Low carb steak marinade recipes are great on a keto way of eating. Steak is a popular protein on low carb diets because it is nutritious, filling and versatile. You can marinate it, use a spice rub or sauce, grill, barbecue or pan-fry it, or prepare it in another way.
Plain steak and vegetables can become a bit boring and tedious though, which is why knowing how to make an easy low carb steak marinade recipe can breathe new life into your evening meal, adding tasty, spicy accents.
The following low carb steak marinade recipe is made with basil, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. You will need to let the steak soak in the marinade to soak up all the wonderful flavors.
If you wish to tweak the recipe, swapping the balsamic vinegar for red wine vinegar, the onion powder for minced fresh onion or the red pepper flakes for a few drops of Tabasco sauce, that is fine.
Marinating Times for Low Carb Steak Marinade
We recommend about 4 hours as a good amount of marinating time, but overnight is also good. If you’re marinating a fine cut of steak such as strip steak or filet mignon, half an hour is sufficient, while tougher cuts like flank, brisket or skirt steak can be left in the mixture overnight.
Serve the finished steak with low carb side dishes such as creamed spinach or bacon-wrapped avocado unless you want to try a low carb potato dish, in which case Carisma potatoes might tempt your taste buds. This low carb steak marinade is sure to impress you.
Low Carb Steak Marinade Recipe
Basil, onion, garlic, balsamic vinegar and red pepper flakes are used in this low carb steak marinade recipe, to infuse the meat with a rich, hearty flavor. The keto marinade for steak teams sweet with savory and spicy.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- marinating: 4 hours
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Marinade
- 1/4 cup (6 g) fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 minced minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup (65 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all the ingredients to make your marinade.
- Put a couple of steaks in a glass dish or resealable bag.
- Pour in the marinade and ensure the meat is well coated.
- Marinate for 4 hours, turning halfway through.
- Discard the marinade.
- Bring the meat to room temperature (very important!)
- Cook the steak until it’s done how you like it.
- This makes enough marinade for 2 typical sized steaks, or you can use a pound of flank or skirt steak, or you could even pop some stewing steak in the crockpot with this marinade and slow cook it for 8 hours or until done.
- Since you are discarding the marinade after marinating the meat, you will not get all the calories, fat, carbs, protein or fiber listed in the nutrition panel (depending how much of the marinade your steak has soaked up) so it’s for guidance only.
- Serving Size: 1/2 the recipe...
- Calories: 158
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: low carb steak marinade, keto marinade for steak