I first tried spinach potato knishes (pronounced kuh-NISH-es) at Kenny and Ziggy’s in Houston TX, and wow was this some spectacular comfort food. I’m British so I am used to Cornish pasties (a tasty pastry-enclosed meat and potato recipe from the southwest corner of England) and I also enjoy pastry-wrapped or pastry-enclosed vegetable recipes for lunch or as snacks.
What are knishes, I asked myself, perusing the menu. Google to the rescue and I read the description. My mouth began to water and I thought wow I have to order these! So, now you’re asking what are knishes exactly? Well this tasty Jewish recipe is a savory pie. Knishes can be filled with potatoes, meat, sauerkraut, kasha, cheese, onions, spinach or a combination of these. Knishes may be baked, grilled or fried. The flavor remains similar but the spinach potato knishes texture varies depending on the cooking method employed.
Spinach potato knishes, which like the others are vegetarian knishes, can be compared to other pastry appetizers or baked dumpling type dishes, such as empanadas from Mexico, pasties from the UK, calzone from Italy or pirozhki from Russia. You can also compare the format and flavor to Jamaican patties, southeast Asian curry puffs, South and Central Asian samosas, Middle Eastern fatayers and Portuguese rissols.
You can make a perfectly delicious hummus recipe no tahini in a couple of minutes. In fact a hummus recipe without tahini is just as good as the traditional kind. However you choose to enjoy your hummus – served as a dip with breadsticks or veggie crudites, or paired with homemade falafel in pita bread, you will love this version.
As well as the chickpeas, which are also known as garbanzo beans, you are going to need oil, garlic, lemon, cumin and salt. Those ingredients will help you get the right hummus recipe no tahini texture along with the perfect flavor. You might want to thin it with a bit more water and/or add more salt to get the flavor just right.
Two tablespoons of this delicious hummus recipe no tahini equates to 70 calories. If you still want to use tahini just add 2 tablespoons of it to the mixture in the food processor, and the delicious result is all yours to enjoy. Making several dips? Why not try our Greek yogurt avocado dip as well, or a tasty crab dip? Serve them all at once as a trio along with your favorite crackers or crudites. You can’t fail to impress! Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Using peanut butter instead of tahini is a great idea if you want a great-tasting and easy hummus recipe which boasts plenty of nutrition from the peanut butter. Our easy hummus recipe with peanut butter will appeal to everyone, old or young, because it is creamy and flavorful.
This hummus recipe without tahini is very simple to make and you can serve it as a dip, perhaps with celery or pita bread, or use it as a spread in sandwiches, pairing it with chicken and cucumber or salad leaves and sliced boiled egg.
How to Make Hummus Without Tahini
You will need a food processor or blender to combine the ingredients for this hummus, then you can simply transfer it into a serving dish.
The garbanzo beans, which are also known as chickpeas, can be cooked fresh ones or well-drained canned ones. Use fresh lemon juice if you have it, and you will also need salt, natural creamy peanut butter and fresh garlic.
We like to drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle on some parsley and paprika, since they add to the flavor and also look great but you can omit those if you prefer.
This Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a gorgeous recipe. It looks really nice served in little glasses with edible flowers as a garnish, but it can also be served over lettuce or baby salad leaves if you prefer. This Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is a nice way to begin any kind of meal, and it is especially good during the summer when you don’t want to cook.
We are using shrimp, and you can use little ones or chop larger ones. Make sure they are peeled and deveined first. Canned or thawed shrimp are fine here. You will also need some red apple and onion for crunch. The dressing for our Old Bay shrimp and apple salad is made with mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning and lemon juice.
Old Bay Shrimp and Apple Salad Tweaks
If you want, you can add other ingredients to the Old Bay shrimp and apple salad mix. We suggest diced celery, chopped walnuts or diced cheddar cheese. You might even want to add a little fresh dill weed or chopped chives. The recipe is nice as it is, so you might not want to add anything else to it. Also take care not to overwhelm the delicate flavors by adding too many other flavors to the mix.
If you are looking for an amazing snack, consider this honey roasted nuts with rosemary recipe. You can use any kind of nuts you want, maybe just walnuts or cashews, or a selection of your favorites. Just choose plain ones, not the spiced, salted or already-roasted kind.
Walnuts work really well in this honey roasted nuts with rosemary recipe, or you might want to use different ones so people can take a peek and pick out their favorite ones. Make a big batch of this (perhaps double the recipe) if you have a crowd coming over, because the roasted nuts keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
The first thing to do when making honey roasted nuts with rosemary is roast the nuts in the oven, just to bring out their flavor and get them extra-crunchy. While they are roasting you can melt the butter with the honey, oil, salt and rosemary in the microwave, then toss the nuts with the honey mixture and then roast them again in the oven.
Dips are always fun to make, especially if you have a food processor and can whip them up in seconds! Although sometimes a hot dip is good, such as this hot and creamy crab dip or even our tasty artichoke dip, cool and creamy dips are also good. Try our Greek yogurt avocado dip if you like cool, creamy dips for your chips or crudites.
When I made this particular recipe I enjoyed it with Doritos, but you could serve this with crackers, vegetable crudites, melba toast, baguette bread slices, corn chips, potato chips, or anything else you want to dip in there. I made this in literally 3 minutes and the flavor was amazing. I wasn’t planning to eat all of this Greek yogurt avocado dip but, uh, well you know how it is!
What You Need to Make Greek YogurtAavocado Dip
You will need some Greek yogurt, an avocado, some lime juice, and salt and black pepper to taste. If you want, you can swap the Greek yogurt for sour cream or use half and half. I’ve made it both ways, and both are good. Serve this as a Greek yogurt avocado dressing over salad if you want. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a splash of milk (only a little bit because you don’t want it too thin). Some cilantro in the Greek yogurt avocado dip is also nice, or you could put a small pinch of garlic powder in there. Even some hot sauce for a special zing! Continue reading
- Pet ID Tags for Dogs and CatsIf your pet ever gets lost then having an ID tag is an absolute must, so you can be reunited quickly and relatively easy. The longer a pet is missing the more that can go wrong, and let’s face it, our pets are so precious. They are like members of the family, so consider pet ID tags as a must-have. A lost animal might not be able to find his or her way home, so invest in one of these tags (many cost under $5, even the personalized engraved ones) and if anything does happen, whoever finds your pet will know how to contact you to let you know they found your dog or cat......
- How to Cook Quail EggsA quail egg can be compared to a chicken egg except of course it’s a lot smaller! Because of this size, quail eggs make a nice garnish, an elegant garnish even, for all kinds of meat, poultry, fish or vegetable-based dishes. As you might imagine, it doesn’t take as long to cook this tiny egg as it would to cook a chicken egg. But knowing how to cook quail eggs is, of course, vital. How Long to Cook Quail Eggs? These pretty little speckled eggs will be soft-boiled in 2 1/2 minutes, medium-boiled in 3 minutes or hard-boiled in 4 minutes. Compare that to chicken’s eggs which can take up to 15 minutes to hard-boil and you will .....
- Tiny Cell PhonesAlthough the first cell phones were the size of a house brick, they have rapidly come down in size! Today you can choose from various sizes and styles including surprisingly tiny cell phones. There is something for every taste and if you have been shopping recently you might have been baffled by the sheer amount of choice there is nowadays. Does Size Matter Then? They say size doesn’t matter, but it does when you are talking about a phone! Tiny cell phones have great appeal because you can carry them around easily and bulky cell phones are a thing of the past. Perhaps you fancy a razor-thin cell you can slip into your back pocket or .....
- How to Create Your Own Curry RecipeThis is a 4-step guide to making curry, and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. Follow the steps learning how to create your own curry recipe and you will end up with the most delicious dish. There is nothing to worry about when making such a dish and it is best to get creative. So read through this to find out the 4 stages of curry making, then get yourself into the kitchen and prepare something wonderful – no need to follow any recipe to the letter! Step 1 in this how to create your own curry guide is all about softening any dense ingredients which will take a long time to tenderize. If you are using tough cuts of meat .....
- Best Sci-Fi Movies of 2014Now that 2014 is well over half a year behind us, all the best sci-fi movies of 2014 are available on DVD, so rather than going to the cinema, why not curl up with some popcorn and a DVD this evening? I love this genre and managed to see plenty of movies last year. My husband doesn’t mind the genre but it’s me who is the real fan, so I’m going to share with you my top sci-fi movie recommendations!.....
- Benefits of PilatesPilates is a wonderful exercise to do if you want to strengthen your body while also becoming more flexible. A lot of Pilates is done on the ground. Mat work, as it’s called, helps you strengthen your core muscles and does so in a way that is easy on your back. There are many benefits of Pilates, some of which you can guess and others which might not be so immediately apparent when you begin......
- Low Carb FishcakesFishcakes make an excellent meal, accompanied by a salad or your choice of vegetables, and they are also ideal for a low carb diet, making a change from the steak or chicken you might be getting tired of. Make these low carb fishcakes because you will love the taste and they don’t taste like diet food at all. A lot of people start low-carbing and over-indulge in the red meat, then wonder what else there is. Repetition can be good because you can stick to the same meals all the time but for some people repetition can be their downfall because they get bored, so add some low carb fishcakes to your meal rotation to keep things .....
- How to Stuff Calamari TubesLearning how to stuff squid is very easy, and although calamari is also nice cut into rings, breaded and deep fried, it is especially good stuffed. You can choose from a wide range of stuffed squid recipes and use whichever ingredients you happen to like. Knowing how to stuff calamari tubes is useful to know, just because there are so many great recipes for stuffed calamari out there. You can buy the bodies (tubes) already cleaned or you can clean them out yourself. I usually buy the frozen tubes because they are very cheap where we live, but if you have a whole squid you also get the lovely tentacles which are nice to use in your stuffed .....
- Potstickers History and RecipeIt is fair to say that potstickers are well-loved, and no wonder, when they boast such an incredible flavor in every bite. One is never enough. If you know something about potstickers history or you just like to eat them, you might already know through history potstickers have gone by a variety of names, including guotie, Peking Ravioli, pork dumplings, and wortip. Potstickers are both pan-fried and steamed. Once the little dumplings are filled they are pan-fried on one side and then steamed in water or broth, so they end up crisp and browned on one side but easy to remove from the pan with a spatula. Try not to overcook them though, because .....
- Stuffed Mini Peppers with Goat CheeseThese stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese make an incredible appetizer and my husband and I both love them. Where we live we can buy them in different varieties – some are sweet while others are spicy. One store uses the pointy end of spicy chilies as their ‘mini’ peppers while others use mini sweet peppers, mostly red but sometimes green or yellow. Green is more savory while yellow (and orange to a lesser extent) is sweeter. Whichever peppers you use in this stuffed mini peppers with goat cheese recipe, the flavor of these little bites is going to be fantastic. See what they sell in your local food market and decide .....