Making a change from your usual burgers perhaps, these boast the lighter flavor of turkey. We are adding lemon and oregano for flavor, and stuffing the oven baked turkey burgers with feta cheese for a wonderful tang.
The mint-cucumber dressing with these oven baked turkey burgers adds a Mediterranean touch, and you just need to combine equal parts of yogurt and grated cucumber to make it, adding in some fresh mint too. Oven baking these burgers is simple although you may pan-fry them if you prefer, or even pop them on the barbecue if it’s fired up already. If you wish to prepare the patties in advance you can just leave them in the refrigerator until it’s time for dinner.
How to Serve Oven Baked Turkey Burgers
Serve these oven baked turkey burgers with a simple salad, with some grilled or sautéed veggies, or with coleslaw, potato salad, corn on the cob, or anything else you are in the mood for. Whoever knew oven baked turkey burgers could be so flavor-packed and delicious? This recipe makes 4 of them, so you can double it if there’s a crowd of you. I haven’t tried this with ground chicken but that would probably be good too.
Homemade oven baked turkey burgers are always better than commercial ones, especially those thin, hockey-puck type burgers many of us keep in the freezer ‘for a rainy day’. In fact I never buy commercial burgers.
Making my own is just so easy and I like to try different flavors in there. When I make regular burgers I usually add hot sauce, liquid smoke, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, and garlic and onion powders, to get a rich and hearty flavor, while poultry is nice with more subtle additions, or you can give it an Asian twist. Anything goes where these oven baked turkey burgers are concerned, so tweak this recipe to your heart’s content and enjoy the burgers!Print
Oven Baked Turkey Burgers with Feta
These turkey burgers are lean, mean and very flavorful! They go great with the tangy yogurt based dressing, and the feta hidden inside the patties give them a gourmet twist that everyone will love.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- 1 lb (450g) ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 oz (45g) crumbled feta cheese
- Cooking spray, as needed
For the Mint-Cucumber Dressing
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) plain yogurt
- Grated cucumber, as needed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 tomato slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 red onion slices
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine the turkey, salt, pepper, lemon zest and oregano.
- Divide this mixture into 4 equal-sized portions.
- Press a dent into the middle of each and add the cheese.
- Fold the turkey mixture around the cheese to fully enclose it.
- Put the burgers in a greased baking dish.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until they are 165 degrees F (75 degrees C) inside.
- Meanwhile mix the yogurt with the same amount of grated cucumber, then stir in the mint.
- Put a lettuce leaf and then a cooked turkey patty on each hamburger bun bottom..
- Top it with the tomato, red onion and yogurt mixture.
- Add the hamburger bun tops and serve.
If you prefer to cook these on the stove, they will take about 5 minutes per side in a lightly greased skillet or griddle pan over a medium-high heat.