If you love both Mexican food and soup, prepare yourself to discover more about lovely south of the border soups. There are certainly a lot of Mexican soup recipes to sample and they are ideal for special occasions, perhaps Easter, Christmas or someone’s birthday, and the spicy ones are great when the weather is chilly because they are wonderfully warming.
Not all Mexican soup recipes are spicy though. Some are mild and others are sweet. Some of them can be served as appetizers while others are better for the entrée or even as dessert. There really is something for everybody.
Take cream of jalapeño soup, which is ideal when the weather is cold, and boasts garlic, tomatoes, avocado, and chilies. This might sound spicy but control the amount of jalapeño and you can tailor it to your palate.
Tortilla soup is also gorgeous (keep reading – we have a recipe for it coming up!) and popular south of the border as well. This can be a creamy soup or non-creamy, and choose whether to use chicken or beef, or whether to keep it vegetarian. Corn tortilla strips are what makes this particular soup stand out and those work well with various Mexican soup recipes actually.
This bright red, Russian soup is delicious and famous. Enjoyed all over the globe, the flavor is unmistakable and this is quite a healthy dish as well. It takes a while to put together so wait until you have a clear day then take your time making it lovingly, and the result will please you so much. Although borscht is usually served cold, a hot Russian borscht soup can also be very good, especially if the weather isn’t the best and you want to be warmed up.
This nutritious recipe boasts onion, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, as well as the tasty beets which offer the distinctive flavor. You also have kidney beans in there, plus ketchup, bay leaves, lemon juice and dill, for a perfectly balanced flavor in the finished dish.
Use Fresh Beets in Hot Russian Borscht Soup if You Can
I prefer to make this hot Russian borscht soup with fresh raw beets, rather than the already-cooked kind, but if you are pushed for time you could use those. Choose the plain ones not the pickled kind.
Some More Hot Content For You
Traditional Chinese food recipes are fascinating and following these will allow you to prepare the meal as it has been made and enjoyed for centuries. Every element of the authentic Chinese wonton soup recipe including the ingredients, preparation and serving suggestions are authentic.
The original style of preparing and cooking the Chinese recipes are incredible, and will allow you to indulge in top quality Chinese foods, keeping things traditional at every stage.
Ensuring that Chinese Food Recipes are Traditional
You may enjoy Chinese food, but what you purchase in the local takeout or eat at a Chinese buffet is unlikely to be traditionally Chinese. This means if you have the opportunity to experience traditional Chinese recipes as they should be prepared, you will be surprised. The taste, texture and preparation methods are likely to be incredibly different. Try this authentic Chinese wonton soup to start your taste buds off on your culinary journey.
Some people make wonton soup by dropping their filled wontons into their prepared stock and letting them simmer in there but others prefer to cook the wontons in water and then add them to the soup, so as not to make the soup cloudy. Since you are the cook and the one who is going to be eating the dish, it is totally up to you. You can prepare your cilantro shrimp wonton soup however you prefer.
The first few times I made cilantro shrimp wonton soup I put the wontons directly in the soup mixture and let them cook in there, but then I experimented with cooking them in water and then lifting them into warmed serving bowls using a slotted spoon and ladling the hot soup over the top. Both ways are good, the second perhaps more authentic. You will just need an extra pot.
This cilantro shrimp wonton soup recipe features shrimp (both whole ones to garnish the soup and minced ones inside the wontons) as well as plenty of sesame oil and cilantro. The stock for this shrimp wonton soup recipe is made by infusing ginger, cilantro and more in a basic chicken stock and then sieving out the additions. It is important to serve a tasty stock with your wontons. Continue reading
This flavorful chicken wonton soup with cabbage also has green onions, sesame oil and more. If you are looking for an alternative to pork wonton soup recipes you might enjoy this one. You can make the filling up to 2 days in advance if you like. This flavorful chicken wonton soup recipe makes a healthy dinner or a warming lunch and you can even enjoy it as a snack in the middle of the morning of afternoon, whenever you aren’t ready for a meal but you want something more substantial than just a cup of coffee, which is not going to fill you up too much but still warm your belly and put a smile on your face.
Chicken wonton soup recipes are every bit as tasty as pork wonton soup, but ground chicken does make a change. This chicken wonton soup with cabbage is really good. Paired with flavorful Napa cabbage or another variety, as well as green onions and ginger, these wontons have an exciting filling which means you will enjoy eating it as well as putting the recipe together.
It is best to use a low-sodium broth for this chicken wonton soup with cabbage recipe, since the recipe also contains soy sauce and that can be quite salty too. It is easy enough to add a little extra seasoning to the soup afterwards but there is not much you can do if it is too salty to begin with. The soft wontons floating in the hot soup give it appeal and texture and anyone you serve this to is sure to love it. Kids like chicken wonton soup as much pork wonton soup too. Continue reading
There are hundreds of different wonton soup recipes to choose from and you can even make your own variations by switching one kind of meat for another, using different vegetables or even using a different kind of stock or broth for the wonton soup.
The word “wonton” literally means “swallowing a cloud” and that is what the floating wontons are meant to resemble in the soup. You can serve wonton soup recipes for lunch or dinner, or serve small portions as an appetizer.
One of the more unusual wonton soup recipes is duck wonton soup and the following recipe shows you how to make this delicious dish. You can make this duck wontons recipe up to 6 hours ahead, if you keep them covered in the refrigerator. You can freeze the soup stock if you like.
Feel free to change the ingredients. This recipe calls for garlic chives and Chinese broccoli, ingredients which not every home cook will be able to locate nearby. The main ingredients are the wonton soup stock and the wontons themselves, so just use whatever you have. Continue reading
- Catalan Mussels RecipeFresh mussels have their own distinctive flavor and they don’t need much added to them to bring out their natural taste. Mussels and cockles are great for making appetizers, or starter recipes. Mussels steamed are great, as are mussels cooked in other ways. One of the best ways to work with this seafood is to try out this Catalan mussels recipe. Adding Flavor to the Mussels In this Catalan mussels recipe, vinegar, lemon, oil and basil are used to add flavour and the natural mussel recipe taste shines through. This dish is best chilled overnight so allow plenty of time to do that. This is also a bonus if you are planning a number of .....
- Elegant Seafood Fettucine with Lemon and DillTry this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe if you are out to impress. This is the perfect go-to recipe for a dinner party because it pairs seafood with pasta and it looks like a true gourmet dish on the plate, although to be honest it is really easy to put together. As well as the fettuccine pasta you will need mixed seafood, and for your flavors you will be adding lemon, dill and a touch of Tabasco sauce – flavors which are amazing with seafood. For this seafood fettuccine with lemon and dill recipe, the pasta is cooked in one pan while the seafood mixture is cooked in another. You then have the choice of either combining .....
- Bacon Wrapped Avocado AppetizersThese bacon wrapped avocado appetizers are absolutely gorgeous and you can serve them as an appetizer or side dish. They are low in carbs (if you leave out the sugar) but high in flavor. Spicy or Mild, Your Choice Use the chili or cayenne pepper if you wish, or just have the bacon wrapped avocado appetizers without if you want a milder finish. These are great to pop into the oven when you have something else cooking on the stove. I wasn’t sure these would work the first time I made bacon wrapped avocado appetizers. I have made bacon-wrapped shrimp before, and bacon-wrapped cheese, but this is the first time I used avocado. Although .....
- Easy Lamb Shanks with Garlic and HerbsLamb shanks are always good although they tend to be more expensive nowadays than before. Go back a few years and the price was much lower, the reason being well-known chefs are beginning to serve lamb shank recipes in their restaurants, pushing up the price. This easy lamb shanks with garlic recipe is reminiscent of classic lamb shank dishes. Never mind about the price being more than it was. Lamb shanks are not prohibitively expensive, they make a great dish, they are easy to cook and the meat, when cooked properly, is falling-apart tender and oh so flavorful. I like to cook easy lamb shanks with garlic often and I tend to cook them in the .....
- Chorizo Stuffed SquidThis chorizo stuffed squid recipe really is good. The baby squid are stuffed with chorizo to make this Spanish inspired chorizo stuffed squid meal. The end result is simply amazing. Whether or not you have cooked squid before, you are sure to find this a relatively easy recipe to follow and get right. Chorizo Stuffed Squid: Hmm, Fish and Meat Together? Although using chorizo and squid in the same recipe sounds odd, it really is good and the chorizo adds a beautiful salty finish to the seafood. Have you ever tried bacon-wrapped fish or prosciutto-wrapped shrimp? Seriously, pork and fish do go together really well. I wasn’t convinced but .....
- Tasty Taco Salad in Tortilla BowlsAs much as I love salad (and I really do!) I do find myself getting bored with the same old salad recipes over and over, which is why finding a new recipe or learning a new salad tip or trick is always so great. Take this taco salad for example. Not only can you expect the flavorful flavors of Mexico, but you also get a crunchy taco bowl to serve the salad in. I love to present my taco salad in tortilla bowls because it looks so impressive but is actually easy! Tortilla bowls are very easy to make and you can do them in the oven. Use cooking spray and you add only a few calories to the tortillas themselves. You can serve any kind of salad in .....
- Sesame SeedsSesame is a flowering plant and it is naturalized and cultivated for its edible seeds. Sesame seeds are believed to be the oldest oilseed crop and has been domesticated for more than 5000 years. The plant is drought-tolerant, making it a ‘survivor crop’ – capable of growing where most other crops would fail. In 2010, more than 3.84 million metric tons of sesame seeds were harvested in the world, the largest producer of which was Myanmar. India exported the most and Japan was the biggest importer. Sesame has one of the highest oil contents of any seed. This rich, nutty-tasting ingredient is used in many different cuisines, .....
- Creamy Mushroom StroganoffThis creamy mushroom stroganoff recipe is so good. Combining mushrooms with onion and celery, this nutrient-rich dish is flavored with mixed herbs, basil and stock. You can use chicken or vegetable stock, as you wish. A little parsley and some sour cream is all you need to add to this mixture to finish it off well, perfecting both the flavor and texture of the dish. You might be more familiar with beef stroganoff but this exciting creamy mushroom stroganoff dish is also nice when you use an earthy vegetable to make it and mushrooms are idea. Celery also goes well in this. You can use full-fat or reduced-fat sour cream or crème fraîche to .....
- 1930s Kitchen Ideas for a Retro FeelA 1930s kitchen was considered to be a product of the streamlined era, and included several different trends both modern and retro. You can introduce 1930s kitchen ideas into your own kitchen to bring a touch of this charming era into the room where you cook, spend time and perhaps where everyone tends to gather at parties. By the 1930s homeowners had begun to enjoy decorating their homes and wanted their kitchens to be modern and trendy. There were many time-saving gadgets available, and housewives enjoyed organization and had far less clutter. 1930s Kitchen Ideas: Appliances and Accessories Kitchens became a key place for the whole family .....
- Spicy Potato CakesSpicy potato cakes go beautifully with any poultry, meat or fish dish, as an alternative to hash brown, boiled or mashed potatoes, or even rice, pasta or other starchy sides. Something else you can do with these spicy potato cakes is serve them for breakfast, perhaps with fried eggs, mushrooms and a sausage or some bacon strips. They are also nice served as a snack with sour cream on top. The spicy potato cakes recipe is Indian influenced, and a lot of Indian dishes feature spices. Adding spices to something doesn’t mean the taste has to be fiery hot. Instead you can add a fragrant, aromatic touch by carefully selecting which spices .....