I have to say this moussaka with potatoes and eggplant is one of my absolute favorite dishes. Moussaka is popular in countries of the former Ottoman empire. There are lots of regional and local variations. This dish might be made with potatoes or eggplant, or both, and usually with ground lamb too.
Moussaka is eaten cold in Arabic countries, sauteed and served casserole style in Turkey, and layered and served hot in the Balkans. A lot of moussaka variations have an egg-thickened milk sauce on top, or a bechamel (flour-based) sauce.
Origin of the Word Moussaka
The word moussaka comes from mousakás, a Greek word, which came from the Turkish musakka and the Arabic musaqqa’ah, meaning chilled. The dish is usually based on ground meat, sauteed eggplant and tomato.
The Greek version has meat, eggplant and a bechamel sauce and it is baked in the oven. It is thought the Greek version dates back to the 1920s. The sliced eggplant layer on the bottom is topped with a ground lamb and tomato layer, and then you also have onion, garlic, allspice, cinnamon and black pepper in there for flavor. On top is a bechamel sauce layer. Continue reading
Dips are always fun to make, especially if you have a food processor and can whip them up in seconds! Although sometimes a hot dip is good, such as this hot and creamy crab dip or even our tasty artichoke dip, cool and creamy dips are also good. Try our Greek yogurt avocado dip if you like cool, creamy dips for your chips or crudites.
When I made this particular recipe I enjoyed it with Doritos, but you could serve this with crackers, vegetable crudites, melba toast, baguette bread slices, corn chips, potato chips, or anything else you want to dip in there. I made this in literally 3 minutes and the flavor was amazing. I wasn’t planning to eat all of this Greek yogurt avocado dip but, uh, well you know how it is!
What You Need to Make Greek YogurtAavocado Dip
You will need some Greek yogurt, an avocado, some lime juice, and salt and black pepper to taste. If you want, you can swap the Greek yogurt for sour cream or use half and half. I’ve made it both ways, and both are good. Serve this as a Greek yogurt avocado dressing over salad if you want. If you prefer a thinner consistency, add a splash of milk (only a little bit because you don’t want it too thin). Some cilantro in the Greek yogurt avocado dip is also nice, or you could put a small pinch of garlic powder in there. Even some hot sauce for a special zing! Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
This Greek lamb pasta bake with feta is a delicious dish, pairing pasta with ground lamb, feta cheese and other Greek flavors. It is similar to pastitsio, Greece’s answer to lasagna, and you will find it really delicious and warming.
Serve this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta with a simple salad on the side and a balsamic and extra-virgin olive oil dressing, or else just enjoy it by itself. If you’re into carbs, a slice of lightly toasted baguette bread would go well with this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta too. There are so many pasta bake recipes to choose from, and the great thing about such a dish is you can use pretty much any kind of ground meat, any kind of cheese, and then choose your own herbs and spices to complement the flavors you have chosen to use.
Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with Feta – What Kind of Pasta?
You can use any kind of pasta for this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta. I often use penne pasta but recently discovered maccheroncelli which is a long, tubular pasta that is great with heavy sauces or in casseroles. Another similar type is perciatelle or you can use macaroni, penne, spaghetti… whatever you like really. Continue reading
The following Greek couscous salad offers all the wonderful flavors typically found in Greek salad. Those include feta cheese, tomatoes, Kalamata olives and cucumber, along with a bright and zingy lemon-based dressing. But then you also have couscous in there which works perfectly and makes the Greek couscous salad more filling.
This Greek couscous salad is a versatile dish which can be served as an appetizer or main dish, perhaps teamed with some crusty bread and aioli or butter. It can be served chilled or at room temperature although we prefer it at room temperature because the flavors are better that way. Making a change from a Greek pasta salad recipe or other chilled Greek vegetable dish, you will find this refreshing and tasty.
This amazing Greek dish is famed not only in Greece but anywhere in the world there are Greek people or Greek restaurants. I personally love Spanakopita Greek spinach pie and one slice is never enough! The joy of Spanakopita Greek spinach pie is that it is made with phyllo pastry. Adding melted butter between the pastry layers makes it really flaky and tasty. The filling is spinach, egg, 2 kinds of cheese, onion and parsley, and the flavor is simply amazing.
You can either make triangular servings or one large Spanakopita Greek spinach pie which is cut into slices. The method is the same but the large pie will take about twice the time to bake as the individual portions, so the choice is yours which to make. Although phyllo (also spelt filo) dough is more common, some recipes will tell you to make a flour and water crust instead which offers a heavier texture.
This type of dough is made in the Greek islands. Some recipes call for salty, white, fresh cheese to be used instead of the feta, and we usually add parmesan too, for a nice tangy contrast.
Greek salad is one of the most popular kinds, which is why most people have a good idea of what goes in there. Our traditional Greek salad recipe is simple to put together and you will recognize all the wonderful Mediterranean flavors in there.
Feta cheese, olives, cucumber and tomatoes usually feature in this salad, but how do you make Greek dressing to finish it off in style, so you can close your eyes and imagine you are sitting by the ocean on a Greek beach? Read on and discover how to make our tasty and traditional Greek salad.
This traditional Greek salad recipe is very simple and suitable for even novice home cooks. Sometimes I like to make this for lunch, or even for a light dinner. Serve it with bread and aioli (garlic mayonnaise) if you want. Something else you can do is serve this Greek salad recipe as an appetizer, in smaller portions, before the main dish or else serve it as a side dish with our easy roast duck legs recipe.
- School Backpacks for GirlsSchool backpacks for girls come in a huge array of different styles, colors and designs, which will ensure that you can choose a style that your little girl will love. There are several different elements that you need to consider before purchasing the backpack. These include the durability, price, style and versatility of the backpack. The age of your child will often determine the size of backpack that you need to choose, as older children will need larger bags to carry books and materials. You will be amazed at the amount of equipment which your child will need for school. However, you should not expect your child to lift a backpack that .....
- How to Make a Wonton Noodle RecipeMaking your own wonton noodle recipe, or wonton wrappers, from scratch is not difficult. Although there are different wonton wrapper recipes, this is perhaps the simplest and it offers a very good result. Yes you can buy them from the store but should you? Of course that very much depends on the results you are looking for. If you want to take the time to learn how to make wonton wrappers then it is well worth making them. You will get a fresher taste and you will also get lots of kudos from everyone enjoying your homemade wontons if they learn you not only filled and cooked the wontons but learned how to make wonton skins and made the whole .....
- AppetizersDiscover Amazing Appetizers The best starter recipes are the ones you feel would be most suitable for the occasion, plus those appetizers which go nicely before your chosen main course. Perhaps you want to make a hot meat starter recipe, a delicately flavored fish starter or something with eggs, cheese or even fruit. We have a lot of different starter recipes for you to browse and choose from, as well as plenty of handy starter making tips. You can make starters for two people to enjoy over a cozy dinner or lots of different snacks for a buffet or a big party. You will find plenty of choice here, when it comes to snacks and appetizers .....
- Ruby’s Copycat Peanut Butter Wolf CocktailI first tried this gorgeous peanut butter wolf cocktail at Ruby Burgers in Queen Street, Exeter, currently my favorite American diner style restaurant in England! Although I don’t know the exact recipe they use, I have a copycat recipe for peanut butter wolf cocktail here which tastes very similar if you wish to recreate the flavor of this cocktail in your own home. It’s not the healthiest beverage but hey, festive times are a-coming and it’s always worth having a cocktail recipe like this up your sleeve! And consider trying my copycat version of their hoisin duck brioche too! Delicious Ingredients for Peanut Butter Wolf .....
- Healthy Desserts with BananaAlthough fried banana wontons are not the most diet-friendly dessert, they are great for an occasional treat. If you want something a bit healthier, then you could adapt this recipe or make another one. Healthy desserts with banana as one of the ingredients are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and they’re healthier than a simple carb and sugar confection. Try baking the banana wontons instead of deep-frying them. You will need to spritz a little spray oil on them to get them crispy but baked wontons are also very good. You can serve a sugar-free chocolate sauce or fruit sauce with them. Grilled Banana Recipe Let’s think of some .....
- Best Gourmet Food Gift BasketsIf you aren’t sure what to give as a gift, then a gourmet food gift basket is a wonderful idea. Giving the gift of food never gets old. Everyone loves to eat and there are gift baskets for every budget and taste. Choose from the best gourmet food gift baskets to find the perfect one for the occasion. You can get themed gift baskets, perhaps with a range of delicious cheeses and some crackers, or you might prefer something offering nuts, cookies, preserves, wine and more, so there is definitely something for everyone in there. Best Gourmet Food Gift Baskets: Some Ideas Give a gift hamper to a family, couple or individual and personalize .....
- 7 Winter Comfort Food RecipesComfort food tends to be hot, thick and tasty, and it can apply to both sweet and savory dishes. What is your favorite comfort food? Do you love winter comfort food recipes as much as I do? Are you into burgers and fries, homemade mac and cheese, onion rings with a creamy dip, a bowl of chili, or how about apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream? Homemade bread is wonderful, as is pizza. Winter comfort food recipes might not be the healthiest of food but balance it out by eating healthy meals at other times, and it can be part of a balanced diet. Although American food is what many of us think of when considering comfort food recipes, other .....
- Marsala Chicken with AsparagusMarsala chicken is a tasty Italian dish which you can find not only in the best Italian restaurants but also in your very own kitchen if you choose to follow this marsala chicken with asparagus recipe. This marsala chicken with asparagus dish is made with chicken thighs which offer more flavor than breast, and are also juicier and more succulent. Chicken thighs are harder to overcook and dry out than chicken breast. Leek, fennel and asparagus make up the vegetable content of the dish. As well as the chicken and veggies, this Italian Marsala chicken recipe features lemon juice, Marsala wine and parsley, to bring out all the delicious flavors .....
- Authentic Thai Chicken Soup RecipeYesterday I decided to get a Thai massage. I suffer from a stiff neck and shoulders. For some reason, I hold all my tension in there! I love a good hot oil massage but the Thai massage is, well slightly different. More ‘painful’ but today I can move really freely and feel great! The woman was literally walking up my legs and back, digging her knees and elbows into me and making me yelp! However, ‘no pain no gain’ as they say, and today I can honestly say I feel great after it. And yes, all that gave me the inspiration to make this authentic Thai chicken soup recipe. Thai Food Inspiration While I was having this .....
- Easy Chicken and Peach SaladThis easy chicken and peach salad takes mere minutes to put together and it’s a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. I’ve made it with chicken breast but you could use other cooked chicken pieces or some deli chicken slices. You could even use rotisserie chicken to make this (perhaps, still warm – yum!) This easy chicken and peach salad is made on a bed of iceberg lettuce, but of course you can switch the iceberg for any variety. Baby salad leaves would be good or chopped romaine. I like to add some lamb’s lettuce or a contrasting variety as well. Then you have the chicken on top, plus some peach for juicy .....