I fell in love with lamb shanks the first time I ever tried them. They are so tasty, so juicy and the flavor is amazing. Lamb shanks are best slow cooked and, although you can do them in the oven, a crockpot or Dutch oven will be your very best friend in the kitchen if you want really great results from this braised lamb shanks in red wine sauce recipe.
One lamb shank per person is enough, and they go really well with mashed potatoes and vegetables (maybe red cabbage, asparagus or carrots) along with your choice of sauce. I like to make lamb shanks in the crockpot and then either spoon the sauce directly over the meat, or else reduce it in a pan to make it thicker.
Tips for Braised Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce
The following braised lamb shanks in red wine sauce recipe is best made in a Dutch oven, a large, heavy-bottomed pot. If you prefer to use a crockpot, sear the meat first, then put everything in the crockpot and cook it for about 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high, or until the lamb is so tender it is almost falling apart.
If you want to leave out any of the vegetables that is fine. At the end, you will need to use an immersion blender (handheld/stick blender) to get the sauce smooth. Add as much hot water as needed. The sauce should be thick but not too thick. Continue reading
This Greek lamb pasta bake with feta is a delicious dish, pairing pasta with ground lamb, feta cheese and other Greek flavors. It is similar to pastitsio, Greece’s answer to lasagna, and you will find it really delicious and warming.
Serve this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta with a simple salad on the side and a balsamic and extra-virgin olive oil dressing, or else just enjoy it by itself. If you’re into carbs, a slice of lightly toasted baguette bread would go well with this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta too. There are so many pasta bake recipes to choose from, and the great thing about such a dish is you can use pretty much any kind of ground meat, any kind of cheese, and then choose your own herbs and spices to complement the flavors you have chosen to use.
Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with Feta – What Kind of Pasta?
You can use any kind of pasta for this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta. I often use penne pasta but recently discovered maccheroncelli which is a long, tubular pasta that is great with heavy sauces or in casseroles. Another similar type is perciatelle or you can use macaroni, penne, spaghetti… whatever you like really. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
A lot of people find this British recipe for shepherd’s pie perfect for the colder months, and I fall into that group. Really, is there anything more comforting or delicious than shepherd’s pie when the nights are getting cooler?
Shepherd’s pie is often confused with cottage pie, but shepherd’s pie is made with ground lamb not ground beef. Think about it – shepherds have sheep not cows! If you want to use ground beef, then that’s also tasty but it’s technically cottage pie. Our British recipe for shepherd’s pie is made with lamb.
We are making this in the British style, using bay leaves, thyme and Worcestershire sauce for flavor, along with meaty stock, an anchovy (that might sound like a strange ingredient but honestly it really complements the dish) and onion. The result is a fantastic British recipe for shepherd’s pie dish which the whole family will go crazy for. This is nice served by itself or you can have some carrots, broccoli, peas or another vegetable on the side. Continue reading
Everyone loves pizza but perhaps you are becoming a little bored with your usual pepperoni or meat feast option. In that case, it might be high time you try something brand new like our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe. Just about every cultures has its own take on pizza. It really is a global phenomenon. In Turkey, lahmacun is a typical dish, and it is basically a pizza base topped with meat and Turkish flavors.
What Goes on Top of a Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe
Also known as an Armenian pizza recipe, a lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is usually topped with either lamb or beef, along with minced veggies and herbs, including tomatoes, onions and parsley. It is baked in the oven until done, and usually served with tomatoes, lettuce, garlic sauce, roasted eggplant (aubergine) and/or pickles.
A lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe is Turkey’s answer to the thin and crispy kind we are familiar with in the West, and the flavors are very different from the Italian style of pizza. Whether you know it as pizza or flatbread (and the terms are pretty much interchangeable when talking about thin and crispy rather than deep-dish), there is no doubt this makes an exciting change. In our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe we are making the dough but if you’re in a rush you can use a regular pizza base or try to get some Turkish bread which you can top.
Next in our lahmacun Turkish pizza recipe you have a tasty topping which is based on ground lamb (or ground beef if you can’t get lamb or don’t like it). Add tomato, lemon, chili, paprika, garlic and sumac (a tangy, red-brown Middle Eastern spice) and your lahmacun will start to take on its characteristic flavors. Top it with a tahini and lemon dressing, then finish off with pine nuts and parsley, and your Armenian pizza recipe is complete.
This lamb coconut curry with sweet potato recipe uses ground lamb rather than stewing lamb, and also includes sweet potato and peas, if you like, along with coconut milk, garlic, ginger, and curry powder to season it and add the flavors. This is a winter warmer and something lovely to enjoy on a chilly evening, to make a change from the beef or chicken curry recipes you usually prepare.
An easy curry recipe to make, this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato dish is sure to appeal to all the family, and if you wish to tweak it, for example by swapping the sweet potato for pumpkin, the peas for garbanzo beans, or hot curry powder instead of the mild kind, go ahead and you can really make this recipe your own.
I have made this lamb coconut curry with sweet potato a few times and really love it. It is good with rice or you could serve it with paratha or naan, or another Indian bread variety. The savory flavor of the lamb is incredible with the sweet potato, contrasting wonderfully, and there are various textures to enjoy in this dish too.
- Aberdeen Sausage Starter RecipeThis Aberdeen sausage starter recipe is a very delicious dish that carnivores will love. Beef and bacon are combined with the delicious flavors of Worcestershire sauce, parsley, oats, onion and more to give a delicious starter recipe which can be sliced up and served piping hot or warm from the oven, as you wish. Easy and Tasty This Aberdeen sausage starter recipe is not difficult at all and you will enjoy the flavours in it, especially if you are a sausage fan. Homemade sausages are not something a lot of home cooks make but if you are having guest for dinner and you are out to impress, you could do a lot worse than this recipe, and you .....
- Couscous Salad with Parsley and LimeThis is such a refreshing salad and it’s easy to make. We are using regular couscous but if you like Israeli couscous that is also fine, or you could consider bulgar wheat for a result for like tabbouleh. This couscous salad with parsley and lime is zingy, refreshing and really tasty. The key to making a good couscous salad is freshness. I find the more fresh ingredients it contains the better it is, so grab some tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and limes, along with the other ingredients, and you will be able to rustle up this delicious dish and experience all the amazing fresh flavors the way they are supposed to be enjoyed. How to Serve .....
- Wonderful WontonsIf you are looking for an easy wonton recipe to impress your family, you are sure to find some very tempting wonton recipes right here. Everyone loves wonderful wontons and they are so easy to prepare. Maybe you are keen to try out meat wontons, fish wontons, dessert wontons, fried wontons, baked wontons or one of the best wonton soup recipes. There are so many wonderful wontons you can try! There are various ways to wrap wontons and ways to cook wontons so whether you fancy a crunchy filled wonton or a soft dumpling-like one, we have the best wonton recipes for you. It is easy to be spoilt for choice because all of these easy wonton recipes .....
- How to Wrap WontonsWonton wrappers come in different shapes and sizes but 3 inch square ones are possibly the most common variety. The following video shows you how to fold a wonton (or how to wrap wontons) for perfect results. You can then poach or deep-fry your wontons. How to Wrap Wontons in Different Ways Choose from triangles, flower buds or nurse caps – your wontons will look really professional and hold together perfectly in the broth or oil as they cook. If you are baking or steaming them, you have more options because you can arrange them on top of lettuce or cabbage leaves in your steamer and expect them to stay upright. The same applies if you are .....
- Orange and Avocado Salad RecipeIf you are looking for a quick, easy vegetarian salad recipe, this one is very good and takes just minutes to put together. The sharpness of the oranges contrasts very well with the soft creaminess of the avocado and the lemon juice and oil dressing finishes it off just right. I love this orange and avocado salad recipe and have made it a few times now. Simple Yet So Good This orange and avocado salad recipe might sound very basic but a lot of recipes are great because they are kept simple, not in spite of it. Avocado offers a creamy nutty flavor which is wonderful with the orange, and this is also a colorful dish, not just a tasty one. It .....
- Low Carb Crab Crackslaw for Seafood LoversCut the carbs in your diet by using seafood and low carb ingredients to make a tasty meal. This crab crackslaw recipe features crab instead of the beef used in the original recipe. This is a rich, spicy recipe so the crab flavor is not so strong but that is what we are aiming for here, a dish with a hint of seafood flavor. And lots of typical crackslaw flavor. Crab is recommended if you are low-carbing but if you want to replace the crab with crabsticks or imitation crab watch out, because those do contain carbs and sometimes sugars which you obviously want to avoid when making low carb crab crackslaw. Canned crab is an economical .....
- Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring | Great Poke in HoustonPoke (pronounced po-kay, let’s get that out of the way first!) is currently a huge craze here in Houston, and actually nationwide. There are poke restaurants springing up all over the place as this tasty way of serving seafood takes off. Talking of ‘springing up’ there is a new poke restaurant in Spring, just north of Houston and south of The Woodlands. Spring is part of the Houston-Sugar Land-Woodlands metropolitan area. Hawaiian Poke Co, Spring, is one of the newcomers to this seafood lovers’ arena. This poke restaurant opened just a few weeks back, occupying Howie’s Tiki bar until 9pm when Howie’s .....
- History of the ToiletToilet history may not seem appealing; however, you will be amazed how interesting this subject can be when you begin to learn all the fascinating facts about the history of the toilet. Millions of people take the marvel of modern day toilets for granted, and it is hard to imagine a time without this basic convenience. Modern day plumbing and sanitation systems have ensured that a huge majority of people own a toilet. Prior to the invention of the modern flush toilets, which are seen in households today, the waste would have been disposed of through the use of chamber pots. These were filled and taken outside to the outhouses to dispose of, .....
- Kitchen Gadgets Every Home Cook Should HaveMost people already have basic kitchen appliances such as toasters and kettles but these items do break! That’s why it’s good that you can pick up replacement kitchen gadgets cheaply. Other small kitchen appliances include juicers, blenders, mini blenders and coffee machines and you can get tiny kitchen appliances if you have a tiny kitchen. Others fold up or you can store them in the cupboard on on a wall. Once you have sorted out all your main kitchen appliances, it is time to stock up on handy time-saving tools and labor-saving kitchen gadgets. Kitchen gadgets do not have to be complicated or expensive. Some of the best and .....
- Best Baked Chicken Breast with Cream of Chicken SoupThis baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe is quick and easy. It makes a great family dinner and everyone at the table will enjoy it. All you need to make this is chicken, a can of cream of chicken soup, milk, and poultry seasoning. The resulting baked chicken breast with cream of chicken is juicy and delicious, and pairs wonderfully with mashed potatoes, pasta or rice, and pretty much any vegetable. Try asparagus, broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob, or even colorful mixed veggies. An Incredibly Easy Baked Chicken Breast Recipe Anyone can make this baked chicken breast with cream of chicken recipe because it is really simple, .....