Easy Recipe for Coq au Vin
Coq au vin is a wonderful French dish featuring chicken, bacon, mushrooms and red wine. Other typical ingredients in this dish include garlic, thyme and onion. Our easy recipe for coq au vin shows how to to prepare this wonderful French treat.
If your mouth is watering already you are not alone. This combination of ingredients appeals to nearly every palate, offering both richness and gentle aromatic flavor.
Harmonious Flavors Come Together
The red wine and bacon work beautifully together to add a special rich taste to the finished easy recipe for coq au vin dish, and of course the chicken thighs offer plenty of juicy flavor of their own.
Coq au vin might have a posh name but it is just French for ‘chicken in wine’ and there isn’t much difference between this and a chicken in red wine stew recipe, but make coq au vin and you will be guaranteed of an authentic French flavor.
Serve this with roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes. The French would probably go for the former option which I love mash so I like to have mash with it!
Easy Recipe for Coq au Vin: How to Make It
The easy recipe for coq au vin is so simple. You need to brown the chicken thighs all over then remove them from the pan. Now it is time to fry the bacon and onions, then the garlic and mushrooms. The chicken goes back in and then you can add the rest of the ingredients.
Let it simmer gently until all the flavors are well blended and the chicken thighs are perfectly cooked. While the dish is simmering you can work on making any side dishes you are going to have.
- 3 boneless skinless halved chicken thighs
- ½ tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 chopped onion
- 2½ fl oz (75ml) red wine
- 1 strip lean smoked bacon, chopped
- 3½ oz (100g) halved mushrooms
- 2 crushed cloves garlic
- 6¾ fl oz (200ml) chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons tomato concentrate
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Spray oil, as needed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Dust the chicken with the flour, then fry in spray oil until browned on all sides.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and bacon to pan, and cook 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic, and cook 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan.
- Pour in the wine and stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the thyme and the tomato concentrate.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Season with salt and black pepper and serve.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Chicken Wonton Soup with CabbageThis flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face. Chicken wonton soup recipes .....
- Authentic Malaysian Popiah RecipeThis is such a great Malaysian popiah recipe! Popiah, which literally means ‘thin wafer’ is like an egg roll, or spring roll, and this is common street food in Malaysia, but also found in Taiwan, Medan and Singapore. Shredded vegetables are always found in them, but some also contain shrimp, meat or egg. A Malaysian popiah recipe is a Chinese dish in origin, coming from the Fujian province of China. These little snacks are easy to make. Simply get yourself a package of popiah wrappers (spring roll or egg roll wrappers are fine) and julienne-cut your vegetables. A little salt and pepper is all we are using here for the seasoning .....
- Omuraisu Recipe – Japanese OmeletAlso known as omurice or omu-rice, omuraisu is a typical Japanese dish featuring fried rice and omelet, and often some ketchup too. Omuraisu is a contraction of the Japanese words for omelet and egg. This omuraisu recipe is not hard to make and you will love the flavor. This dish can be found in Western style restaurants in Japan as well as in Japanese homes, and it was also introduced to Korea under Japanese rule. You can find it in Taiwan too which was also under Japanese rule for some time. This dish has been around since the early 1900s. Different Kinds of Omurice Chicken rice, chicken and vegetable rice or beef rice can be wrapped in a .....
- Easy Roast Duck Leg with PotatoesThis easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe makes a wonderful dinner. The duck combines perfectly with the roasted potatoes and you should also add your favorite green vegetable, or even some kind of salad on the side. A Greek salad would go well with this or consider some stewed red cabbage or similar. You will need a couple of duck legs for this easy roast duck leg with potatoes recipe, along with potatoes and thyme. The duck is fried skin side down in a roasting pan, then you can flip it over and add the potatoes. Add thyme, salt and black pepper, and then you can roast the duck and potatoes for about an hour and a half or up to two .....
- Egg Fried Cauli Rice RecipeUsing cauliflower instead of rice is a great idea if you are looking to cut calories, carbs, or you simply don’t want to have rice but you want something similar in texture. Try this egg fried cauli rice recipe and you will soon see what all the fuss is about! Pop some cauliflower florets in the food processor, press the button, and a couple of seconds later you will have something resembling rice, which can be transformed into egg fried ‘rice’ or even something like our yummy Mexican cauli rice recipe (opens in new link) which is low in calories and tastes gorgeous. Always a Great Meal I made this egg fried cauli rice .....
- An Introduction to Appetizer RecipesThere are simple snacks and there are complicated ones. You have probably made appetizer recipes before, or snacks for parties. If you’re totally new to cooking maybe you are worried about making your own, but there is really no need because they are so easy. Sticking cocktail sticks into cubes of cheese counts as making a starter, as does opening a jar of olives and putting them into a dish. Of course these aren’t the most impressive dishes you could come up with! There are appetizer recipes and snacks for every occasion, whether you are catering for a party, a buffet, a sporting event, a coffee morning or something else. Some .....
- Discovering the Latest Modern Bathroom TrendsModern bathroom trends can suit every style, taste and budget, regardless of where you are in the world. More people than ever before are investing time and money into their bathrooms, and you will be amazed at the huge array of different trends available. There are several different ways that you can improve the look and feel of your bathroom with modern bathroom trends including a variety of different accessories and fittings. Creating the Perfect Environment You need to consider the overall feel that you want to achieve in your bathroom, and decide on your budget before you go shopping. Some of the latest modern trends are expensive so .....
- 4 Budget Hotels in the South of Gran CanariaThere are plenty of great hotels to choose from in Gran Canaria’s sunny south, so if you are in the mood to soak up some sun in Playa del Ingles or Puerto Rico, consider the following budget hotels in Gran Canaria and see which you fancy. Finding your own flights and booking a hotel separately, instead of booking a package, means you get more control over dates and times, as well as how you fly and where you stay. No wonder many people like to book their own flights and accommodation, so they can create the tailor-made holiday of their dreams. Some More Hot Content For You Tender Oven Baked Short Ribs Easy UK Appetizer Ideas Decadent .....
- Sunny Pumpkin Rice SoupPumpkin rice soup is always good, especially when you stumble upon a brand new recipe for it and discover how to give the soup a different edge. This recipe makes use of ginger, chili and rice, to give it not only an aromatic and spicy flavor, but the heartiness of rice. The recipe calls for brown rice but feel free to use white rice, basmati perhaps. How to Serve Pumpkin Rice Soup Serve this pumpkin rice soup for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer if your main dish does not include rice. You will find this soup very simple to make. Choose how thick you want it. If it is looking too thick at any time you can add more .....
- Thirst Quenching Watermelon SmoothieSmoothie recipes are always good. Whether you make one as a speedy breakfast, as a drink/snack or anytime you are thirsty but want something thick and satisfying, a smoothie recipe always comes to the rescue and there are certainly plenty to choose from. I love this watermelon smoothie recipe among others. You can blend fruit with yogurt to make a watermelon smoothie recipe, or use cream, milk or fruit juice. You can also add ice cubes to the blender (not all blenders, but the good ones!) and make your smoothie refreshingly icy cold. Watermelon Smoothie Recipe: Just 3 Simple Ingredients This watermelon smoothie recipe features watermelon, .....