This delicious recipe for beef stroganoff with cream is perfect for a chilly winter evening. It is packed with flavor and really meaty. Because of that, you might want to make it regularly.
I used beef sirloin steak to make this and fresh mushrooms. Use a good quality steak as well as fresh mushrooms, since those are the main ingredients.
An Easy Way to Slice the Steak
It’s easier to slice the beef if it’s slightly frozen, so you might want to pop it in the freezer for a while (don’t forget about it in there!) Else if you are using a thawed steak, you can wait until it’s nearly thawed. Let it warm up to room temperature before cooking the recipe.
When you are mixing the broth with the flour, try to get it into a smooth slurry. This allows it to blend properly into the sauce and not go lumpy. Bringing the stroganoff to a boil will cook out the flour flavor and thicken up the sauce.
More Tips for this Recipe for Beef Stroganoff with Cream
You might want to adjust the amount of salt used, depending how salty your broth is. Because of that, just use your own judgment and taste as you go.
You can either use button mushrooms (white or brown) or shiitakes for a different flavor. This recipe for beef stroganoff with cream suits any kind of mushroom really. You might even want to mix a couple of different types of mushrooms in this.
Perhaps you prefer a vegetarian stroganoff recipe, in which case you can use vegetable broth and use extra mushrooms instead of the beef. Otherwise, you can try this vegetarian mushroom stroganoff instead.Print
Recipe for Beef Stroganoff with Cream
This recipe for beef stroganoff with cream is made with sirloin steak, fresh mushrooms, sour cream and more. Expect a rich and hearty flavor in every mouthful. This is wonderful served over your choice of egg noodles or rice.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1½ lbs (775g) beef sirloin steak, ½-inch (1¼ cm) thick
- 8 oz (225g) sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1 thinly sliced large yellow onion or 2 small ones
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ cup (60g) butter
- 1½ cups (375ml) beef broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup (30g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 cup (250ml) sour cream
- 6 servings hot cooked egg noodles
- Extra cream and fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Cut the beef into strips, across the grain. Make them about 1½ by ½-inch (3¾ by 1¼ cm).
- Sauté the onions, garlic and mushrooms in the butter over a moderate heat until the onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the sautéed vegetables to a dish.
- Cook the beef in the same pan until golden brown, then stir in two-thirds of the broth, as well as the Worcestershire sauce and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down the heat.
- Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile you can cook the egg noodles (or rice if you prefer that).
- Stir the rest of the broth into the flour, then stir this into the beef mixture.
- Add the onion mixture back in, and bring the stroganoff to a boil, stirring all the time.
- Cook for 1 minute then stir in the sour cream and warm it through (don’t let it boil again).
- Serve hot, over the hot egg noodles, garnished with cream and parsley if liked.
Keywords: beef stroganoff with cream, creamy beef stroganoff, how to make beef stroganoff