Are you in the mood for Cajun cuisine or something Italian? This Cajun chicken pasta recipe offers the best of both worlds. Pasta is an Italian favorite of course, and Cajun seasoning just brings out the beauty of the chicken and the pasta, resulting in a dish you will adore.
You might have enjoyed something similar before or perhaps the combination of Italian and Cajun is a brand new treat for your palate. Either way you will certainly enjoy this tasty dish.
This is simple enough for beginner cooks to master and once you have made it you will be sure to want to make it again. The following recipe makes enough for 2 people so you can easily double it to serve 4 or triple it for 6 (or 4 hungry people!) Serve some salad leaves on the side if you want.
A lot of home cooks rely on creamy pasta with chicken, shrimp or similar as one of their regular weeknight menus, but try a pinch of Cajun spice in the mix and you will be really impressed with the results. There are a few Cajun chicken pasta recipes free online and so many chicken pasta dishes to choose from, but this is one of the best, and the following recipe is how I personally like to make it.
Chicken Louisiana Pasta Recipe: Cajun Spice Mix
Whether you choose to use a Cajun spice mix or create your own, you can add plenty of Cajun flavor to this lovely dish.
It is easier just to buy a mix of Cajun spices but if you want to make your own you see my recipe below. This recipe makes half a cup so you can use what you need and then keep the rest in an airtight container somewhere dark and cool.
This recipe is made with Penne pasta, but you can use any kind of pasta you want, so consider fettuccine, linguine or spaghetti if you want long pasta, or wheels, bow-ties or shells if you prefer. The flavor will be the same regardless of which one you use.
Whole wheat pasta wouldn’t be as good in this recipe, so save that for the healthy pasta salads.
Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe: Possible Adaptations
You can also use fresh garlic instead of garlic powder if you want, but that would need to be sautéed with the chicken. As for the tomatoes, sun-dried offer a nice flavor or try fresh cherry or plum tomatoes if you prefer to use fresh.
The chicken can be sautéed in just oil, just butter or even spray oil if you want to cut some of the fat. Likewise, the heavy whipping cream can be swapped for Half & Half or another kind of cream, but since this dish is better the richer it is, you might like to use the butter and cream and just indulge yourself this once! It is totally worth it.Print
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Combining pasta, chicken and cream is comfort food at its best, but add Cajun spices and this dish takes on a brand new appeal. This wonderful pasta dish tastes amazing.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Cajun Fusion
Cajun Spice Mix Recipe:
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons each of salt and garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, onion powder and black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/4 teaspoons each dried thyme and dried oregano
Cajun Chicken Pasta:
- 2 chicken breast halves (boneless and skinless) in strips
- 1 1/2 cups (350ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 thinly sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes or fresh tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 oz (110g) Penne pasta, cooked to al dente
- Sprigs of fresh basil, parsley or similar, for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup (30g) grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
Cajun Spice Mix Instructions:
- Combine the list of ingredients to make it.
For the Cajun Chicken Pasta:
- Toss the raw chicken strips with the Cajun seasoning and toss well, then sauté it in oil and butter for 6 minutes or until tender, stirring often.
- Turn the heat down and stir in the cream, green onion, basil, tomatoes, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Warm this mixture through then serve over the hot pasta and garnish with parmesan and/or fresh herbs.
If you are in the UK, Australia etc, you can use whipping cream, double cream or whatever cream you usually use when cooking. In the US it’s called heavy whipping cream, or you can use Half & Half if you want a lighter finish.
Green onion might be known as spring onion or scallions where you live.