Pork Crack Slaw with Ginger and Sesame
This pork crack slaw recipe is really good if you want to make use pork in a low carb dish. Featuring ginger, garlic and green onions, this pork crack slaw recipe has a strong Asian theme which you will love. The original crackslaw recipe is Asian and, while you can theme your crackslaw on Greek, Italian or another cuisine, the Chinese recipes always taste best, at least in my opinion.
Ground pork is a budget choice and while it is often used to make meatballs or burgers it is also great in this recipe because it suits the Asian flavors and soaks up all the different tastes. It just works well!
Pork Crack Slaw: Maybe Try a Ground Beef/Pork Mix
Where I live you can’t buy ground pork, you can only get ground half-and-half, which is half pork half beef. I’ve used that in this recipe and it’s been fine.
That’s the great thing about crackslaw recipes – you can change them up however you want, adding a bit of this or a bit of that, and altering the end result. I could always grind my own pork I guess, but I’m happy with the half-half mix so I haven’t done that yet. Just see what ground meat you can get or what is on sale and rest assured it will make a tasty crackslaw. Make sure you double-check it’s 100% meat though, no sugar added. You don’t want sugar in a low carb pork crack slaw recipe.
If you want a change from beef, try this pork crack slaw and see how amazing it tastes. You are definitely going to love the lighter flavor. Ground pork is often cheaper than ground beef too, so you will be saving money as well as making yummy food.
- 1 lb (450g) ground pork
- 1 bunch green onions
- 4 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons grated ginger root
- ½ teaspoon Splenda or sugar
- 2 tsps toasted sesame oil
- 1 large white cabbage
- ½ cup (125ml) soy sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 2 red bell peppers
- ½ small head broccoli
- 2 small carrots
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- A few tablespoons water, as needed
- Process the green onions, bell pepper, broccoli and carrots in a food processor on 'shred' or else you can shred them by hand.
- Grate the ginger by hand.
- Chop the garlic finely.
- Toast the sesame seeds by heating them in a dry skillet, shaking often. When they are fragrant and golden brown, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in large pot, or a Dutch oven.
- Cover the pot and gently cook the veg for about half an hour, stirring every few minutes, until reduced by about half.
- Add the ginger and stir it in well with the vegetables.
- In the meantime cook the pork in another pan, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up lumps. When it is no longer pink (after about 8 minutes) it is done.
- Drain off the fat from the pork, if you want.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, hot sauce, garlic and sweetener or sugar in a bowl and pour this over the vegetables.
- Add the pork to the veggies and simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Serve with the toasted sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Spanish Paprika ChickenChicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully. What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and .....
- White Food Recipes for After Teeth WhiteningHaving your teeth professionally whitened is the best way to get that gorgeous pearly shade without breaking the bank on veneers or another expensive treatment. The process itself is usually painless although your teeth might be a little sensitive afterwards. You will need white food recipes for after teeth whitening for a couple of days. Even though it’s possible to fashion a menu from the list of ‘allowed’ white foods it’s helpful to have some fresh ideas to keep things interesting! Read on to learn what you can eat after teeth whitening, what you must avoid after teeth whitening, and some more teeth whitening .....
- How to Get a Job in Gran Canaria and Live ThereSo you’re interested in working in sunny Gran Canaria? I have plenty of handy information to share with you about moving to Gran Canaria, living there and working there, so read on! Whether you want a job in Gran Canaria or you’re just curious, I can share my experiences with you. Gran Canaria is one of the Canary Islands and is situated off the coast of North Africa. With great weather all year round, Gran Canaria is a great tourist desination and somewhere you can work all year round if you are a member of the EC or have a visa to work in Europe. What Type of Work is There? If you are willing to accept a bar job in Gran Canaria .....
- Best Cajun Chicken Pasta RecipeAre you in the mood for Cajun cuisine or something Italian? This Cajun chicken pasta recipe offers the best of both worlds. Pasta is an Italian favorite of course, and Cajun seasoning just brings out the beauty of the chicken and the pasta, resulting in a dish you will adore. You might have enjoyed something similar before or perhaps the combination of Italian and Cajun is a brand new treat for your palate. Either way you will certainly enjoy this tasty dish. This is simple enough for beginner cooks to master and once you have made it you will be sure to want to make it again. The following recipe makes enough for 2 people so you can easily .....
- Wonderful Winter Dessert IdeasWinter is a wonderful time to try out some of the more rich dessert options available. In the warmer months, you won’t want to spend much time in the kitchen and baking is definitely out of the question. Standing near an oven in the winter, though, might even be welcome and settling down with a nice piece of cheesecake is always a treat. That’s why it pays to know some good winter dessert ideas. Cheesecake is a great recipe to try out in the winter. The colder temperature lends to the setting process and leaving the cheesecake in the oven for an hour or so won’t be a problem. Cheesecake can come in many flavors, which is helpful when .....
- Creamy Potato Salad with BaconPotato salad is always good but add bacon and you have a really mouthwatering side dish. The following creamy potato salad with bacon is a recipe which is very simple to make; the potato salad will keep for a few days once prepared. Serve it chilled or room temperature. Some people even like it served warm, as soon as it is made. Use boiling potatoes to make potato salad, not mashing potatoes which tend to disintegrate too easily. The choice of dressing is up to you. While a lot of people just use their favorite mayonnaise, you might prefer another kind of creamy dressing for this creamy potato salad with bacon, else you can use half mayo .....
- The Secret of Crispy Sweet Potato FriesSweet potato fries are always good and they pair well with many a snack – with sandwiches, burgers, ribs, or even just some ketchup to dip them in! However, many of us have the problem of homemade sweet potato fries being, well, not crispy enough. That’s why you need to know the secret of crispy sweet potato fries. I’ve never had real success with my oven baked sweet potato fries but what I have discovered is a great recipe to get them super-crispy using a deep fryer and I am sharing my recipe with you below. Why Use Sweet Potatoes for Fries The reason I use sweet potato fries is my husband is diabetic and white potatoes .....
- How to Make a Healthy Vegetarian FrittataEggs are a wonderful and versatile ingredient for vegetarians, and you can use them to make breakfast, lunch or dinner, so it is a good idea always to keep some in the refrigerator. The following recipe teams the eggs with fresh vegetables, garlic, cheese, and basil, and the result is light yet perfectly satisfying. This healthy vegetarian frittata is something you are sure to enjoy. Feel free to change the vegetables, using up whatever you have in the refrigerator. Pretty much anything goes, so you might wish to swap the green onions for red onion, the baby spinach for broccoli, the potatoes for mushrooms, or even the basil for cilantro or .....
- Choosing the Best Oven to BuyThere are different kinds of ovens on the market but which is the best oven to buy? A single stove or range with a cooking top on top and an oven underneath is space conserving and affordable and found in most houses. However, if you are looking for a new oven, there are a few other options available. Some people who like to cook have stoves with up to eight burners instead of four, grilling and basting functions and built in warmers. Is this the best oven to buy? Well it depends on your requirements. Other people like modular cook-tops which let you add downdrafts, burners, griddles, steamer and deep frying units, rotisseries, broilers and .....
- 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ BeefI often make this dish because it is so simple, and all you need to make it are 2 ingredients – beef and BBQ sauce. Any tough cut of beef which needs to be braised or slow cooked will work, so opt for braising or stewing steak, or something like skirt or flank. You will also need a crockpot and it is up to you whether you want to cook this 2 ingredient crockpot BBQ beef recipe on high, medium or low. How Long Should 2 Ingredient Crockpot BBQ Beef Cook? Use high and the beef will be done in about 5 hours. Double that for low, and guess somewhere in between the 2 for medium. Of course, the exact time depends on your crockpot and the meat .....