Monthly Archives: October 2014
This incredibly easy banana bread with applesauce recipe is made by combining bananas with applesauce, eggs, vanilla and flour. Some sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt also go into the mix. Making this is very straightforward because you just have to combine the ingredients in a bowl, transfer the resulting mixture into a greased loaf pan, and then you can bake it until done.
Easy Banana Bread with Applesauce: Such a Tempting Snack
Served hot with butter and honey, this makes the most amazing snack, and it is a great comfort food. Homemade banana bread appeals to all the family from the youngest to the most senior, and there are all kinds of tweaks you can apply, such as adding chocolate chips, walnuts or raisins.
The applesauce increases the sweetness without having to use extra sugar, and it also helps keep the bread moist and dense, which good banana bread should be. Make this easy banana bread with applesauce loaf for the kids and they’ll be sure to enjoy it.
This is a great pesto spaghetti recipe to make if you are in the mood for Italian but also looking for something you can just throw together and have on the table half an hour after you thought of making it!
Spaghetti and meatballs is a typical Italian dish which combines pasta and meat in a simple way, and although a tomato sauce is often served with such a dish, pesto spaghetti is also nice and it is what we are using here, although you can switch one for the other if you like.
We are making baked meatballs and you can prepare the pesto spaghetti while the meatballs are baking, then have everything together at once. Make sure you have some extra fresh basil sprigs for an attractive garnish and consider what you want to serve on the side, or whether you want to omit a side dish and instead serve a tasty side dish such as this delicious Italian bruschetta recipe.
Pesto Spaghetti & Meatballs: Which Meat to Use
Here in Holland you can’t get ground pork for whatever reason (don’t ask me, I only live here!) so we use half and half (which is half beef and half pork) and that seems to work just fine, but you can use beef or pork if you prefer, or even ground turkey if that is what you like.
Some More Hot Content For You
I love Yankee Candle Tart Wax Melts and can’t seem to stop buying them! Since I have tried pretty much every scent, I thought I would share my Yankee Candle Tart scent reviews with you, to inspire you to try new scents and discover a new favorite perhaps.
I have an electronic tart burner as well as a tea-light one, and my husband and I both like trying new fragrances in our home. The first time I ever tried using wax tart melts was when I found a bargain set in one of the local shops here in Holland including a tea-light burner and a few small melts.
They were unbranded and didn’t smell that appealing but I liked the concept and began to wonder what quality wax melts would smell like, which is when I started to order directly from Yankee Candle.
Perhaps you live close to a Yankee Candle store or even somewhere like Bed, Bath and Beyond where they sell them, in which case you can simply wander in and sniff to your heart’s content. However, sniffing the melts through the packaging isn’t the same as smelling them burning, so I am going to try and describe all the scents for you, to help you make your choice. Continue reading
Low in calories but high in flavor, this wonderful baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe is sure to please your palate. The middles of the zucchini are scooped out and then you can add a wonderful ham and cheese filling, and bake them to perfection.
This is a very easy baked stuffed zucchini boats recipe which is nice served with Spanish rice or risotto, and just as nice served alone as a savory snack. If you want to make this dish vegetarian friendly, simply omit the ham, or else you might like to swap it for shrimp, salmon, walnuts, or pretty much anything else.
Tweak the Filling to Make It Your Own
The main ingredients in this baked stuffed zucchini boats dish are the zucchini and the cheese, so just add whatever you want to that mixture. You can also swap the ham for bacon, for a slightly different flavor, or even add some sausage.
This warm duck breast salad is one of my favorite recipes, and my husband especially loves this dish! It is really easy to make too, and a good introduction to the joys of working with duck breast. It does not take long to make. In fact you can have it ready in under half an hour, including both cooking and prep time.
This warm duck breast salad is filling enough to be the main dish, but if you were looking for an appetizer duck salad then simply use this recipe to serve 4 and it will make a tasty, filling appetizer dish, or even 6 if you don’t want such large appetizer servings.
Any leftover duck can always be refrigerated then used the following day to make tasty sandwiches. It will keep for a few days in the refrigerator actually, in a covered container. Chop it and add it to a risotto, pasta dish, pilaf, or something else.
The dressing is a simple 4-ingredient mixture which brings out the beauty of the duck flavor, while the salad can be anything you like, although keeping it simple with salad leaves, tomatoes and green onions is a good idea.
Egg fried rice without soy sauce is a dish lots of people want to make but since soy sauce is one of the key ingredients it can be puzzling working out how to get around that. Fried rice is one of the best-known Chinese dishes, but the authentic recipe is quite different to what you might be used to. For example, have you tried making egg fried rice without soy sauce? That is how it is made in China, well in many parts of the country, and the more authentic option in many cases.
Egg Fried Rice without Soy Sauce: Such a Tempting Dish to Make
Egg fried rice is the dish to make when you want to use leftovers to rustle up something quick and easy, something comforting and tasty, something literally anyone can make regardless of culinary expertise or cooking experience.
This egg fried rice without soy sauce dish is easy, folks, and delicious too! But before you grab your wok and leftovers, you need to know a few tips about how to make the best egg fried rice recipe ever.
Egg fried rice is found all over the globe, either the authentic version or something more tailored toward the country in question. In China, egg fried rice is considered a meal rather than a side dish, and it might be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 7 Winter Comfort Food RecipesComfort food tends to be hot, thick and tasty, and it can apply to both sweet and savory dishes. What is your favorite comfort food? Do you love winter comfort food recipes as much as I do? Are you into burgers and fries, homemade mac and cheese, onion rings with a creamy dip, a bowl of chili, or how about apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream? Homemade bread is wonderful, as is pizza. Winter comfort food recipes might not be the healthiest of food but balance it out by eating healthy meals at other times, and it can be part of a balanced diet. Although American food is what many of us think of when considering comfort food recipes, other .....
- An Introduction to Breda for VisitorsBreda (pronounced bray-DAH) is a city and municipality in the south of the Netherlands. The name comes from ‘brede Aa’ which means ‘wide Aa’, referring to where the rivers Mark and Aa meet. In 2014, Breda, Netherlands had 180,420 residents. Breda is known for its food and drink industry, and companies like Van Melle (Mentos), Kwatta (chocolate), Hero (soft drinks), and De Faam (licorice) are based there and known throughout Western Europe. Breda beer is exported all over the world, and there is also a sugar factory there to supply the sweet stuff to the food and beverage factories. The biggest brewery in the Netherlands, Oranjeboom, was .....
- Authentic California CuisineCalifornia is known for its amazing food, earmarked by a tradition of fruit, fresh leafy salads, fresh flavors, and organic dishes, although there is plenty of variety in Californian cooking, including fusion cuisine using fresh local ingredients. An attractive presentation is important in authentic California cuisine. Californians enjoy cooking with lean meats and seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, and anything low in saturated fat and high in nutrition. Japanese, Chinese, Italian, French, and Mexican cuisines have all influenced the fusion cuisine of California. California Food Pioneers Alice Waters has contributed to authentic .....
- Easy Baked Chicken LegsIf you have some chicken legs, or chicken leg quarters, in other words the thigh and drumstick attached, then you might be wondering how to cook them. I love to make easy baked chicken legs regularly. The good news is this cut of chicken is not only economical but filling, tasty (because it is higher in fat than the chicken breast) and easy to cook. Although you can slow cook chicken legs, I nearly always bake them in the oven because this gets the skin really crisp, and that’s the best bit! How to Get Chicken Skin Crispy on Easy Baked Chicken Legs You will need to add salt plus some kind of fat to get the skin to crisp up. This .....
- The Most Famous British StartersBritish food is considered by some non-Brits to be boring or stodgy. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Great British starter recipes include such delights as prawn cocktail, brown Windsor soup, cheese and tomato tartlets, homemade pate and more. Learn more about famous British starters and you will be able to rustle up all manner of delicious fare. In Wales you might find Welsh rarebit on the menu, which is basically grilled cheese on toast, but beer and Worcestershire sauce are used in the traditional recipe. Scottish food varies as widely as Scotland itself does but Scottish soups like cock-a-leekie and Scotch broth usually go .....
- How to Make Caramelized CarrotsLearn how to make caramelized carrots because this winning side dish goes with everything. This very easy recipe makes a lovely side dish. Carrots offer a natural sweetness but adding butter and a little sugar to the carrots gives them a wonderful crunchy glaze. Pair these with meat or poultry, adding some mashed potatoes too, for a great dish. I like to peel and chop mine into fat matchsticks but it’s up to you whether or not to peel, and also whether to cut them into slices, chunks or strips. The thinner they are cut the less time they will take to cook. How to Make Caramelized Carrots: Honey or Sugar I have made this recipe before .....
- Hoisin Celery Wontons in Wonton SoupThis exciting Hoisin celery wontons recipe features a flavorful broth containing homemade pork, hoisin and Chinese celery wontons. It couldn’t be simpler to make and this makes a warming meal for the whole family. You can even make extra wontons and freeze them for next time. This Hoisin celery wontons soup recipe calls for soy sauce paste. Soy sauce paste is similar to soy sauce but thicker. If you can’t get it, just use the regular kind. Be careful not to add too much sesame oil; a little really does go a long way. You can find Chinese celery in any Asian grocery store and it is sweeter than regular celery. If you can’t get it then try .....
- The Best Beauty Books You Can GetDo you want to improve or change the way you look? If so, have you thought of learning exactly what kinds of cosmetics are best for you, along with how to correctly put them on? Do you want to learn all the latest makeup trends and find out how to apply makeup like a pro? If you are, you may have turned to the web or fashion magazines, but have you thought about buying a beauty book? Some of the best beauty books will give you all the tricks and tips you need to know in order to look your best. If you haven’t or perhaps if you have, you might be wondering whether or not the best beauty books are really worth the money. When it comes to .....
- Dutch Speklappen or Speklapjes RecipeI’ve been living in Holland for several years and cooked speklappen, also known as speklapjes, for my husband a number of times. Speklappen or speklapjes (the same thing) means pork belly slices. You can get these quite cheap and they are easy to cook. Also, you can use them in a number of different recipes including the following Dutch speklappen or speklapjes recipe. The best way to cook these is in a little oil. Get the oil hot in a skillet or frying pan, then add the speklapjes in one layer and fry them. You will see them turn golden brown and crispy. Flip them halfway through cooking so they cook evenly on both sides. You can .....
- Spanish Paprika ChickenChicken is a popular ingredient in Mediterranean cuisine, and this Spanish inspired recipe makes the most of chicken thighs, a naturally juicy, flavor-packed part of the bird. Chicken thighs tend to be more economical than chicken breasts, and they also offer more juiciness and a richer flavor, so you have a win-win situation if you choose to buy them and use them in this Spanish paprika chicken recipe. Look out for discounted ones because they freeze beautifully. What to Use in Spanish Paprika Chicken We are adding onion and garlic to our Spanish paprika chicken, along with red wine vinegar, tomato paste, mustard, paprika, chicken stock and .....