Monthly Archives: February 2014
Also known as omurice or omu-rice, omuraisu is a typical Japanese dish featuring fried rice and omelet, and often some ketchup too. Omuraisu is a contraction of the Japanese words for omelet and egg. This omuraisu recipe is not hard to make and you will love the flavor.
This dish can be found in Western style restaurants in Japan as well as in Japanese homes, and it was also introduced to Korea under Japanese rule. You can find it in Taiwan too which was also under Japanese rule for some time. This dish has been around since the early 1900s.
Different Kinds of Omurice
Chicken rice, chicken and vegetable rice or beef rice can be wrapped in a thin fried egg sheet to make an omuraisu recipe. Sometimes ketchup or white sauce is added to the rice. Continue reading
Add ham to your lentil soup and not only do you have a tasty, nutritious soup but you can also enjoy the meatiness that ham adds in there. Ham and lentil soup is great for lunch or as a comforting, warming snack.
Whether you are using a ham hock or some leftover cooked ham, you can add that flavor to the lentil soup and be guaranteed that it will come out beautifully.
Ham and lentil soup is usually thick and chunky, and the lentils will start to disintegrate when they are cooked, thickening up the soup without you needing to add starch or another thickener.
Why You Should Make this Ham and Lentil Soup
This is a great recipe for home cooks because it is so easy. Also, lentil and ham soup is an economical option. Buy some dried lentils and ham and you can prepare this wonderful feast in next to no time. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
This low carb tortilla pizza is incredibly good and it takes about 10 minutes to make and the same again to cook. Whether or not you have made pizza before, you will find this low carb tortilla pizza incredibly simple, and the sky is the limit as far as toppings are concerned.
Use a low-carb tortilla to make your pizza. I recommend the Mama Lupe ones because they’re so good and only 3 carbs (and 60 calories) each. And they are the closest in flavor to regular tortillas. I also tried the La Tortilla brand for my low carb tortilla pizza because those are only 50 calories each but… nope not as good as the Mama Lupe ones.
This low carb tortilla pizza recipe makes a fabulous dinner, and it is also quick enough to make for lunch. Whatever meal you are making this pizza for, you are sure to find it filling and delicious.
Keep some low-carb tortillas in the refrigerator (they keep for weeks in there) and rustle one of these up whenever you’re in the mood for some comfort food! Continue reading
I had some leftover broccoli and decided to experiment a little, after the success of my vegetable jeon the other day. These Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes came out really well and I decided to share the recipe. They are so good!
What are Jeon?
Jeon (pronounced jun) is a Korean pancake and these fantastic little snacks make a great appetizer, or you could serve them as the main dish. Suitable for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack, there are lots of different jeon recipes.
Making this Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes recipe is easy. Combine an egg, a couple tablespoons of flour and a handful of your main ingredient (could be mashed butterbeans, canned tuna, grated vegetables or anything else you fancy) with your preferred seasonings. You can then divide the mixture into patties and saute them in a skillet until golden brown. Continue reading
This tuna with a sesame crust is a fabulous way to showcase the wonderful flavor of fresh tuna, and you will not believe just how easy this recipe is to make, even if you’re new to cooking fresh fish or don’t often do it
Even a total novice in the kitchen will be able to pull this recipe off and end up with a very impressive dish.
To make it, you just need some tuna steaks and sesame seeds, both black and white, and then some oil for frying and salt to add extra flavor. In addition to that you will need a big nonstick skillet.
Tips for Cooking Tuna with a Sesame Crust
There is nothing hard about cooking fresh fish, especially not tuna. The only thing to watch out for is not too overcook it. Tuna is lean which means it can dry out if you’re not careful, and you don’t want to do that to this delicious fish. Continue reading
These delicious spicy Thai corn fritters are so quick and simple to put together and they make a tasty appetizer or side dish.
All you need to make these is some corn kernels (you can use drained canned corn, or even thawed corn kernels), a little flour and an egg. Then to finish off you just need some minced or finely chopped chili pepper and a little Thai fish sauce.
How to Serve Thai Corn Fritters
Try these as a side dish or appetizer, or make them as the main dish, perhaps with some tasty salad on the side. You might like to make a batch of Thai appetizers to showcase these, so everyone can try different Thai treats, or else just make these as they are and serve with rice or else just a simple Thai dipping sauce. Continue reading
- Canapes for a PartyCanapes (KAH-nah-pays) for a party, which are also known as hors d’oevres, are little snacks which are served with drinks, either by themselves or before the sit-down meal is ready. These canapes for a party can be very simple and might be something spread on crackers or melba toast, or even a stuffed cherry tomato or deviled egg. The best canapes for a party are those which can be eaten with the fingers, so people can just pick them up without making their fingers messy. Also, they should be able to be eaten in one or two bites, and you shouldn’t need cutlery. A canape in one hand and a drink in the other is fine. Add cutlery .....
- How to Make Vegetable QuicheFew things are as delicious as a good vegetarian quiche, and learning how to make vegetable quiche is something that any home cook can do with ease. You can include as few or as many veggies as you like, and choose from various types of crusts and fillings, to make your vegetarian quiche recipe perfect for your palate. Once you discover how to make quiche you will want to experiment with diverse crusts and fillings. Not only will you love the resulting quiche but your family are sure to love it too. Quiche is a healthy option, boasting the protein from eggs, the nutrients in the veggies, and it is also really filling and will keep you .....
- Potato Wrapped Fish FiletsThis potato wrapped fish filets recipe is something which is easy enough for the home cook to master but will give professional results. If you love fish and potatoes, why not combine them to make this delicious recipe? Whether you are used to tasty stuffed squid recipes and other seafood dishes, or not, you will love this. The potatoes need to be thin enough to wrap around the fish, although you can choose any type of potatoes and any type of fish. Perhaps you love the big flakes cod offers, the economical price of basa fish or tilapia, or the distinctive flavor of salmon. Whichever makes your mouth water would be an ideal candidate for .....
- Hungarian Venison Goulash StewThis Hungarian venison goulash stew is a real winter warmer of a recipe, offering amazing comfort food for those chilly fall and winter evenings. An authentic Hungarian recipe, this is sure to fill even the hungriest belly, and it is easy to make as well, even if you are new to cooking venison, new to making stews, or just never made this particular recipe before. The results will be great. Serving Hungarian Venison Goulash Stew Serve this Hungarian venison goulash stew with mashed potatoes, fluffy white rice, dumplings, vegetables, or anything else you want. Personally I like garlic mashed potatoes with plenty of butter mashed into them! .....
- Sparkly Swarovski Cat CollarsSwarovski crystals are beautiful and if you are looking for an extra special collar for your feline friend then why not buy Swarovski cat collars? Costing less than you might imagine, these lovely collars will look gorgeous on your cat. I have tried a few different ones, although my favorite is the simple 10-diamonds on velvet style. My cat Cleo is black with flashes of gray in her fur, so I usually go with a bright color like pink or red. She’s 9 so she has had a few collars and she had her current one for a couple of years so far. Choosing Swarovski cat collars is not difficult. Just pick out something which you like and make sure .....
- How Many Calories in WineA lot of people dieting know how many calories are in food, or at least they have some idea and then find out the rest, so they can keep a record, but how about calories in wine because those count just as much. Wine drinkers might be surprised how many calories are in their favorite tipple. In fact, if you drink wine it’s vital to know. So, how many calories in wine exactly? Although most wines are less than 100 calories a glass that is not always the case and of course it depends on the serving size. Wine is lower in calories than a lot of other alcoholic drinks, with Sauvignon Blanc and Zinfandel at less than 80 calories a serving. .....
- Easy Tofu PhoPho is a delicious Vietnamese noodle soup made with rice noodles, broth, meat, seafood or a vegetarian alternative, and herbs. Beef and chicken are the most popular flavors but you can make a great vegetarian pho with tofu. This easy tofu pho is just gorgeous and you’ll love the flavors. This is a well-loved street food in Vietnam, and the Southern Vietnamese enjoy it for breakfast or lunch, while those in the north of the country have it at any time of the day or evening. History of Pho Soup This dish dates back to the early 1900s and refugees introduced it to the rest of the world after the Vietnam War. There is no proof of the .....
- Baked Beef Wontons with Bell PepperThe following recipe shows you how to make baked beef wontons which also contain bell pepper for a colorful finish. Baking wontons is an alternative to frying them if you happen to have the oven on anyway or if you want to trim the fat content. These delicious little morsels make wonderful appetizers and it is up to you what shape you make them – open so you can see the beef and colorful bell pepper filling, or closed so the filling is a surprise. Tips and Tricks for Perfect Baked Beef Wontons You could even make moneybags by pinching the tops closed so they look like moneybags, but most people like to leave these open, so people can .....
- Chili Squid with TomatoesThis chili squid with tomatoes recipe is for lovers of all things spicy, since chili is used plentifully. Chili and tomato goes well, which is good because the sauce is tomato-based. You could use fresh tomatoes for this but honestly the canned type are just as good here. The squid is stuffed with a mixture of egg, bread and cilantro. This is how you make this chili squid with tomatoes a success. The filling should be sticky but not too ‘wet’ so add the egg a little at a time. If it is not wet enough add extra egg to it. This is a very simple filling so you can appreciate the flavor of the squid without any of the ingredients .....
- Which Dishes to MakeDeciding which dishes to make is not always so easy. There is no clear cut answer to that question but you narrow the possibilities down. Choose from hot or cold starters, meat, fish or vegetarian ones, something quick and easy or something impressive. Maybe you already know that two of your guests don’t like pork and it is going to be a hot evening. That can make it easier. What about a chilled chicken salad or a classic prawn cocktail? If you are new to cooking and already nervous about making starters, a main course and a dessert, then don’t pick something complicated! You won’t be impressing anyone if it goes wrong. .....