If you fancy making a Waldorf salad recipe with a twist, try this delicious version with curried chicken. A traditional Waldorf salad contains just red apples, mayonnaise and celery. The walnuts came later. You can use more curry paste in this curried chicken Waldorf salad recipe if you want, depending how hot you like it.
Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad: An Interesting Twist
Puritans might argue this curried chicken Waldorf salad recipe is not a “Waldorf salad” exactly, because there are other ingredients in the mix which never appeared in the original dish. But I prefer to say this is a twist on the classic recipe, because it features everything you would expect to find.
You get that wonderful combination of sweet and savory, soft and crunchy, as well as other ingredients too, to support the flavor and add further dimensions to the overall taste of it. And if you’re a fan of chicken curry then you will definitely like this light summer take on the dish.
Chicken Waldorf Salad: Appetizer or Main Dish
This curried chicken Waldorf salad recipe is a great option as an appetizer (starter recipe) because it is light enough not to fill everyone up before their main course but filling enough to be a good appetizer. You’ve probably tried traditional Waldorf salad before – you can find it all over the world. So try this version next to see which you prefer.
Waldorf salad is a widely known light meal or side dish and if you like the classic recipe for it but wish to try something slightly different, this dish is very good. It’s a whole meal in one!Print
Curried Chicken Waldorf Salad
Waldorf salad is a recipe we all know and love, but what happens when you switch up the ingredients a little? This dish features curried chicken to add an exciting flavor to this salad.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 500g (1 lb) skinless, boneless cooked chicken in 10 cm (4 inch) strips
- 1 teaspoon Indian curry paste
- 150ml (2/3 cup) mayonnaise
- 150ml (2/3 cup) natural yogurt
- 1 small lettuce, shredded
- 75g (1/3 cup) walnuts, chopped
- 100g (3 1/2 ounces) green seedless grapes, halved
- 4 spring onions (scallions) or 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 dessert apples
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt and black pepper
- Combine the mayonnaise and yogurt.
- Mix the curry paste and lemon juice and fold this into the mayonnaise mixture.
- Core and slice the apples without peeling them.
- Add these to the mayonnaise with the grapes, walnuts, celery and onions.
- Add the chicken, turning to coat well with the mayonnaise.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper and perhaps more lemon juice if necessary.
- Divide the lettuce between 4 bowls, arrange the salad on top and serve right away.
I usually use mild Indian curry paste but you could experiment with other flavors, such as red or green Thai chili paste. Pick mild, medium or spicy, depending on what you prefer.
Keywords: curried chicken waldorf salad, waldorf salad with chicken, how to make chicken waldorf, what is a waldorf salad
This spin on Waldorf salad is great. Enjoy this curried chicken Waldorf salad recipe as an appetizer or light meal with bread or crackers. Not only can you enjoy an appealing curried salad but you get the classic Waldorf ingredients in it.
The mayonnaise and yogurt make a creamy dressing. The mayonnaise is creamy and the yogurt stops it from being too rich. Yogurt is often served with curry, another reason to use it. The walnuts and grapes add nutrients, as do the other ingredients, and of course the chicken is wonderful in this recipe.
If you are in the mood for something new, why not try this delicious Waldorf salad? Served over lettuce or even used to fill sandwiches, you are sure to enjoy its aromatic flavor.
Image courtesy of Adactio, on Flickr.com