Using cauliflower instead of rice is a great idea if you are looking to cut calories, carbs, or you simply don’t want to have rice but you want something similar in texture. Try this egg fried cauli rice recipe and you will soon see what all the fuss is about!
Pop some cauliflower florets in the food processor, press the button, and a couple of seconds later you will have something resembling rice, which can be transformed into egg fried ‘rice’ or even something like our yummy Mexican cauli rice recipe (opens in new link) which is low in calories and tastes gorgeous.
Always a Great Meal
I made this egg fried cauli rice recipe for lunch today and found it quick and easy. This pan-fried cauliflower rice is delicious and you can add anything you like in there. I just used green onion, mushrooms, soy sauce, egg and a dash of sesame oil along with the cauli rice but you may add anything else in there.
Perhaps you have some leftover cooked chicken or shrimp to use up, in which case throw them in and warm them up for a couple of minutes. Did you open a can of corn kernels or peas yesterday? Add a spoonful of those into the cauli-rice mix if you want.
Quick and Easy Egg Fried Cauli Rice Recipe
This egg fried cauli rice recipe only takes a few minutes to cook and it’s best if you keep the mixture moving with a wooden spoon or silicon spatula so it cooks evenly.
I recommend you choose your largest wok or skillet, not only so it’s easier to move the ingredients around, but also so you can push everything up the sides and break the egg into the center of the pan and then cook that, before pulling everything else down the sides of the wok and mixing it all together to make the most amazing egg fried cauli rice recipe ever.
Egg Fried Cauli Rice Recipe
Swap your usual rice for grated cauliflower and you will hardly know the difference, especially when you add egg, peas, shrimp and your favorite fried egg ingredients to make this iconic Chinese dish.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 17 mins
- Yield: 1 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Generous handful of fresh cauliflower florets
- Nonstick cooking oil or olive oil, as needed
- 2 sliced button mushrooms
- 1 sliced green onion (spring onion)
- 1 minced garlic clove or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 raw egg
- 2 tablespoons cooked shrimp, ham, chicken or pork (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooked peas or corn kernels (optional)
- Soy sauce, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- First put the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds or until it is the texture of rice.
- Put some nonstick cooking oil or olive oil in a wok.
- Bring the heat to medium, then add the cauliflower ‘rice’.
- Add the button mushrooms, green onion and garlic.
- Stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
- Taste a bit of the cauliflower.
- It should be more tender than raw cauliflower but still have some bite to it.
- Push everything up the sides of the wok.
- Break the egg into the middle of the wok.
- Cook it, stirring with the spoon or spatula, until nearly done.
- Add the seafood, meat, peas and/or corn if using.
- Add soy sauce, salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add some hot sauce too if liked.
- Mix everything together and cook for another minute.
- Serve immediately.