Potato salad is always good, but what if you are in the mood for an elegant gourmet potato salad with walnuts rather than the comfort food style? The following recipe shows you how to add a gourmet twist to this all-American classic recipe, making it perfect for any special occasion.
Potato salad offers not only delicious flavors but also a softness in the mouth, and it is this soft texture that we love. This gourmet potato salad with walnuts recipe features walnuts however, to add an unusual crunch to the dish. You will love how well the sherry vinegar and walnut oil combine, as well as how the other flavors work so nicely in the dish.
Gourmet Potato Salad with Walnuts: Herby and Tasty
The minced fresh herbs work especially nicely in the dish, and you can add some minced chervil to the herbs mixture if you wish. Also, feel free to add other ingredients to the finished salad, such as blue cheese or bacon, if you want to make it more substantial. Else serve it as an appetizer rather than a simpler side dish.
The more you make this gourmet potato salad with walnuts, the more you will fall in love with it, especially if you work fast and serve it while the potatoes are still warm.Print
Gourmet Potato Salad with Walnuts
Classic potato salad is given a makeover here. This gourmet potato salad recipe features walnuts for crunch, as well as garlic, sherry vinegar and more. An elegant side dish for any meat or fish.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: USA (Traditional)
- 2 lbs (1 kg) small thin-skinned potatoes, in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon each fresh parsley, chives and fresh tarragon, all minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) walnut oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Small handful of walnut halves
- Peel the potatoes if you want (this is optional though).
- Put the potatoes in a pot with 3 pints of water and a couple tablespoons of salt and bring to a boil.
- Lower the garlic into the water and blanch it for about 45 seconds, then remove it and run it under cold water.
- Keep simmering the potatoes for 5 minutes or until they are tender but not too soft.
- Don’t cover the pot.
- Drain them and keep about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the cooking water.
- Arrange the potatoes on a couple of rimmed baking sheets in one layer.
- Mince the garlic.
- Whisk the oil and vinegar with the garlic, some black pepper, and the reserved cooking water from the potatoes.
- Taste and add more salt if required.
- Drizzle the dressing over the potatoes and let the salad stand for 10 minutes.
- Mince the shallots and herbs now if not already done.
- Transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle the shallots and herbs over the potatoes, along with the walnut halves.
- Toss gently with a rubber spatula and serve immediately.
- Add the walnuts just before serving, else they might stain the white flesh of the potatoes.
- This salad is OK to sit at room temperature for a couple of hours.
- It is good served at room temperature or when the potatoes are still quite warm. Chilled also works if you prefer.
Keywords: potato salad with walnuts, walnut potato salad, unusual potato salad, warm potato salad