I have to say this moussaka with potatoes and eggplant is one of my absolute favorite dishes. Moussaka is popular in countries of the former Ottoman empire. There are lots of regional and local variations. This dish might be made with potatoes or eggplant, or both, and usually with ground lamb too.
Moussaka is eaten cold in Arabic countries, sauteed and served casserole style in Turkey, and layered and served hot in the Balkans. A lot of moussaka variations have an egg-thickened milk sauce on top, or a bechamel (flour-based) sauce.
Origin of the Word Moussaka
The word moussaka comes from mousakás, a Greek word, which came from the Turkish musakka and the Arabic musaqqa’ah, meaning chilled. The dish is usually based on ground meat, sauteed eggplant and tomato.
The Greek version has meat, eggplant and a bechamel sauce and it is baked in the oven. It is thought the Greek version dates back to the 1920s. The sliced eggplant layer on the bottom is topped with a ground lamb and tomato layer, and then you also have onion, garlic, allspice, cinnamon and black pepper in there for flavor. On top is a bechamel sauce layer. Continue reading
Dips are always fun to make, especially if you have a food processor and can whip them up in seconds! Although sometimes a hot dip is good, such as this hot and creamy crab dip or even our tasty artichoke dip, cool and creamy dips are also good. Try our Greek yogurt avocado dip if you like cool, creamy dips for your chips or crudites.
When I made this particular recipe I enjoyed it with Doritos, but you could serve this with crackers, vegetable crudites, melba toast, baguette bread slices, corn chips, potato chips, or anything else you want to dip in there. I made this in literally 3 minutes and the flavor was amazing. I wasn’t planning to eat all of this Greek yogurt avocado dip but, uh, well you know how it is!
What You Need to Make Greek YogurtAavocado Dip
You will need some Greek yogurt, an avocado, some lime juice, and salt and black pepper to taste. If you want, you can swap the Greek yogurt for sour cream or use half and half. I’ve made it both ways, and both are good. Serve this as a Greek yogurt avocado dressing over salad if you want. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a splash of milk (only a little bit because you don’t want it too thin). Some cilantro in the Greek yogurt avocado dip is also nice, or you could put a small pinch of garlic powder in there. Even some hot sauce for a special zing! Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
This Greek lamb pasta bake with feta is a delicious dish, pairing pasta with ground lamb, feta cheese and other Greek flavors. It is similar to pastitsio, Greece’s answer to lasagna, and you will find it really delicious and warming.
Serve this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta with a simple salad on the side and a balsamic and extra-virgin olive oil dressing, or else just enjoy it by itself. If you’re into carbs, a slice of lightly toasted baguette bread would go well with this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta too. There are so many pasta bake recipes to choose from, and the great thing about such a dish is you can use pretty much any kind of ground meat, any kind of cheese, and then choose your own herbs and spices to complement the flavors you have chosen to use.
Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with Feta – What Kind of Pasta?
You can use any kind of pasta for this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta. I often use penne pasta but recently discovered maccheroncelli which is a long, tubular pasta that is great with heavy sauces or in casseroles. Another similar type is perciatelle or you can use macaroni, penne, spaghetti… whatever you like really. Continue reading
The following Greek couscous salad offers all the wonderful flavors typically found in Greek salad. Those include feta cheese, tomatoes, Kalamata olives and cucumber, along with a bright and zingy lemon-based dressing. But then you also have couscous in there which works perfectly and makes the Greek couscous salad more filling.
This Greek couscous salad is a versatile dish which can be served as an appetizer or main dish, perhaps teamed with some crusty bread and aioli or butter. It can be served chilled or at room temperature although we prefer it at room temperature because the flavors are better that way. Making a change from a Greek pasta salad recipe or other chilled Greek vegetable dish, you will find this refreshing and tasty.
This amazing Greek dish is famed not only in Greece but anywhere in the world there are Greek people or Greek restaurants. I personally love Spanakopita Greek spinach pie and one slice is never enough! The joy of Spanakopita Greek spinach pie is that it is made with phyllo pastry. Adding melted butter between the pastry layers makes it really flaky and tasty. The filling is spinach, egg, 2 kinds of cheese, onion and parsley, and the flavor is simply amazing.
You can either make triangular servings or one large Spanakopita Greek spinach pie which is cut into slices. The method is the same but the large pie will take about twice the time to bake as the individual portions, so the choice is yours which to make. Although phyllo (also spelt filo) dough is more common, some recipes will tell you to make a flour and water crust instead which offers a heavier texture.
This type of dough is made in the Greek islands. Some recipes call for salty, white, fresh cheese to be used instead of the feta, and we usually add parmesan too, for a nice tangy contrast.
Greek salad is one of the most popular kinds, which is why most people have a good idea of what goes in there. Our traditional Greek salad recipe is simple to put together and you will recognize all the wonderful Mediterranean flavors in there.
Feta cheese, olives, cucumber and tomatoes usually feature in this salad, but how do you make Greek dressing to finish it off in style, so you can close your eyes and imagine you are sitting by the ocean on a Greek beach? Read on and discover how to make our tasty and traditional Greek salad.
This traditional Greek salad recipe is very simple and suitable for even novice home cooks. Sometimes I like to make this for lunch, or even for a light dinner. Serve it with bread and aioli (garlic mayonnaise) if you want. Something else you can do is serve this Greek salad recipe as an appetizer, in smaller portions, before the main dish or else serve it as a side dish with our easy roast duck legs recipe.
- All About Easy Wonton RecipesI love discovering new recipes. I also love sharing them, hence the creation of Easy Wonton Recipe, the site where my wonton-related content was before I shifted it over here! Cooking is fun and I especially love cooking for others and seeing their eyes light up as they enjoy my culinary creations. There are plenty of easy wonton recipes for every palate and I often like to try new ones out. A lot of people don’t realize that it is possible to make the most amazing flavored dishes using basic ingredients and good, wholesome, fresh produce. You don’t need to combine thirty ingredients to make a tasty meal and, as long as .....
- Brilliant Bruschetta RecipeA bruschetta recipe is one of the best Italian appetizers. It is made by rubbing garlic over grilled bread, then adding olive oil, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Some types of bruschetta recipe might also include cured meat, cheese, tomatoes, beans, or vegetables. The best-known bruschetta recipe outside Italy features fresh tomato, garlic and onion, fresh basil, and mozzarella. So Many Bruschetta Recipe Options A great bruschetta recipe is found on Italian restaurant menus all over the world, and there are hundreds of different ways to make it, which is why restaurant bruschetta ranges from bland to wonderful, depending who is making it. Make .....
- The Evolution of Starter RecipesIt’s interesting to learn about the evolution of starter recipes. Starters, or appetizers as they are also known, are served in most cuisines and cultures. These snacks were served in ancient Persia thousands of years ago and ancient Roman aristocracy used to enjoy eggs, fruit and similar treats before eating their main course. Appetizers have been served for many years in the UK as a snack before the main course arrived but modern ones can be quite different from old fashioned ones. Of course, you can still serve traditional recipes but it is also fun to experiment with the wide range of ingredients that are available today but that .....
- How to Enjoy ChampagneAlthough there are lots of types of sparkling white wine to choose from (cava, prosecco etc) it is fair to say nothing is the same as champagne. This sparkling white wine is made from chardonnay grapes in the Champagne region in France and is produced in a specific way. It is worth knowing how to enjoy champagne since its fullest so you can treasure every sip of this exquisite drink. The rules of champagne making demand secondary fermentation of the champagne wine in the bottle to create the carbonation. The main grapes used to make it are white chardonnay, pinot meunier and black pinot noir, although these vary. A ‘blanc de .....
- Spanakopita Greek Spinach PieThis amazing Greek dish is famed not only in Greece but anywhere in the world there are Greek people or Greek restaurants. I personally love Spanakopita Greek spinach pie and one slice is never enough! The joy of Spanakopita Greek spinach pie is that it is made with phyllo pastry. Adding melted butter between the pastry layers makes it really flaky and tasty. The filling is spinach, egg, 2 kinds of cheese, onion and parsley, and the flavor is simply amazing. You can either make triangular servings or one large Spanakopita Greek spinach pie which is cut into slices. The method is the same but the large pie will take about twice the time to .....
- Chunky Vegetable Stew with Potato RostiNothing beats a stew on a chilly day, and even if you do not eat meat or chicken, you can still make the most wonderful flavored chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti. This dish is made with vegetables instead of meat so it is also nutritious. The onion and garlic are fried first, just to turn them golden brown and bring out their wonderful aromas, then all the other ingredients go into the pot and the stew really starts to take shape. The seasonings for the chunky vegetable stew with potato rosti are cumin and orange juice, and then of course you have the garlic taste. This might not sound like much but don’t forget how great the .....
- Healthy Desserts with BananaAlthough fried banana wontons are not the most diet-friendly dessert, they are great for an occasional treat. If you want something a bit healthier, then you could adapt this recipe or make another one. Healthy desserts with banana as one of the ingredients are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and they’re healthier than a simple carb and sugar confection. Try baking the banana wontons instead of deep-frying them. You will need to spritz a little spray oil on them to get them crispy but baked wontons are also very good. You can serve a sugar-free chocolate sauce or fruit sauce with them. Grilled Banana Recipe Let’s think of some .....
- How to Create Your Own Curry RecipeThis is a 4-step guide to making curry, and you can make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. Follow the steps learning how to create your own curry recipe and you will end up with the most delicious dish. There is nothing to worry about when making such a dish and it is best to get creative. So read through this to find out the 4 stages of curry making, then get yourself into the kitchen and prepare something wonderful – no need to follow any recipe to the letter! Step 1 in this how to create your own curry guide is all about softening any dense ingredients which will take a long time to tenderize. If you are using tough cuts of meat .....
- Easy Cheese Stuffed Squid in Tomato SauceThis squid is stuffed with an aromatic garlic, ricotta and Parmesan mixture, and then slowly braised in a delicious tomato sauce. Choose cheese stuffed squid in tomato sauce if you want to impress. This is a classic stuffed calamari recipe and the flavor is so good. Squid has to be cooked very fast or very slow, and in this recipe it is slowly cooked for about half an hour and then you should be able to slide a sharp knife through the squid easily. When you can do this, it is ready to serve. The nicest way to stuff squid is to slice it into equal sized pieces and arrange them on a plate, so you can see the filling. You could just serve the .....
- Crispy Chicken on Kale SaladSometimes the best salads are those which team contrasting ingredients. Take this one, for example. The crispy warm chicken contrasts with the cool kale salad perfectly. I often used mixed salad leaves instead of kale, but my husband loves kale so I use that whenever I can. This crispy chicken on kale salad is so good! The Perfect Contrast The chicken is coated in a tasty panko and parmesan mixture and baked in the oven until it is golden brown and crispy, then you can slice it and serve it on top of the tangy honey-mustard dressed salad. This crispy chicken on kale salad sounds good but tastes even better. This is filling, nutritious and .....