Pork Crack Slaw with Ginger and Sesame
This pork crack slaw recipe is really good if you want to make use pork in a low carb dish. Featuring ginger, garlic and green onions, this pork crack slaw recipe has a strong Asian theme which you will love. The original crackslaw recipe is Asian and, while you can theme your crackslaw on Greek, Italian or another cuisine, the Chinese recipes always taste best, at least in my opinion.
Ground pork is a budget choice and while it is often used to make meatballs or burgers it is also great in this recipe because it suits the Asian flavors and soaks up all the different tastes. It just works well!
Pork Crack Slaw: Maybe Try a Ground Beef/Pork Mix
Where I live you can’t buy ground pork, you can only get ground half-and-half, which is half pork half beef. I’ve used that in this recipe and it’s been fine.
That’s the great thing about crackslaw recipes – you can change them up however you want, adding a bit of this or a bit of that, and altering the end result. I could always grind my own pork I guess, but I’m happy with the half-half mix so I haven’t done that yet. Just see what ground meat you can get or what is on sale and rest assured it will make a tasty crackslaw. Make sure you double-check it’s 100% meat though, no sugar added. You don’t want sugar in a low carb pork crack slaw recipe.
If you want a change from beef, try this pork crack slaw and see how amazing it tastes. You are definitely going to love the lighter flavor. Ground pork is often cheaper than ground beef too, so you will be saving money as well as making yummy food.
- 1 lb (450g) ground pork
- 1 bunch green onions
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons grated ginger root
- ½ teaspoon Splenda or sugar
- 2 tsps toasted sesame oil
- 1 large white cabbage
- ½ cup (125ml) soy sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 2 red bell peppers
- ½ small head broccoli
- 2 small carrots
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- A few tablespoons water, as needed
- Process the green onions, bell pepper, broccoli and carrots in a food processor on 'shred' or else you can shred them by hand.
- Grate the ginger by hand.
- Chop the garlic finely.
- Toast the sesame seeds by heating them in a dry skillet, shaking often. When they are fragrant and golden brown, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in large pot, or a Dutch oven.
- Cover the pot and gently cook the veg for about half an hour, stirring every few minutes, until reduced by about half.
- Add the ginger and stir it in well with the vegetables.
- In the meantime cook the pork in another pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up lumps. When it is no longer pink (after about 8 minutes) it is done.
- Drain off the fat from the pork, if you want.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, hot sauce, garlic and sweetener or sugar in a bowl and pour this over the vegetables.
- Add the pork to the veggies and simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Serve with the toasted sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Recipe for Squid Stuffed with Rice and HerbsThis fun video shows you how to make delicious squid stuffed with rice and it is aimed at beginners, so you can see exactly what you need, how to prepare the ingredients and how to stuff and cook your squid to perfection. Stuffed squid recipes are really easy, so long as you know what you need and how to prepare and combine the ingredients, as well as how long to cook it so your squid comes out beautifully tender. This squid stuffed with rice cooking video is easy enough for complete beginners to master so if you are worried about getting lost in technical cooking jargon then don’t, because that is not what stuffed squid is all about. .....
- British Indian Food and How It All BeganIndian cuisine is really popular in the UK, but British Indian food differs from authentic Indian cuisine. While some dishes are Anglicized versions of typical Indian dishes, others are Indian takes on typical British dishes, so there is plenty of fusion. Fish and meat are cooked as curries with Indian vegetables, and yogurt, almonds and coconut are typical ingredients in this cuisine. British roast beef for example can be modified with chilies and cumin to make a curried beef dish. Indian roast type dishes, rices, breads and curries all offer a distinctive Indian taste. Some examples of British Indian food include mulligatawny, fish .....
- Authentic Chinese Wonton SoupTraditional Chinese food recipes are fascinating and following these will allow you to prepare the meal as it has been made and enjoyed for centuries. Every element of the authentic Chinese wonton soup recipe including the ingredients, preparation and serving suggestions are authentic. The original style of preparing and cooking the Chinese recipes are incredible, and will allow you to indulge in top quality Chinese foods, keeping things traditional at every stage. Ensuring that Chinese Food Recipes are Traditional You may enjoy Chinese food, but what you purchase in the local takeout or eat at a Chinese buffet is unlikely to be .....
- Sweet and Sour Sesame Chicken WingsChicken wings are always a good choice because they are full of flavor and nice to pick up and eat with the fingers. This sweet and sour sesame chicken wings recipe adds an Asian spin to the chicken, offering a wonderful sweet and sour flavor which you will love. There are different ways to cook chicken wings. You might want to deep fry them with or without a coating, pan fry them, grill them, or even bake them in the oven. The chicken wings in this recipe are flavored and then baked in the oven until they are crispy and perfectly cooked. These sweet and sour sesame chicken wings are unique. The chicken wings are flavored with garlic and .....
- Easy French Macaron RecipeA macaron is a French meringue-based treat, made with powdered sugar, white sugar, egg white, almond and food coloring. These delicious little bites are often composed of two macarons sandwiched together with buttercream, jam or ganache, and you can get many different flavors. You can even make your own easy French macaron recipe. Don’t confuse macarons (with one O) with macaroons (with two O’s) – the latter are heavy, coconut cookies. Macarons are been around for hundreds of years, and they are believed to date back to 8 AD. Italian pastry chefs accompanying Catherine de Medici in 1533 when she married Henry II of France, .....
- Traditional English Ploughman’s LunchA ploughman’s lunch is a wonderful treat, best enjoyed in the beer garden of an old country pub, with a cold pint of cider or real ale. You can order a traditional English ploughman’s lunch in many English pubs, and you’ll never be disappointed. Dating back to the 1930s, a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is comprised of crusty bread and butter, English cheese, pickled onions, pickles and chutney, and it might also include ham, apple, radishes, hard-boiled eggs or Scotch eggs, celery, cherry tomatoes, and other cold ingredients. Now you know why a traditional English ploughman’s lunch is so good. Farm .....
- Brilliant Bruschetta RecipeA bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella. So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make .....
- Authentic Egg Fried Rice without Soy SauceEgg fried rice without soy sauce is a dish lots of people want to make but since soy sauce is one of the key ingredients it can be puzzling working out how to get around that. Fried rice is one of the best-known Chinese dishes, but the authentic recipe is quite different to what you might be used to. For example, have you tried making egg fried rice without soy sauce? That is how it is made in China, well in many parts of the country, and the more authentic option in many cases. Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Such a Tempting Dish to Make Egg fried rice is the dish to make when you want to use leftovers to rustle up something quick and .....
- Easy Freekeh SaladBefore you think about making this easy freekeh salad you might be wondering about this grain. What is freekeh, you might be thinking, and that is a very good question because a lot of people have never heard of this particular grain. Freekeh can also be spelt frikeh, and it is known as farik as well. This cereal food is made from green wheat which goes through a roasting process. It is traditional in Arabian cuisine along with North African and some other cuisines. The wheat is harvested while the seeds are soft and the grains are yellow, and then it is sun-dried. Piles of freekeh are set on fire and the straw and chaff burn, leaving the .....
- Mango Bubble Tea RecipeBubble tea is an ice cold drink dotted with chewy tapioca pearls. The popularity of this beverage has grown so sharply recently you can find bubble tea shops all over the place these days. It is actually hard to walk past one and not go in and treat yourself to one of these wonderful treats. A mango bubble tea recipe always goes down nicely. Like many things you buy from a shop or cafe, bubble tea can work out expensive if you buy a lot of them, making it worthwhile learning how to make bubble tea yourself at home. The mango bubble tea recipe is super-easy and you can experiment with all different flavors. What is Bubble Tea and Where is It .....