since I work from home and tend to get a bit lazy around lunchtime.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Gorgeous Mystic Topaz RingsAlso known as rainbow topaz, mystic topaz is a semi-precious gemstone. It has a high hardness and refractive index as well as not being sensitive to chemicals. This means it is a good stone to make jewelry and will last for many years. Invest in mystic topaz rings and you’ll have something you want to wear all the time. What is Mystical About It? Mystic topaz is colorless topaz which has been enhanced with a hi-tech process to give a rainbow effect. The better the original stone used, the better the end result will be, and this means the quality, polish and cut. So if you start with a high quality colorless stone you will end up with a .....
- Exotic Mango and Chicken SaladThis tasty and exotic mango and chicken salad recipe is a fusion style appetizer, blending the flavors of southeast Asia. This creative cuisine has its roots in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia and this is a really juicy and flavorful starter recipe. You can either serve it on a big plate if you are making starters for a buffet or give everyone a plateful. Salad greens and tomato are great as a garnish and this is a great idea for a starter recipe. A Wonderful Asian Dressing The salad dressing used for this exotic mango and chicken salad is a combination of yogurt, ginger, lime juice and soy sauce. You could add some sesame seeds .....
- Low Carb Crab Crackslaw for Seafood LoversCut the carbs in your diet by using seafood and low carb ingredients to make a tasty meal. This crab crackslaw recipe features crab instead of the beef used in the original recipe. This is a rich, spicy recipe so the crab flavor is not so strong but that is what we are aiming for here, a dish with a hint of seafood flavor. And lots of typical crackslaw flavor. Crab is recommended if you are low-carbing but if you want to replace the crab with crabsticks or imitation crab watch out, because those do contain carbs and sometimes sugars which you obviously want to avoid when making low carb crab crackslaw. Canned crab is an economical .....
- Classic Deviled Eggs RecipeDeviled eggs are wonderful as a starter recipe. The eggs are boiled, then cut in half lengthwise. Mash the yolk with mayonnaise and seasonings to make a delicious filling, then garnish this classic deviled eggs recipe with fresh herb sprigs. The resulting dish will look great and taste great too. This is something you can make in about 15 minutes, so if you are looking for starter recipes for a dinner party or something for last minute guests, this could become your go-to recipe. Tips for Delicious Deviled Eggs Some people like to add plenty of spice when making a classic deviled eggs recipe, and that could be chili powder, Tabasco sauce or .....
- Chinese Calamari Szechuan StyleMany people enjoy Chinese recipes at least once a week, as the meals are simple to prepare and cook, making them quick and easy for everyone. Chinese appetizers can be enjoyed before a traditional Chinese meal, and many people enjoy this style before their normal main dish, Chinese or not. You might want to try this Chinese calamari Szechuan recipe and see how you find the spice and flavor. There are various authentic flavors from China which you will already be familiar with, and you can get many Chinese ingredients from the regular grocery store, although an Asian grocery store is your best bet if you want to stock up on such ingredients. .....
- Cream of Spinach SoupThis cream of spinach soup is comparable to a vichyssoise which is a creamy French potato soup but adding spinach gives it a different flavor, as well as a distinctive color. This is lovely served with crackers or just with some bread on the side. The flavor is magnificent and this is one of the best things you can do with spinach. An immersion blender is handy when making this cream of spinach soup because you can avoid pureeing it in batches in the blender, but if you don’t have one, that doesn’t matter too much. Use fresh spinach in this cream of spinach soup recipe so you get the lovely fresh flavor. This makes a nice .....
- Best Ceramic Butter DishesThere are many additions that you can add to your tableware which will enhance your dining experience, including ceramic butter dishes. A ceramic butter dish is a traditional way of storing your butter, which will ensure that it remains in excellent condition. Blue Bird Ceramic Butter Dish, on Amazon Butter is a perfect accompaniment to many different dishes so it is common to have it on the table while eating. This is why investing in ceramic butter dishes is a great idea so you can present the butter in something attractive rather than just in the package or on a saucer. Serving butter at the correct temperature is an art form, and you may .....
- Oak Kitchen Cabinet PaintingOak cabinets are beautiful but they can be tricky to paint because of the way the grain is in the wood. Oak tends to have a heavy grain and when you paint over the grain it tends to show through, even if you apply more than one coat of paint. This is what makes oak kitchen cabinet painting trickier than you might at first think. You need to even out the wood grain surface before you begin oak kitchen cabinet painting and this means you should apply wood grain filler before paint. Wood grain filler smooths the cabinets and fills in between the grains, giving a nice finish. Of course you must let your coat of wood grain filler dry properly .....
- Luxurious Irish Cream ShakeThis Irish cream shake is so good and it is really quick to make too. Brew some strong coffee and let it cool down, then put it in the blender with Bailey’s, ice cream and coconut milk to make this thick, creamy shake. Ideal for St Patrick’s Day or just whenever you want to spoil yourself with a wonderful treat, this Irish cream shake always goes down well, and the flavor is amazing. This Irish cream shake recipe serves 2 people but it is easy enough to double or triple the recipe if you are serving more. If you want, you may top the shake with whipped cream and chocolate curls for a nice presentation, else you can serve smaller .....
- Irish Lamb Stew Recipe with BaconWhen the cold months are here, nothing is as comforting as an Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon. There are different Irish stew recipes to choose from, but the main ingredients stay the same, and those are lamb, potatoes and carrots, as well as a delicious sauce/gravy. This Irish lamb stew recipe with bacon is nice served with a generous chunk of bread for sopping up all those wonderful juices. You can make a huge pot of it and let people ladle some into their bowls. Most of the family will want a second bowlful because this is such a tasty meal. Something great about traditional Irish stew is its simplicity. You do not need lots of .....