If you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming.
Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody.
Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is cold, and boasts garlic, tomatoes, avocado, and chilies. This might sound spicy but control the amount of jalapeño and you can tailor it to your palate.
Tortilla soup is also gorgeous (keep reading – we have a recipe for it coming up!) and popular south of the border as well. This can be a creamy soup or non-creamy, and choose whether to use chicken or beef, or whether to keep it vegetarian. Corn tortilla strips are what makes this particular soup stand out and those work well with various Mexican soup recipes actually.
This bright red, Russian soup is delicious and famous. Enjoyed all over the globe, the flavor is unmistakable and this is quite a healthy dish as well. It takes a while to put together so wait until you have a clear day then take your time making it lovingly, and the result will please you so much. Although borscht is usually served cold, a hot Russian borscht soup can also be very good, especially if the weather isn’t the best and you want to be warmed up.
This nutritious recipe boasts onion, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, as well as the tasty beets which offer the distinctive flavor. You also have kidney beans in there, plus ketchup, bay leaves, lemon juice and dill, for a perfectly balanced flavor in the finished dish.
Use Fresh Beets in Hot Russian Borscht Soup if You Can
I prefer to make this hot Russian borscht soup with fresh raw beets, rather than the already-cooked kind, but if you are pushed for time you could use those. Choose the plain ones not the pickled kind.
Some More Hot Content For You
Traditional Chinese food recipes are fascinating and following these will allow you to prepare the meal as it has been made and enjoyed for centuries. Every element of the authentic Chinese wonton soup recipe including the ingredients, preparation and serving suggestions are authentic.
The original style of preparing and cooking the Chinese recipes are incredible, and will allow you to indulge in top quality Chinese foods, keeping things traditional at every stage.
Ensuring that Chinese Food Recipes are Traditional
You may enjoy Chinese food, but what you purchase in the local takeout or eat at a Chinese buffet is unlikely to be traditionally Chinese. This means if you have the opportunity to experience traditional Chinese recipes as they should be prepared, you will be surprised. The taste, texture and preparation methods are likely to be incredibly different. Try this authentic Chinese wonton soup to start your taste buds off on your culinary journey.
Some people make wonton soup by dropping their filled wontons into their prepared stock and letting them simmer in there but others prefer to cook the wontons in water and then add them to the soup, so as not to make the soup cloudy. Since you are the cook and the one who is going to be eating the dish, it is totally up to you. You can prepare your cilantro shrimp wonton soup however you prefer.
The first few times I made cilantro shrimp wonton soup I put the wontons directly in the soup mixture and let them cook in there, but then I experimented with cooking them in water and then lifting them into warmed serving bowls using a slotted spoon and ladling the hot soup over the top. Both ways are good, the second perhaps more authentic. You will just need an extra pot.
This cilantro shrimp wonton soup recipe features shrimp (both whole ones to garnish the soup and minced ones inside the wontons) as well as plenty of sesame oil and cilantro. The stock for this shrimp wonton soup recipe is made by infusing ginger, cilantro and more in a basic chicken stock and then sieving out the additions. It is important to serve a tasty stock with your wontons. Continue reading
This flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face.
Chicken wonton soup recipes are every bit as tasty as pork wonton soup, but ground chicken does make a change. This chicken wonton soup with cabbage is really good. Paired with flavorful Napa cabbage or another variety, as well as green onions and ginger, these wontons have an exciting filling which means you will enjoy eating it as well as putting the recipe together.
It is best to use a low-sodium broth for this chicken wonton soup with cabbage recipe, since the recipe also contains soy sauce and that can be quite salty too. It is easy enough to add a little extra seasoning to the soup afterwards but there is not much you can do if it is too salty to begin with. The soft wontons floating in the hot soup give it appeal and texture and anyone you serve this to is sure to love it. Kids like chicken wonton soup as much pork wonton soup too. Continue reading
There are hundreds of different wonton soup recipes to choose from and you can even make your own variations by switching one kind of meat for another, using different vegetables or even using a different kind of stock or broth for the wonton soup.
The word “wonton” literally means “swallowing a cloud” and that is what the floating wontons are meant to resemble in the soup. You can serve wonton soup recipes for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer.
One of the more unusual wonton soup recipes is duck wonton soup and the following recipe shows you how to make this delicious dish. You can make this duck wontons recipe up to 6 hours ahead, if you keep them covered in the refrigerator. You can freeze the soup stock if you like.
Feel free to change the ingredients. This recipe calls for garlic chives and Chinese broccoli, ingredients which not every home cook will be able to locate nearby. The main ingredients are the wonton soup stock and the wontons themselves, so just use whatever you have. Continue reading
- Elegant Seafood Fettucine with Lemon and DillTry this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe if you are out to impress. This is the perfect go-to recipe for a dinner party because it pairs seafood with pasta and it looks like a true gourmet dish on the plate, although to be honest it is really easy to put together. As well as the fettuccine pasta you will need mixed seafood, and for your flavors you will be adding lemon, dill and a touch of Tabasco sauce – flavors which are amazing with seafood. For this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe, the pasta is cooked in one pan while the seafood mixture is cooked in another. You then have the choice of either combining .....
- Bamboo Shoot and Pork WontonHere we are looking at making bamboo shoot and pork wonton. Pork and shrimp might sound like a strange combination but as wonton fans everywhere know, it is a magical mixture! Add bamboo shoots, green onions and a few other choice ingredients and you have wonton soup to die for. These wontons are meaty, fish and full-flavored. If you use water, then you will get soft wontons. Wontons are boiled in liquid when you want them to be soft and fried when you want a crispy finish. Another way to get a soft finish is to steam the wontons. This bamboo shoot and pork wonton recipe is easy to make and even if you’re new to wonton making you will .....
- Quick and Easy Banana PancakesWhether you are looking for a tasty breakfast recipe, a quick snack or even a sweet treat when you get peckish in the evening, this easy banana pancakes recipe is ideal. You can combine the ingredients in a couple of minutes, then cook the pancakes in a skillet on the stove for a few minutes. Serve them just as they are, drizzled with some syrup or perhaps will chopped fruit or berries as a filling. You can also tweak our recipe, perhaps adding some cinnamon or nutmeg or even a little brown sugar. The sweetness of the banana means you don’t really need to add any sugar to the pancake batter, especially if you are going to serve it with .....
- How to Microwave VegetablesThe best thing about using a microwave to cook your vegetables is you can be assured of great results every time. If you boil or roast them you might leave them in there too long and end up overdoing them and, let’s face it, what’s worst than soggy overcooked veggies? Learn how to microwave vegetables and you have a new speedy way of cooking them. A microwave cooks vegetables by producing electromagnetic waves which force polarized water molecules to oscillate. This makes the temperature increase. Plant foods, namely fruit and veggies, have more water in them than, for example, meat, making them ideal candidates for the microwave because .....
- Mouthwatering Mexican Crack Slaw RecipeAlthough crack slaw is an Asian dish and is usually made with Chinese seasonings, there is no reason you cannot experiment with the dish and find your own preferred way of making it. Since this Mexican crack slaw is such a good Atkins diet recipe it is worth knowing a few variations so you don’t get bored with it. You can make it Mexican, Greek, Spanish or use other herbs, spices and seasonings to give it a totally different feel. The dish is mainly meat, poultry or fish, along with vegetables and seasonings. You won’t even miss the carbs, I promise! Typical Mexican Flavors The following Mexican crack slaw recipe shows you how to .....
- Best Cajun Chicken Pasta RecipeAre you in the mood for Cajun cuisine or something Italian? This Cajun chicken pasta recipe offers the best of both worlds. Pasta is an Italian favorite of course, and Cajun seasoning just brings out the beauty of the chicken and the pasta, resulting in a dish you will adore. You might have enjoyed something similar before or perhaps the combination of Italian and Cajun is a brand new treat for your palate. Either way you will certainly enjoy this tasty dish. This is simple enough for beginner cooks to master and once you have made it you will be sure to want to make it again. The following recipe makes enough for 2 people so you can easily .....
- Interesting Things about Stuffed SquidI love seafood, especially stuffed squid. I was born in England but have lived in various places including the Canary Islands and Spain, which is how I picked up many tips about cooking stuffed squid and other seafood and how I developed my love of squid, octopus and every delightful treat from the sea! Like many people, I was nervous about cooking squid because I was worried about it turning rubbery, but with the right recipe and the correct cooking time/temperature that is not a concern, and if my squid is not tender then I know it just needs more time. Yes, being a fan of stuffed squid means knowing how to cook it properly. When a sharp .....
- Easy Recipe for Coq au VinCoq au vin is a wonderful French dish featuring chicken, bacon, mushrooms and red wine. Other typical ingredients in this dish include garlic, thyme and onion. Our easy recipe for coq au vin shows how to to prepare this wonderful French treat. If your mouth is watering already you are not alone. This combination of ingredients appeals to nearly every palate, offering both richness and gentle aromatic flavor. Harmonious Flavors Come Together The red wine and bacon work beautifully together to add a special rich taste to the finished easy recipe for coq au vin dish, and of course the chicken thighs offer plenty of juicy flavor of their own......
- Different Kinds of Starter RecipesThere are many different kinds of starter recipes, ranging from basic two or three ingredient combinations which you can put together in one minute flat, to the more elaborate and gourmet style dishes which are a mixture of many ingredients and take a long time to create. There are different dishes for different occasions and you should always match the type of food you serve with the people who are going to be eating it and the type of occasion itself. Old Favorites and Classic Starters There is nothing wrong with sticking to tried and tested recipes if you aren’t sure what to make. There are many kinds of starter recipes to choose .....
- How to Poach an Egg like a ProPerfect poached eggs are a tasty idea for breakfast, perhaps with buttered toast and some bacon or sausage. They can also be served as a garnish or side dish with meat. You might be wondering how to poach an egg like a pro in the microwave, how long to poach eggs or even how long to poach quail eggs since they are so much smaller. The most typical way to poach an egg is in a pan of water on the stove, although we are going to look at microwave poaching as well. Bring a pan of water to a boil and add a pinch of sea salt. Now crack an egg into a cup, then pour it into the water. Repeat with however many eggs you are poaching. They will start .....