Monthly Archives: February 2014
Also known as omurice or omu-rice, omuraisu is a typical Japanese dish featuring fried rice and omelet, and often some ketchup too. Omuraisu is a contraction of the Japanese words for omelet and egg. This omuraisu recipe is not hard to make and you will love the flavor.
This dish can be found in Western style restaurants in Japan as well as in Japanese homes, and it was also introduced to Korea under Japanese rule. You can find it in Taiwan too which was also under Japanese rule for some time. This dish has been around since the early 1900s.
Different Kinds of Omurice
Chicken rice, chicken and vegetable rice or beef rice can be wrapped in a thin fried egg sheet to make an omuraisu recipe. Sometimes ketchup or white sauce is added to the rice. Continue reading
Add ham to your lentil soup and not only do you have a tasty, nutritious soup but you can also enjoy the meatiness that ham adds in there. Ham and lentil soup is great for lunch or as a comforting, warming snack.
Whether you are using a ham hock or some leftover cooked ham, you can add that flavor to the lentil soup and be guaranteed that it will come out beautifully.
Ham and lentil soup is usually thick and chunky, and the lentils will start to disintegrate when they are cooked, thickening up the soup without you needing to add starch or another thickener.
Why You Should Make this Ham and Lentil Soup
This is a great recipe for home cooks because it is so easy. Also, lentil and ham soup is an economical option. Buy some dried lentils and ham and you can prepare this wonderful feast in next to no time. Continue reading
Some More Hot Content For You
This low carb tortilla pizza is incredibly good and it takes about 10 minutes to make and the same again to cook. Whether or not you have made pizza before, you will find this low carb tortilla pizza incredibly simple, and the sky is the limit as far as toppings are concerned.
Use a low-carb tortilla to make your pizza. I recommend the Mama Lupe ones because they’re so good and only 3 carbs (and 60 calories) each. And they are the closest in flavor to regular tortillas. I also tried the La Tortilla brand for my low carb tortilla pizza because those are only 50 calories each but… nope not as good as the Mama Lupe ones.
This low carb tortilla pizza recipe makes a fabulous dinner, and it is also quick enough to make for lunch. Whatever meal you are making this pizza for, you are sure to find it filling and delicious.
Keep some low-carb tortillas in the refrigerator (they keep for weeks in there) and rustle one of these up whenever you’re in the mood for some comfort food! Continue reading
I had some leftover broccoli and decided to experiment a little, after the success of my vegetable jeon the other day. These Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes came out really well and I decided to share the recipe. They are so good!
What are Jeon?
Jeon (pronounced jun) is a Korean pancake and these fantastic little snacks make a great appetizer, or you could serve them as the main dish. Suitable for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack, there are lots of different jeon recipes.
Making this Korean tuna and broccoli pancakes recipe is easy. Combine an egg, a couple tablespoons of flour and a handful of your main ingredient (could be mashed butterbeans, canned tuna, grated vegetables or anything else you fancy) with your preferred seasonings. You can then divide the mixture into patties and saute them in a skillet until golden brown. Continue reading
This tuna with a sesame crust is a fabulous way to showcase the wonderful flavor of fresh tuna, and you will not believe just how easy this recipe is to make, even if you’re new to cooking fresh fish or don’t often do it
Even a total novice in the kitchen will be able to pull this recipe off and end up with a very impressive dish.
To make it, you just need some tuna steaks and sesame seeds, both black and white, and then some oil for frying and salt to add extra flavor. In addition to that you will need a big nonstick skillet.
Tips for Cooking Tuna with a Sesame Crust
There is nothing hard about cooking fresh fish, especially not tuna. The only thing to watch out for is not too overcook it. Tuna is lean which means it can dry out if you’re not careful, and you don’t want to do that to this delicious fish. Continue reading
These delicious spicy Thai corn fritters are so quick and simple to put together and they make a tasty appetizer or side dish.
All you need to make these is some corn kernels (you can use drained canned corn, or even thawed corn kernels), a little flour and an egg. Then to finish off you just need some minced or finely chopped chili pepper and a little Thai fish sauce.
How to Serve Thai Corn Fritters
Try these as a side dish or appetizer, or make them as the main dish, perhaps with some tasty salad on the side. You might like to make a batch of Thai appetizers to showcase these, so everyone can try different Thai treats, or else just make these as they are and serve with rice or else just a simple Thai dipping sauce. Continue reading
- Low Carb Paella Using Cauli RiceWhen I worked in Gran Canaria I used to eat paella a lot. In fact I made friends with a local chef who used to make a special batch for me minus the peas (my pet food hate!) This rice-based delicacy was served with half a baguette, plenty of alioli, or ai oli (or garlic mayo) and perhaps a sangria on the side. At that time I had never even heard of a low carb paella using cauli rice because I was enjoying the real thing too much to deviate. Try as I might, I could never tire of this wonderful Spanish dish. Fast forward a decade and I still love that flavor but my husband is diabetic and rice is a no-no. So I wondered at this point whether .....
- Potato Pierogi RecipeThis potato pierogi recipe is one of my favorites, but what are pierogi exactly? Well, pierogi are unleavened dough dumplings which are boiled and then fried or baked in butter. They can be stuffed with potatoes, ground meat, fruit, cheese, sauerkraut, or something else. Pierogi are normally half moon shape but they can also be triangular or rectangular. Not to be confused with pirog (Russian pies) or pirozhki (Russian stuffed fried buns), pierogi are small enough to be served several at a time, which is why the plural of the word is used when talking about them. These little snacks are popular in Russia, Ukraine, the Czech Republic, .....
- Wonderful Weightwatchers RecipesWeightWatchers is certainly a diet to consider if you want to lose a few pounds. This company was founded by Jean Nidetch from Brooklyn in the 1960s. Today WeightWatchers is international and operates in more than thirty countries. There are lots of WeightWatchers recipes you can make, most of which are really tasty. This diet program includes regular meetings, group support and a points system to calculate how much food you can eat in order to shed excess weight. Weightwatchers Recipes and Weight Watchers Points Each type of food or beverage has a point value and you first calculate how many points you are allowed per day (depending on your .....
- Apple and Parsnip Soup RecipeParsnip is a great ingredient for soups because it goes well with other vegetables or with fruit and has a great flavor. You can grow your own parsnips if you live somewhere cold because they don’t reach their peak until they’ve had a couple of hard frosts. This apple and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make and really good for any season. It makes pretty good comfort food too! Beautiful Flavor Combo This apple and parsnip soup recipe is warming and what I especially love about it is the combination of sweet and savory it offers. The apple is of course sweet while the parsnip is mostly savory but with a special, natural sweetness .....
- Best Loaded Nachos Comfort Food StyleSo you want to make the best loaded nachos comfort food? You’ve come to the right page. Very few dishes offer as much as nachos do, and that includes the wonderful flavors combining spicy with creamy with mild, as well as textures because you have all kinds of those, ranging from soft to crunchy. Nachos can be served as a snack, appetizer or meal, and homemade nachos are, of course, the best! The following best loaded nachos comfort food recipe combines nachos with beef, homemade pico de gallo, cheese, spices, and more. But this is your recipe so you could take inspiration from the photo and use leftover roast beef instead of the .....
- Greek Lamb Pasta Bake with FetaThis Greek lamb pasta bake with feta is a delicious dish, pairing pasta with ground lamb, feta cheese and other Greek flavors. It is similar to pastitsio, Greece’s answer to lasagna, and you will find it really delicious and warming. Serve this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta with a simple salad on the side and a balsamic and extra-virgin olive oil dressing, or else just enjoy it by itself. If you’re into carbs, a slice of lightly toasted baguette bread would go well with this Greek lamb pasta bake with feta too. There are so many pasta bake recipes to choose from, and the great thing about such a dish is you can use pretty much .....
- Deep-Fried Chicken Dim SumThis tempting deep-fried chicken dim sum recipe serves a crowd, and you can double it too. It is easy to make if you are methodical, mixing the filling together, then distributing it between the wrappers and working in batches. The crunchy hot chicken treats can be served alone or with your favorite sauce. Why We Love Deep-Fried Chicken Dim Sum, Actually ALL Dim Sum! Known as dim sum in Chinese, appetizers in the Western world, or tapas in Spain, small snacks will always have a place in our hearts and on our tables. They can precede a main dish or just be served as a snack. Dim sum, or Chinese appetizers, are versatile, tasty and just so .....
- Best Rolling BackpackFirst things first, so what is a rolling backpack? A rolling backpack is a backpack on wheels, although it also has straps so you can carry it on your back. This is an excellent idea for students, to ensure that you do not damage your back whilst transporting all of your books and materials. The best rolling backpack is going to be a great investment. As the amount of books needed for classes increases, the strain on your back can be intense. However, with the rolling backpack, you will apply no pressure to your back, and can ensure that you can transport everything you need. Best Rolling Backpack: Handy for Everybody Rolling backpacks are .....
- Marsala Chicken with AsparagusMarsala chicken is a tasty Italian dish which you can find not only in the best Italian restaurants but also in your very own kitchen if you choose to follow this marsala chicken with asparagus recipe. This marsala chicken with asparagus dish is made with chicken thighs which offer more flavor than breast, and are also juicier and more succulent. Chicken thighs are harder to overcook and dry out than chicken breast. Leek, fennel and asparagus make up the vegetable content of the dish. As well as the chicken and veggies, this Italian Marsala chicken recipe features lemon juice, Marsala wine and parsley, to bring out all the delicious flavors .....
- Simple Zucchini PancakesThese simple zucchini pancakes make a great breakfast and you can make them in advance, so what is not to love about that? Low in calories and fat (especially if you fry them in cooking spray rather than butter or oil) they can be enjoyed with sausage or bacon, or simply as they are, perhaps with some garlic mushrooms on the side or a broiled tomato. Try these simple zucchini pancakes and you will be surprised how great they are. Different Types of Pancakes Pancakes range from thin and crepe-like to thick and fluffy, and different people prefer them different ways. And yes some even prefer these simple zucchini pancakes. Personally I am more .....