There are thousands of potato recipes, and many ways to prepare roast potatoes, including this spicy roast potatoes recipe. One of the nicest things to do with them is spice them up before roasting, and then you will be able to enjoy the aromatic spices and the potatoes too with their crispy outsides and fluffy hot insides.
The following spicy roast potatoes recipe is very simple to make. You will need floury potatoes like King Edward, Yukon Gold, Charlotte, Maris Piper, or Duke of York.
Floury varieties are better for mashing, fry-making or roasting, while non-floury potatoes suit boiling better. If you try to boil a floury potato it is likely to disintegrate, but the dry, fluffy texture of floury potatoes make them idea for roasting when you want the outside to crisp up to golden brown perfection and the inside to be perfectly fluffy.
There are different floury potatoes to choose from, for making this spicy roast potatoes dish, depending where you live, but if in doubt just ask or look at the label.
Spicy Roast Potatoes: Spicing Up the Spuds
This spicy roast potatoes recipe calls for salt, turmeric and paprika to spice up the potatoes. Although there are other recipes for spicy roasted potatoes with longer lists of ingredients, keeping things simple also works well, and you will get a delicious flavor with just those 3 ingredients, along with the potatoes and some oil.
If you do want to make your spicy roast potatoes hotter, add some red chili flakes or grind on some pepper, but that is your call. These are wonderful served with any meal, poultry or fish, and you might like to serve some kind of creamy sauce or dressing on the side (or even some sour cream) to contrast with the spicy taste.
Spicy Roast Potatoes
Turmeric, paprika and salt are used to spice up floury potatoes. A little oil is the only other ingredient you need to make this. Served as a side dish with meat or fish, these potatoes are easy and yummy!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 5 lbs (2¼ kg) peeled, chopped floury potatoes
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper and/or cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- Sour cream and/or shredded cheese, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
- Add the turmeric to a pot of boiling, salted water.
- Add the potatoes and simmer, covered, for 4 minutes.
- Put the oil in a roasting pan and put it in the oven for 5 minutes to heat up.
- Drain the par-cooked potatoes and shake them to roughen the surfaces (just a little, not too much) because this helps them crisp.
- Tip the potatoes into the hot oil, then toss with a metal spoon.
- Sprinkle with paprika (and a little cayenne if liked).
- Roast for 1 1/4 hours without turning them, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Sprinkle salt over them (maybe some black pepper too if liked).
- Serve hot with some sour cream and/or cheese on top.
- Serving Size: 1/10th of the Recipe
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: spicy roast potatoes, spicy roasted potatoes, spices for roasted potatoes