I love this herring potato salad with dill recipe. It’s fresh, delicious and healthy to boot. Fish and potatoes have been served together for centuries and dill complements both of them. Sour cream, mayonnaise and gherkins finish off this delicious fish starter recipe perfectly. This herring, potato and dill salad recipe is easy to make and suits any occasion.
Simple But a Nice Balance
There are not many ingredients in this tasty herring recipe and that is because they would be unnecessary. This is a perfectly balanced dish and one of our more interesting starter recipes. Herrings are delicious and if you want ideas for fish starters, this is well worth considering.
Herring Potato Salad with Dill: Fish as an Appetizer
Serving fish at the beginning of a meal is very common in some parts of the world, and fish often has a lighter flavor than meat, which is one reason this is a custom. If you are serving a meat main dish then it is good to serve seafood as a starter, then you get a good contrast and you are not serving anything too heavy or filling to start the meal either.Print
Herring, Potato and Dill Salad Recipe
Inspired by Eastern European cuisine, this recipe takes herrings and combines them with potatoes, sour cream, pickles and mayonnaise. The resulting dish is hearty yet not too heavy, and very tasty.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Starter
- Cuisine: Eastern European
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 kg (2 lbs) new potatoes
- 560g (1 lb) sweet, cured herrings, drained and cut into 2 cm strips
- 8 pickled gherkins (green pickles), sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and cut into wedges.
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and dill in a large bowl.
- Season this mixture with salt and pepper.
- Put the gherkins, potatoes and herrings into a bowl with the dressing.
- Toss well, check the seasoning once more, and then serve.
This tasty herring, potato and dill salad recipe is perfect if you wish to use herring in your starter. The ingredients are simple and this is quite a rustic dish. Serve it as it is or perhaps with some bread. All you need to do to make this is cook the potatoes and toss them with the other ingredients, nothing more, which means if you are looking for beginner starters this is a very nice option. Everyone will find this dish to be delicious and you will get plenty of praise for it.
Image courtesy of SewPixie, on Flickr.com