Boasting all kinds of delicious ingredients from lettuce and tomatoes to corn, olives, oregano, and a stunning oil and vinegar dressing, this salad offers a true taste of the Mediterranean, and it makes a lovely side dish for any fish, meat or poultry dish. Consider this healthy Mediterranean salad recipe if you want a fresh and seasonal side dish.
Alternatively you can serve it as an appetizer. I can’t stress enough how important it is to wash your lettuce properly because there might be little worms or caterpillars in there (yes, I found one last week!)
So separate the leaves and use a salad spinner after rinsing the lettuce in cold water. Make sure all that excess water is out, so the lettuce stays nice and crisp in this healthy Mediterranean salad.
Healthy Mediterranean Salad: Use Your Imagination
When making salads, a lot of the time you can use the recipe ingredients as a guideline. If there is one thing in there you don’t like, simply leave it out and it is not going to make much difference.
For instance, if you really don’t like black olives in your healthy Mediterranean salad, just leave them out, or swap them for green olives, or for chopped pickles. Make this salad really your own and you will enjoy it all the more.Print
Healthy Mediterranean Style Salad
This fantastic salad boasts a lovely Mediterranean taste, and includes tomatoes, feta cheese, oregano, olive oil, corn and more. This is really fresh and flavorful.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, washed and chopped
- 7 oz (200g) can corn kernels, drained
- 8 oz (230g) feta cheese, in cubes
- 2 fresh tomatoes, in cubes
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 7 oz (200g) can tuna, drained and flaked (optional)
- 1 chopped avocado (optional)
- 20 black olives (optional)
- Extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar, for dressing the salad
- Salt and black pepper (optional)
- Divide the lettuce between 4 salad bowls.
- Top with the corn, cheese and tomatoes.
- Add the tuna, avocado and/or black olives, if using.
- Sprinkle oregano on top and serve.
- Let people drizzle their own oil and vinegar on top, and add salt and pepper if they like.
- Feel free to change the ingredients as much as you like, adding more of what you like and omitting what you don’t.
- Something else you could do is offer fresh lemon juice instead of the vinegar, for a different style of dressing.
In the photo you can see I chose to serve this healthy Mediterranean salad with some salmon, and I must say the flavor of those 2 together was amazing! The salmon was just flavored with lemon juice, salt and pepper, and cooked on the stove top until it was just starting to flake. This is a low fat and healthy meal choice and it would probably be good with cod or another kind of fish, or even a chicken breast.