Easy Diabetic Chili Recipe
I love chili con carne and find myself making it often, either as a tasty treat for myself or as a shared meal for my husband and I. I usually make a big batch of it so I can enjoy it for lunch the next day, and the next! My husband is diabetic, so I needed to find a tasty low carb diabetic chili recipe which would taste good and look appetizing, and that is when I came up with this one.
The ingredients are nutritious and the flavor in this diabetic chili recipe is wonderful. You can tweak this diabetic chili recipe to your heart’s content, swapping the ground beef for chicken or pork, adding more spice (or less!) or swapping the tortilla bowls for homemade tortilla chips. You can use your favorite type of low carb tortillas to make any of these. You could even use a pizza cutter to slice tortillas into strips and scatter those over the finished dish. Now is this diabetic chili recipe sounding tempting?
I have a couple of crockpots – a huge one and a medium (OK small) one, and it’s the smaller one I use for making this diabetic chili recipe. I saute the meat with onions and garlic, then stir in the other ingredients and transfer the whole lot into the crockpot. I find 4 hours is enough to cook the chili and get all the flavors rich and perfect if I cook the diabetic chili recipe on HIGH or perhaps 8 to 9 hours on LOW. Which I choose just depends what time of the day I get the mixture in the crockpot.
Best Diabetic Chili Recipe
My husband is my biggest fan where it comes to cooking and, even though our regular menus have changed since his diabetes diagnosis, I still endeavor to keep things interesting. There are plenty of foods off-limits to him now, but I’ve discovered plenty of tempting treats such as low carb Carisma potatoes and Lizi’s low GI granola, both of which we really likes. But back to the chili – this diabetic chili recipe makes a nice dish for anyone who is diabetic or following a low carb diet for whichever reason.
I’ve made plenty of chilies in the past and I enjoy trying new variations. In fact I wrote/found 30 chili recipes for this extensive post if you’re looking for more ideas. The following recipe details how I put the diabetic chili recipe together last night but you can add anything else to the mix if you want. This is just a template and this way of making it does yield a nice flavor.
More Low Carb Chili Tips
To make the chili bowls for our diabetic chili recipe, you will need to spritz low carb tortillas with nonstick cooking spray then drape them over upturned ovenproof bowls (I have metal ones) and they will hold that shape and get crisp. Make these ahead if you want, or when the chili is pretty much ready to serve. The salad should be made at the end too. If you want to prep your salad ingredients ahead, toss the avocado in lime juice (instead of adding it to the dressing) else it will turn brown.
The exact number of carbs in the diabetic chili recipe will depend which of the optional ingredients you use, as well as your brand of hot sauce, whether you use low-carb cream and so on, so it’s better just to say this recipe was created with the diabetic eater in mind.
Making a Diabetic Chili Recipe for a Crowd
If you’re cooking for a crowd you could rustle up some white rice to serve to the non low-carbers or even regular tortillas as well as the low carb ones. Take this diabetic chili recipe and do whatever you like with it, either following it to the letter or tweaking it to your needs and wishes. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 lb (450g) ground beef
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 14 oz (400g) tomatoes in juice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Chili powder and/or hot sauce, to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- 4 low carb tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Small bag of mixed salad leaves
- 8 halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 sliced avocado
- Lime juice, to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Fresh herbs, to garnish (I used basil but cilantro would work too)
- First heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Add the beef, onion and garlic.
- Saute, stirring, until the beef is browned all over.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to your crockpot.
- Cook it on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Spray the tortillas on both sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drape each one over an upturned metal bowl (or similar).
- Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 minutes or until rigid.
- Toss the salad leaves, cherry tomatoes and avocado.
- Dress with lime juice and extra-virgin olive oil.
- Ladle some chili into each tortilla bowl.
- Serve the salad on the side.
- Offer cheese and sour cream at the table or add them now as a garnish.
- Offer extra hot sauce at the table for those who prefer their chili fiery!
How to Make Tortilla Bowls
This video shows you how to make the tortilla bowls the diabetic chili recipe is served in. I used metal bowls rather than the Pyrex ones used in the video but the concept is of course the same. As we ate the diabetic chili recipe, we broke off pieces of the tortilla to enjoy by dipping it into the chili and sour cream. The tortilla bowl doesn’t go soggy.
Some More Hot Content For You
- Why White Noise Helps You SleepSome people find it hard to fall asleep without a fan whirring while others find the sound of a blow dryer or washing machine soothing. But how come making more noise can help with sleep? Isn’t a silent room the most conducive to getting a good night’s rest? Actually that isn’t always the case, and some people even buy white noise machines or download white noise apps to ensure they get to sleep quickly and easily, and stay asleep until morning. A lot of people have hear it works but don’t know exactly why white noise helps you sleep. What is White Noise? This consistent sound comes out across all audible frequencies .....
- Beautiful Pandora Charm Bracelet IdeasPretty much every girl and woman knows about Pandora charm bracelets, and there is no doubt these are an exciting piece of jewelry. You can choose from silver or gold, pick out the charms that mean something special to you, and change them whenever you like, perhaps considering green and red charms around Christmas time, romantic pink ones for Valentine’s, fun summer ones for the summer, and so on. There are lots of Pandora charm bracelet ideas regardless of your personal style. Perhaps you want to buy a baby-related charm when you have a child or another one. Let your Pandora charm bracelet tell the story of your life and give it .....
- Standard Kitchen Cabinet DimensionsWhen planning a new kitchen or renovating your existing kitchen, there are various things that you need to know if you are going to do the work yourself, especially standard kitchen cabinet dimensions. “What are the standard kitchen cabinet dimensions” is a very common question to ask and you will need to know the answer so you can plan what to buy and also so you can plan what is going to go where and what exactly you are going to have in there. If space is at a premium you might be limited in the amount of drawers, cabinets and workspace you are able to get. Now, standard kitchen cabinet dimensions: base kitchen cabinets are 24 .....
- Chunky Vegetable Stew with Potato RostiNothing beats a stew on a chilly day, and even if you do not eat meat or chicken, you can still make the most wonderful flavored chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti. This dish is made with vegetables instead of meat so it is also nutritious. The onion and garlic are fried first, just to turn them golden brown and bring out their wonderful aromas, then all the other ingredients go into the pot and the stew really starts to take shape. The seasonings for the chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti are cumin and orange juice, and then of course you have the garlic taste. This might not sound like much but don’t forget how great the .....
- Crispy Baked Camembert RecipeCamembert cheese is often featured as one of the cheeses on a cheeseboard, but there is more you can do with it. Similar to brie, this French cheese offers a ripe, creamy flavor, and it is also delicious served hot. Some people choose to fry the breaded Camembert in oil but you can also oven bake it if you want to cut the calories and fat content. Try this baked Camembert recipe for yourself to experience an amazing taste and texture. How Many Will This Crispy Baked Camembert Recipe Serve? This baked Camembert recipe will serve 2 if you want a filling starter or light main dish, or you can cut each cheese in half before you dip in the egg .....
- Carb Blockers – Everything You Need to KnowDieting isn’t always easy. If it was, we would all be slim, right? The problem with a lot of diets is you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods (you know, all those ones that taste good) and feel hungry in order to shed a pound or two, if you’re lucky. So what about carb blockers – everything you need to know about these might just convince you to give them a try but honestly, do they really work? Reducing the intake of carbs is a popular way of lowering weight, and you can try diets such as Atkins to show you how to keep your carbs very low. The problem with diets like this is they eliminate (at least in the .....
- Unusual Japanese ToiletsJapanese toilets have become a popular addition to many bathrooms all over the world, as people are realizing these top-quality additions are perfect in every way. Unusual Japanese toilets are something worth finding out more about. They’re just intriguing! The toilets which you can find in Japan are typically more advanced than toilets which are manufactured anywhere else in the world. There are two main designs of the toilet commonly found in Japan – the squat toilet and the bidet toilet. The older style squat toilet is often seen in public toilets but this is not a style that appeals to average households who are more included .....
- Chinese Recipes with PorkChinese roast pork, roast belly of pork, BBQ spare ribs, pork meatballs, sweet and sour pork… these are just some of the famous Chinese recipes with pork we know and love in the West. Once you grind or mince the pork, you can use it to make a pork wontons recipe, but pork is often chopped or shredded or even served whole in other classic Chinese dishes. Because pork is so common in China, the Chinese word for pork (‘yuk’ in Cantonese or ‘rou’ in Mandarin) is meat. Different recipes require different cuts of pork, depending on the cooking method and other ingredients in the dish. Chinese Recipes with Pork: Red-Cooked .....
- Deep-Fried Chicken Dim SumThis tempting deep-fried chicken dim sum recipe serves a crowd, and you can double it too. It is easy to make if you are methodical, mixing the filling together, then distributing it between the wrappers and working in batches. The crunchy hot chicken treats can be served alone or with your favorite sauce. Why We Love Deep-Fried Chicken Dim Sum, Actually ALL Dim Sum! Known as dim sum in Chinese, appetizers in the Western world, or tapas in Spain, small snacks will always have a place in our hearts and on our tables. They can precede a main dish or just be served as a snack. Dim sum, or Chinese appetizers, are versatile, tasty and just so .....
- Cream Cheese Wontons with CrabCrab and cream cheese are combined in this easy wonton recipe for a spectacular result. You will need softened cream cheese for these cream cheese wontons with crab so either leave the cream cheese at room temperature for a while or microwave it for 20 seconds. Feel free to be creative with the wonton wrapper shape when making your cream cheese wontons with crab. You can make scrunched up wontons, triangles or any other shape you fancy. Just make sure they are well sealed so they hold together when they are being fried. What Kind of Crabmeat to Use Dungeness crabmeat is the best kind to use, but use whatever type of lump crabmeat you can .....