Using chicken is a great idea if you want something with fewer calories yet offering the same great flavor as beef crackslaw gives you. The following crackslaw with chicken recipe is really tasty and perfect for a low carb diet whether you are following Atkins or another low carb diet regime.
The crack slaw with chicken recipe itself is very similar to the beef version because chicken is versatile enough to be a perfect beef substitute but of course you can apply your own tweaks should you wish.
Chicken is lower in calories than beef. If you’re low carbing then you probably aren’t counting your calories, just your carbs, but calories do matter so you might want to try this if your low carb diet isn’t working properly and you’re wondering whether you’re still having more calories than your body can burn. Try this crack slaw with chicken dish for size.
Chicken or Beef: Either is Fine
Swapping beef for chicken affects the total calories but it does not affect the net carbs. So you can use whichever you prefer, or if there is something on sale at the grocery store just use whatever they have, even turkey or lamb or perhaps a mixed ground meat package but take a peek at the label. Here in Holland they often sneak sugar and chemicals into their ground meat (seriously!) – better safe than sorry when making crackslaw with chicken or beef.
Although a lot of low carbers believe counting calories during a low carb diet is not important, eating too many can stall you, so if your weight isn’t going down you might like to keep track of calories too, to find out if you’re eating more than you thought.
Eating a low carb diet means you can actually eat more calories than you otherwise would on a low calorie or low fat diet because when low carbing your body requires more calories to function, but still, don’t go overboard on them.Print
Swapping the beef for chicken gives you the same great dish but with fewer calories and a different flavor. Make this with ground chicken or finely shredded chicken.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Low Carb
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 lb (450g) ground chicken
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon artificial sweetener or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 14 oz (400g) shredded white cabbage
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Brown the chicken in a skillet and season it with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set it to one side.
- Heat the sesame oil in the same skillet, and sauté the onions with the garlic and cabbage until the cabbage is cooked to al dente or however you like it.
- Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar or sweetener, hot sauce and ginger.
- Add the cooked chicken back in and mix well to combine.
- Taste the mixture add add more vinegar, hot sauce, soy sauce, sugar or anything else needed.
- Offer hot sauce at the table for people who want to add more.
- Calories: 211
- Carbohydrates: 4.5g