Gourmet gnocchi makes a change from pasta or pizza but is just as Italian. So if you are in the mood for Italian food but not something too, well, obvious, consider gnocchi! This dish, which comprises potato gnocchi, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella, is also known as gnocchi alla sorrentina. Gourmet gnocchi makes such a nice dinner. It’s the perfect balance between satisfying and delicate.
I like to add prosciutto to the dish but you could add serrano ham or regular ham instead (the thinly shaved kind) or else just leave it out, for a vegetarian result. You could even get creative here, adding shredded cooked chicken or similar, as a way of using up leftovers from last night’s meal.
What is Gourmet Gnocchi Exactly?
Consider it as a little dumpling made of potato and flour. You can make your own or grab a package from the pasta and rice aisle in the grocery store. Obviously it’s far easier just to grab some ready-made but for gourmet results you can prepare your own.
If you add plenty of fresh ingredients you can restore a homemade flavor to the dish. I like to add cheese, tomatoes and ham, and this adds plenty of flavor and color. It’s also really easy to make this simple Italian staple into a gourmet gnocchi meal ready to knock your partner’s socks off with big, bold flavors!
Serve this with some crusty bread, preferably ciabatta or another kind of Italian bread if you can get it, along with butter. Add a baby leaf salad and some kind of basic dressing like extra-virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, and you have a delicious main dish everyone will love.
This is one of the best recipes for gnocchi (recipes for nokki, some people might say!) I’ve made. It certainly makes an exciting change from the usual pasta recipes.Print
Gourmet Gnocchi with Cherry Tomatoes and Prosciutto
This delicious gourmet gnocchi recipe includes cherry tomatoes as well as prosciutto. The garlic and olive oil add typical Italian accents to this mouthwatering easy gnocchi dish.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 16 oz (1 lb) halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb (450g) potato gnocchi
- 12 oz (340g) diced mozzarella (dried on paper towels first)
- 3 oz (85g) chopped prosciutto (or wafer-thin sliced ham)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Fresh herb sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and heat it up.
- Sauté the garlic in there until golden brown.
- Now add the cherry tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the basil, sugar and some salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then turn the heat right down and keep it cooking as slowly as possible.
- Meanwhile put the butter in a pot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Now add the gnocchi and stir with a wooden spoon to coat in the oil/butter mixture.
- Grind in some salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Now flip the gnocchi over so the other side can brown.
- This will take another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir if necessary, then take the gnocchi off the heat.
- Remove the tomatoes form the heat and add the mozzarella.
- Add the mozzarella mixture and prosciutto to the gnocchi and stir.
- Serve with some Parmesan on top if liked, and add fresh herb sprigs for a gourmet presentation.
- Buy Gnocchi, on Amazon