Low in calories but high in flavor, this wonderful baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe is sure to please your palate. The middles of the zucchini are scooped out and then you can add a wonderful ham and cheese filling, and bake them to perfection.
This is a very easy baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe which is nice served with Spanish rice or risotto, and just as nice served alone as a savory snack. If you want to make this dish vegetarian friendly, simply omit the ham, or else you might like to swap it for shrimp, salmon, walnuts, or pretty much anything else.
Baked Stuffed Zucchini Boats: Tweak the Filling to Make It Your Own
The main ingredients in this baked stuffed zucchini boats dish are the zucchini and the cheese, so just add whatever you want to that mixture.
You can also swap the ham for bacon, for a slightly different flavor, or even add some sausage.
Serve a tasty marinara sauce or salsa (or any tomato-based sauce you like) on the side, along with your rice, potatoes or perhaps some pasta, to make this a full and filling meal out of these baked stuffed zucchini boats.
Baked Stuffed Zucchini: How Many Calories?
This is a lovely, easy recipe, which you will want to make again and again. It is low in calories too – half a stuffed zucchini, if you use the ingredients suggested in the recipe, offers just 61 calories, or 2 WW Points Plus per half a stuffed zucchini. If you’re hungrier though, have 2 halves, since that is still under 125 calories. You might also like this low calorie soup recipe.Print
Baked Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Zucchini is hollowed out, filled with cheese and ham, and then baked to gorgeous, tender perfection. Feel free to tweak the filling ingredients or jazz it up with herbs and spices. This really is tasty.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Total Time: 31 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- 2 zucchini (courgettes)
- 8 chopped thin slices lean deli ham
- 1/2 cup (60g) low-fat shredded cheese (Pepper Jack is good)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Any other dried herbs or spices (optional)
- Fresh herbs, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Scoop out the seeded part of the zucchini.
- Put the hollowed-out zucchini face up on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes until they just beginning to get soft.
- Stir the ham and cheese together in a small bowl.
- Add in the chopped zucchini flesh if you want (else save it for another use).
- Season with any other herbs or spices you want.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven and fill each one with quarter of the cheese mixture.
- Bake for another 6 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
- Serve garnished with fresh herbs.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe:
- Calories: 61
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 7.3g