This delicious Thai tom kha gai soup recipe is made with 10 ingredients only plus a few optional extras for serving. We are using chicken and mushrooms to make this, along with typical Thai ingredients like galangal, lemongrass, lime, coriander, coconut, fish sauce and palm sugar to make it.
This is a tasty, filling Thai chicken soup recipe and it’s also therapeutic if you’re under the weather or suffering from a cold or the flu. The chicken and vegetables are nourishing while the steam from the soup helps with decongestion.
As for the garnish, we like to present this traditional tom kha gai soup recipe with cilantro, chilies, lime leaves and lemongrass but feel free to omit one or all of those, as you prefer.
How to Serve Our Tom Kha Gai Soup Recipe
This makes a great lunch or evening meal, perhaps served with something crunchy as an appetizer. Egg rolls or spring rolls would be fine, or you might like to have something seafood-based to begin the meal instead. Because this is a spicy soup, consider following up with something creamy to cool the mouth, perhaps mousse or ice cream.
While the Spice is Nice in Thai Chicken Soup… Tweak as Needed
Feel free to alter the amount of spice in this tom kha gai soup recipe. Not everyone likes the chilies although they are popular in many Asian cuisines so those cultures are more accustomed to them.
A lot of traditional Thai recipes are quite spicy but when making your own you are in charge of what goes in there, so alter the recipe as you see fit. If you are a fan of Thai recipes, try our Thai fried rice or Pad Thai dishes. Continue reading
This is a wonderful side dish to have with chicken, pork or another kind of meat, or you could enjoy it by itself for lunch or a light evening meal. Thai fried rice with egg is similar to the Chinese egg fried rice you might be more familiar with. We are just including typical Thai flavors instead of Chinese ones.
This only takes about 5 minutes to make because you are warming up the rice, cooking the vegetables to al dente (which doesn’t take long) and cooking shrimp (which doesn’t take long either!) If you prefer to use chicken or another protein, shredded cooked chicken can be tossed in at the end with the green onions, and just warmed through. You can also omit the chicken for a vegetarian version of the dish.
What Else is in Thai Fried Rice with Egg?
Known as khao phat in Thai (since khao means rice and phat means stir-frying) this dish is often made with shrimp, chicken or crab, along with onion, garlic and perhaps tomatoes as well.
Traditionally Thai fried rice is made with Thai jasmine rice, but you can use any kind of leftover cooked rice to make it. Fish sauce and soy sauce are typical flavorings, and we also love a little oyster sauce in the mix. A pinch of sugar is good if you want to add sweetness. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
Yesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe.
Thai Food Inspiration
While I was having this massage, I was listening to Thai music, gazing around the room at Buddha statues, candles and Thai pictures, and afterwards sipping a Thai tea. So I guess I got a craving for Thai food! For this reason I decided to make tom kha gai, or Thai chicken soup, for lunch once I got home. I had most of the ingredients already, I just needed to grab some chicken and cilantro.
I found this authentic Thai chicke soup recipe quick and easy to put together and the flavor was wonderful. Making the chicken broth before sieving the ‘bits’ out and using it to make the actual soup is recommended. Just begin with all the ingredients laid out, plus one pot, one sieve and a serving bowl and spoon, and you will find this an absolute breeze to prepare.
Perhaps you are familiar with Thai tea, or maybe this drink is a new one to you. Whichever is the case, we are going to look a little closer at this beverage and find out some more about it. What is Thai tea exactly? Well let’s have a look.
First of all, not all Thai teas are created equal – some have orange food coloring, others have no food coloring. Some are made with cardamom, vanilla and anise, some with just one or two of those. Chai tea is an Indian tea similar to Thai tea but not the same. Again, there are various recipes for that too.
How to Drink Thai Tea
Some people like theirs with Half and Half while others prefer condensed or evaporated milk, and many people like to add plenty of sugar or sweetener to the finished drink. Thai tea can be served over ice for a refreshing summer drink (and it is commonly known as ‘Thai iced tea’) or you can enjoy it hot. Personally I like it hot with a splash of 2% milk, but I’m English so perhaps that’s why!
The first time I tried Thai tea was in a restaurant in Bedford. I had it cold and, wow, it was so good! I’m not usually into sweet tea or coffee (at all) but this one was sweet and the balance was perfect. If you want to experiment with Thai tea recipes, try some in a Thai restaurant first to see whether you like it (it’s quite different from Chinese tea, black tea, green tea, jasmine tea etc) then choose from loose Thai tea or Thai teabag sachets. I prefer the latter, since it’s just easier.
I never get tired of this wonderful dish – it really is the best traditional Pad Thai recipe. The rice noodles, shrimp, tamarind, nuts, lime juice and other ingredients work together in perfect harmony and the flavor is simply wonderful.
The full name of pad thai (sometimes spelt pat thai) is kway teow pad thai, which means stir-fried rice noodles in a Thai style, and it is thought to be a southern Chinese dish which was introduced to Thailand in the mid-20th century.
Pad Thai Noodles
It is important to cook the noodles perfectly in order to make the very best traditional Pad Thai recipe. You will need ‘rice sticks’ which are dried flat noodles. Some people soak them while others boil them. I’ve tried both ways and both work fine. Continue reading
This is very typical food in Thailand, and you can find Thai fried rice with shrimp (or chicken or another protein) served everywhere from a food stand on the street corner to a fine Thai food restaurant. There are different ways to make Thai fried rice with shrimp and you can usually specify which meat you want to have in there. When making Thai fried rice, you can use up any meats or seafood and veggies left in the refrigerator so if you have leftovers it is a great way to use them up.
More about Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp
Unlike Chinese fried rice and some other kinds, Thai fried rice comes with a wedge of lime on the side along with prik nam pla, which is chilies and fish sauce combined together. Use the following recipe as a starting point, adjusting the ingredients to match what you happen to have available.
It is always best to use day-old cooked rice to make your Thai fried rice with shrimp, because freshly cooked rice is too moist and will steam instead of fry. If that isn’t possible though, just ensure your rice has time to cool down because this will dry it out quite well.
If you want to make your own prik nam pla (fish and chili sauce) to serve with this (and you really should, for an authentic Thai rice flavor!) then you should put 3 tablespoons of fish sauce in a bowl and add 4 sliced Thai chilies. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime if you like, although the lime is optional.
- How to Wrap WontonsWonton wrappers come in different shapes and sizes but 3 inch square ones are possibly the most common variety. The following video shows you how to fold a wonton (or how to wrap wontons) for perfect results. You can then poach or deep-fry your wontons. How to Wrap Wontons in Different Ways Choose from triangles, flower buds or nurse caps – your wontons will look really professional and hold together perfectly in the broth or oil as they cook. If you are baking or steaming them, you have more options because you can arrange them on top of lettuce or cabbage leaves in your steamer and expect them to stay upright. The same applies if you are .....
- Best Beer Brewing SystemsBrewing systems come in different shapes and sizes, so you can choose whatever of the best beer brewing systems is best for you. This device will allow you to make your own beer or other drinks at home without having to lift heavy brew kettles. You can choose from beer, wine, cider, mead, and other drinks using the process of fermentation. You can make non-alcoholic or alcoholic drinks with these systems. It’s Legal, Right? Well, the legality of home brewing does vary from place to place, although it has been done in various places all over the globe for over 7000 years. If you fancy making your own beer, why not have a look at some of .....
- Indoor Smoker RecipesAn indoor smoker is a wonderful buy if you want to smoke your own food but you either don’t want to do it outdoors, you don’t have a backyard, or the weather isn’t really on your side. There are different types of indoor smokers to choose from but you can get one for under $50 and the results of your indoor smoker recipes will be really impressive. Bring all the delicious flavors of wood smoking indoors and try smoking a whole fish filet or ham. You can also smoke ribs, salmon, chicken, sausages, tofu, cheese, nuts, garlic, salt (yes, smoked salt is amazing!), Cornish hens, and much more. No oil or fats need to be added .....
- An Introduction to Appetizer RecipesThere are simple snacks and there are complicated ones. You have probably made appetizer recipes before, or snacks for parties. If you’re totally new to cooking maybe you are worried about making your own, but there is really no need because they are so easy. Sticking cocktail sticks into cubes of cheese counts as making a starter, as does opening a jar of olives and putting them into a dish. Of course these aren’t the most impressive dishes you could come up with! There are appetizer recipes and snacks for every occasion, whether you are catering for a party, a buffet, a sporting event, a coffee morning or something else. Some .....
- All About Easy Wonton RecipesI love discovering new recipes. I also love sharing them, hence the creation of Easy Wonton Recipe, the site where my wonton-related content was before I shifted it over here! Cooking is fun and I especially love cooking for others and seeing their eyes light up as they enjoy my culinary creations. There are plenty of easy wonton recipes for every palate and I often like to try new ones out. A lot of people don’t realize that it is possible to make the most amazing flavored dishes using basic ingredients and good, wholesome, fresh produce. You don’t need to combine thirty ingredients to make a tasty meal and, as long as .....
- Lahmacun Turkish Pizza RecipeEveryone loves pizza but perhaps you are becoming a little bored with your usual pepperoni or meat feast option. In that case, it might be high time you try something brand new like our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe. Just about every cultures has its own take on pizza. It really is a global phenomenon. In Turkey, lahmacun is a typical dish, and it is basically a pizza base topped with meat and Turkish flavors. What Goes on Top of a Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe Also known as an Armenian pizza recipe, a lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is usually topped with either lamb or beef, along with minced veggies and herbs, including tomatoes, onions and .....
- Thai Fried Rice with ShrimpThis is very typical food in Thailand, and you can find Thai fried rice with shrimp (or chicken or another protein) served everywhere from a food stand on the street corner to a fine Thai food restaurant. There are different ways to make Thai fried rice with shrimp and you can usually specify which meat you want to have in there. When making Thai fried rice, you can use up any meats or seafood and veggies left in the refrigerator so if you have leftovers it is a great way to use them up. More about Thai Fried Rice with Shrimp Unlike Chinese fried rice and some other kinds, Thai fried rice comes with a wedge of lime on the side along with .....
- How to Steam ChickenAfter you have discovered just how delicious your steamed ground beef wontons are, you might like to try steaming something else. Learn how to steam chicken and discover a brand new way of making it. After all, your steamer is a very handy piece of apparatus. So how about steaming a chicken? This is very healthy since you don’t need to add fat, and the water (the steam) keeps the meat moist and juicy. Cook small birds, like the Cornish hen, whole or larger ones in pieces, maybe just the breast or even quarters if you have a larger steamer. If you do not have an electric steamer, you can use a bamboo steamer or metal rack above a pan of .....
- Gourmet Gnocchi with Cherry Tomatoes and ProscuittoGnocchi makes a change from pasta or pizza but is just as Italian. So if you are in the mood for Italian food but not something too, well, obvious, consider gnocchi! This dish, which comprises potato gnocchi, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, is also known as gnocchi alla sorrentina. Gourmet gnocchi makes such a nice dinner. It’s the perfect balance between satisfying and delicate. I like to add prosciutto to the dish but you could add serrano ham or regular ham instead (the thinly shaved kind) or else just leave it out, for a vegetarian result. You could even get creative here, adding shredded cooked chicken or similar, as a way of .....
- How to Create Your Own Curry RecipeThis is a 4-step guide to making curry, and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. Follow the steps learning how to create your own curry recipe and you will end up with the most delicious dish. There is nothing to worry about when making such a dish and it is best to get creative. So read through this to find out the 4 stages of curry making, then get yourself into the kitchen and prepare something wonderful – no need to follow any recipe to the letter! Step 1 in this how to create your own curry guide is all about softening any dense ingredients which will take a long time to tenderize. If you are using tough cuts of meat .....